New KRDO (maybe new NPG) graphics

MarkBRollins88_v2

16 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Looks like KRDO (NPG) premiered new graphics today.

Looks like they’re trying to mimic Good Morning America.

Want a hot take? These are hot garbage. 

Any worse than what CMG Tonight are premiering? At least this has texture! But the weather system hasn't been updated.

Actually, I'd say yes. The open is awful. The bug web brags are too tight against the time/temp bug.

Also they dropped CounterPoint, for, ready? Aerial. The least offensive SAM package (that was until Community for Scripps).

So they FINALLY switched away from Counterpint to, get this, Aerial. Talk about switching from one bland package to another.

With this switch, every station the DMA now uses very similar Stephen Arnold Packages.

This will change a little once KOAA makes the switch to the new (still Stephen Arnold) Scripps package soon, which at least will help differentiate them from the pack... but still... bland!

Here are some highlights from tonight’s 6 p.m. 

Those lower thirds are humongous and hideous.

I would also like to point out that their competitor’s building (KKTV) is front and center in their opening montage. 

151E022A-A147-4F9E-A5F7-BC6628A5FC6B.jpeg

9 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Are they calling the new Scripps package “Community” now? I move they should rename it to “ZQuil” because it has about the same effect. 

From SAM's perspective it's still a package without a name, but Community is what a few insiders and I came up with.

48 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I honestly have no clue...

those opening lower thirds with the anchors’ names... just... no

Just way too much going on with this package. Some of the little things actually look good, like some of their specially made graphs and some of the weather graphics, but when it comes to the big things, like show opens, lower thirds and Main backgrounds... yikes... someone just wanted to see how many colors and special effects they could add.

We’ve seen examples of “simpler is better” going too far (see Scripps, Tegna) but sometimes it’s also okay not to do every possible special effect there is, just because you can.

This package reminds me of the kitchen in the Brady bunch house. And not in a good way. 

Honestly, I thought their old package did a good job of taking the right tone and balance, and did not seem to be dated at all. Not sure why they felt the need to replace it.

all they really needed to do was get rid of counterpoint and replace it with ANYTHING but Aerial.

EF52F516-D6F6-49E3-A094-D293DD837111.png

I'll give them credit for being original in creating the gfx, instead of just "copying" what others are doing.   I'll also give them credit for not going to the other extreme of being anemic like Scripps or Tegna.

I'll speak especially to the 10pm open.  That has way too much going on in a short space of time.  If they want to go with that style of news open, they should try to stick with one or two transition patterns...instead of using everything in the software to animate the B-roll of the reporters.   And frankly the slogan just gets lost in those transitions.

I do, however, like the L3s.  If they can re-work the opens and use fewer transition styles, then I think this would be alright.

But tbh, the previous music and gfx actually worked really well.  Kinda disappointed they replaced that with this. 

Counterpoint has a unique sound--and I think KRDO should've stayed with it.

11 hours ago, abric said:

I believe the L3s are also used on WTVD, Raleigh (abc 11)

Similar:

image.png

6 hours ago, bammy99 said:

NPG's in-house graphics make the grand majority of Gray station graphics look palatable. 

I'm not sure if they actually have an in-house design team. This looks so wildly different from their previous package, which was a knockoff of the CBS Tribune package.  I think the KRDO package was created in-house at KRDO.

1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

What’s new about them? Only a colour change. Looks like the previous NPG package.

This looks so wildly different from their previous package, which was a knockoff of the CBS Tribune package. This is what they switched away from:

48 minutes ago, MartheJokester said:

The weather graphics should've been my little hint that new graphics were coming a few months ago. I prefer counterpoint even KJCT, a former NPG station now owned by gray still uses it.

Do you work for the station/company I assume? Will the other stations that got the new weather graphics also be getting these graphics? 

These seem to have a color scheme meant for the mountain west. 

I can’t see these looking good on some of the group’s midwestern stations like KMIZ or KNPN. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:22 AM, CircleSeven said:

No. WTVD is far more distinctive. In fact about it, the new KRDO L3 is more of a knock-off of WTVDs.

FhXfu0Z.png

Welp, it's time for my ABC Owned Station in my market the Raleigh-Durham market your truly my WTVD station to get a overhaul maybe align with KABC's/KGO/KFSN graphics package and lower-third scheme it isolate ourselves from KRDO an insanely small-market. we exemplify that wee a big market. Maybe redo the Durham studio still wishing for that anyways. But however WABC had it's current graphics package knocked off by a station in Western Massachusetts. And if I were to compare KRDO to WTVD's lower-third well WTVDs is more flatter, KRDO is more graphically colored.

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Welp, it's time for my ABC Owned Station in my market the Raleigh-Durham market your truly my WTVD station to get a overhaul maybe align with KABC's/KGO/KFSN graphics package and lower-third scheme it isolate ourselves from KRDO an insanely small-market. we exemplify that wee a big market. Maybe redo the Durham studio still wishing for that anyways. But however WABC had it's current graphics package knocked off by a station in Western Massachusetts. And if I were to compare KRDO to WTVD's lower-third well WTVDs is more flatter, KRDO is more graphically colored.

Ok. I'm going to address a bit of this confusion. First, Denver (DMA #17) shares 2 market owners (Scripps and Nexstar) with Springs (Market #85).  Both Scripps and Nexstar stations use the same graphics packages across both markets (or will, relatively soon; looking at you KOAA).

WABC's graphics were not knocked by WGGB. WABC did not have anything other than market exclusivity on that package and the creator, Linear Drift, licensed it to WGGB (Western Mass).

ABC was supposed to premier a standardized package earlier this year. However, pandemic. It delayed NBC's premier of a new look too.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ok. I'm going to address a bit of this confusion. First, Denver (DMA #17) shares 2 market owners (Scripps and Nexstar) with Springs (Market #91).  Both Scripps and Nexstar stations use the same graphics packages across both markets (or will, relatively soon; looking at you KOAA).

WABC's graphics were not knocked by WGGB. WABC did not have anything other than market exclusivity on that package and the creator, Linear Drift, licensed it to WGGB (Western Mass).

ABC was supposed to premier a standardized package earlier this year. However, pandemic. It delayed NBC's premier of a new look too.

Springs is Market 85 now, not 91

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I would hardly call 85 an “insanely small market”. It’s on the bigger half of things and growing extremely fast. Mark my words, if local TV as we know it still exists 20 years from now (it’s about 50-50 honestly) Springs will be a minimum 40s or 50s market, if not bigger.

Population estimates have Colorado Springs (City proper, not metro) becoming more populous than Denver (City proper, not metro) by 2040 or 2050. Both are growing at lightning speed.

Quite frankly, it’s severely undervalued right now, IMO. Almost a million people live in El Paso County Alone, another 200k in Pueblo and that’s not including the outlying areas. yet somehow places like Waco, Paducah and Charleston-Huntington rank higher. Hell, more people live in the Springs metro than Des Moines (68), Wichita-Hutchinson (72), Spokane (70), Little Rock (62), Scranton-Wilkes Barre (60), Lexington (64), Springfield (73), Mobile-Pensacola (57)... I could go on and on.

And don’t get me started on the counties assigned to the Denver DMA that make zero geographical sense.

And that concludes my rant.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Archived