Hulu Local Stations

GodfreyGR

Not sure if it's just my system/internet, and I'm positive it's a fluke, but my Hulu Live channel listings currently have what I think is every CBS affiliate in the country listed (Local affiliate is KVLY Fargo)

Not that I'm complaining- This is a TV news junkie's dream come true!

Anyone else hear/see of this happening before?

IMG_8320.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg

Of Course! KCNC, KIRO, KOIN, Vegas, Yuma, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Hawaii (it was The Talk, but I watched a minute or two just to say I did) and a couple of Sinclair stations I couldn't ID (CBS 10 and CBS 13).

Hulu figured out the error of their ways and started pulling stations.

I tried Hulu Live for a minute.  One of the drawbacks was that I couldn't sign in out-of-market with a friend's ID.  It tried to make me "move" the service to there, which would have screwed up their locals.

YTTV is more travel-friendly.  You can have your locals and watch things you DVR from there remotely after they've fully aired.   You can move your service up to twice a year and the locals are based on your location, so they change when the GPS changes.

Hulu Live is the same way now... I'm stuck with Fargo locals- thanks to the smart TV I can get Minneapolis (CBSN Minnesota, KSTP, KARE comes on NewsOn)... But if I watch on the road I get Minneapolis or Duluth (WDIO, KBJR) depending on GPS in the state.

Kind of nice to watch other locals and get their commercials etc. Wish you could set your "home" location to any zip code in the US a set number of times a year and not base it on GPS or router location.

You 

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Not sure if it's just my system/internet, and I'm positive it's a fluke, but my Hulu Live channel listings currently have what I think is every CBS affiliate in the country listed (Local affiliate is KVLY Fargo)

Not that I'm complaining- This is a TV news junkie's dream come true!

Anyone else hear/see of this happening before?

IMG_8320.jpg

IMG_8316.jpg

IMG_8318.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg

You hit the jackpot my man you could cover breaking from a variety of markets, especially with the protest and riots of George Floyd!!!

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Hulu Live is the same way now... I'm stuck with Fargo locals- thanks to the smart TV I can get Minneapolis (CBSN Minnesota, KSTP, KARE comes on NewsOn)... But if I watch on the road I get Minneapolis or Duluth (WDIO, KBJR) depending on GPS in the state.

Kind of nice to watch other locals and get their commercials etc. Wish you could set your "home" location to any zip code in the US a set number of times a year and not base it on GPS or router location.

I know on YTTV you can "visit" somewhere, you just have to sign into home zipcode every 3 months on the device you're using.  I'm not sure how Hulu does it, but YTTV uses your phone to the account or user you're signed into.  So wherever the phone is GPS-wise, you can set it to that location.    And yes, there are ways to tweak that....

8 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I know on YTTV you can "visit" somewhere, you just have to sign into home zipcode every 3 months on the device you're using.  I'm not sure how Hulu does it, but YTTV uses your phone to the account or user you're signed into.  So wherever the phone is GPS-wise, you can set it to that location.    And yes, there are ways to tweak that....

I'll be in Minneapolis this weekend... Going to have to try that! Nothing against my local stations or anything...

I remember back in the early days of local channels on DirecTV (before spot beams), there were random days (seemed like it was always on the weekends) when you'd be able to watch out-of-market local channels for a few hours. Distinctly remember watching news on KOMO, KIRO, WEWS, WJW from the Sacramento market... there were probably more, but it was always a fun surprise when it would happen.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, caliwxdude said:

I remember back in the early days of local channels on DirecTV (before spot beams), there were random days (seemed like it was always on the weekends) when you'd be able to watch out-of-market local channels for a few hours. Distinctly remember watching news on KOMO, KIRO, WEWS, WJW from the Sacramento market... there were probably more, but it was always a fun surprise when it would happen.

I saw the ABC glitch last week, too - got to check out Austin, MN (KAAL) and be happy that my weather was a bit warmer. That being said, your comment made my brain go to a similarly weird place—I grew up with a C-Band satellite dish and we had the east/west local stations that they arbitrarily picked. For the longest time, east was WABC, WRAL, and WXIA with WSEE switched in at some point. I can't recall the west coast ones, but I grew up in the Chicago market with us watching WLS (on antenna) for news and then switching to WABC at 6pm so we could watch Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy together. For a young kid, it was kind of weird to see the "other channel 7," but It also ingrained things like believing in Eyewitness News and NYNEX/New York Telephone from someone living hundreds of miles away.

Later on, I'd be thrilled to randomly pick up WWMT or WISN on our antenna—it was kind of a way to go somewhere else without actually traveling and we've kind of lost that. Heck, even now, I can go to any market with Scripps or Tegna and feel like I'm basically watching the home broadcasts with random scrubs filling in.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually remember a similar site called Filmon that have a lot of ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS stations. I actually remember watching some out of market stations back in 2014. Unfortunately, it got removed months later, most likely for copyright reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a way around it using VPN.  you still are subject to the three month rule though, but if you check in before the timer runs out, you're good to go.

ExpressVPN is what I have.  they have NYC/SFO/DFW/LA/and Seattle.

Works for locast too.

Side note, puffer still works too if you want locals from SFO

• 6 months later...

Same thing goes for me on Locast.  I'm a paying member (aka donating to a good charity) so I've been watching WGN while i'm "in Chicago."

I can see why the news got taken down from WGN America and is hard to get OTT.  The licensing they have to deal with is probably VERY expensive and the only way to make it work is to make it Chicago-only through OTA and cable/satellite.  Lots of music and clips in their newscasts.  But it is spot on and the show would not be the same without it.

Archived