Ramar to Sell Lubbock stations to Gray & SagamoreHill

CircleSeven

Ramar Communications is cashing out in its flagship market in Lubbock.

Ramar announced that it is selling its Fox affiliate KJTV & low-power outlet KJTV-LD to SagamoreHill Broadcasting.

Ramar is also selling CW station KLCW, MyNet station KMYL-LD, and Telemundo outlet KXTQ-CD to Gray Television (which owns the NBC outlet KCBD).

Ramar will continue to own the Lubbock radio stations and its Albuquerque TV stations.

35 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Ramar Communications is cashing out in its flagship market in Lubbock.

Ramar announced that it is selling its Fox affiliate KJTV & low-power outlet KJTV-LD to SagamoreHill Broadcasting.

Ramar is also selling CW station KLCW, MyNet station KMYL-LD, and Telemundo outlet KXTQ-CD to Gray Television (which owns the NBC outlet KCBD).

Ramar will continue to own the Lubbock radio stations and its Albuquerque TV stations.

Big sentence here: "SagamoreHill has hired Gray to provide news and other services through a shared services agreement."

3 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Big sentence here: "SagamoreHill has hired Gray to provide news and other services through a shared services agreement."

So we'll soon see KJTV's news merge with KCBD's? Would that result in Lubbock News Now?

Or will KJTV stay with seperate news and KCBD will start a 9pm news for KLCW?

Lots of questions raised here, IMO.

A lot of it I think is going to depend upon the election as well because by the time we get through with all of the approval process we may have a much different FCC and trust me, if the Dems get back control there will be scrutiny on this deal for sure especially knowing how strict the Dems were about sharing agreements (that's how Hearst couldn't continue operating WJCL and WTGS together when they bought 22 during the Wheeler era.

To be honest, I think Gray and SagamoreHill picked the wrong time to even be thinking about doing anything not named News Share Agreement.

Maybe with  Ramar selling KJTV TV to Sagamorehill,   and KLCW TV being sold to Gray TV,  might be the right time to sell. With the FCC going to the Supreme Court to ease media ownership rules. This could be a blessing for  all the parties involved .  

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

Although Lubbock is a small market, this will potentially give Gray UHF spectrum.

Something tells me that might be part of this. There aren't eight voices, so I wonder if KLCW is going to become the next KCBD-TV.

9 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Something tells me that might be part of this. There aren't eight voices, so I wonder if KLCW is going to become the next KCBD-TV.

I've see this in other threads that there appears to be spectrum hunting going on as station begins the transition to ATSC 3.0. Upon review of Lubbock, I can that in order to win approval, Gray will advise that they'll abandon RF11, which Raycom had to repair in 2015 after a plane crash, and move to RF23 with the Diginet's spread out between all the spectrums involved.

18 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

I've see this in other threads that there appears to be spectrum hunting going on as station begins the transition to ATSC 3.0. Upon review of Lubbock, I can that in order to win approval, Gray will advise that they'll abandon RF11, which Raycom had to repair in 2015 after a plane crash, and move to RF23 with the Diginet's spread out between all the spectrums involved.

Gray loves it some LPTVs, and they get two in the sale.

Okay. The Paperwork is Up for KJTV & KLCW.

• Gray is going "failed station waiver" to acquire KLCW.
  • The Shared Services Agreement between Gray & SagamoreHill will be rule-compliant, the parties say. Gray will provide back office & programming services, but won't sell any ads on behalf of SagamoreHill.
  • On the KLCW paperwork, the transaction does include MeTV LP KLBB-LD & H&I LP KABI-LD.
  • Purchase Price for KJTV to SagamoreHill: $5M
  • Purchase Price for KLCW (and the LPs) to Gray: $10M

1 hour ago, CubsFan79 said:

So KCBD TV will become sister stations to KLCW TV  & KJTV TV.. If given approval by the FCC.  Good luck to all parties involved.   

So we really will be getting Lubbock News Now? Or maybe not, considering KJTV doesn't have news at 5 or 6pm. I guess the only change would be changing KJTV 5am and 6am hours of Good Day Lubbock with simulcasts of KCBD's Daybreak.

But I'm sure that when the merger happens, that will be when KCBD gets a Gray graphics package.

Let's not jump the gun here. The parties just filed the paperwork. It's going to be a while before they get the greenlight (if they even get it).

And even if the deal is completed, it'll be a while before any on-air (branding, gfx, etc.) changes occurs.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna have some cleanup to do:

The Station went off the air on October 29, 2020 when severe wind and weather resulted in falling ice, which in turn caused substantial damage to the roof of the KLCW transmitter building and Station equipment housed therein. The combiner, essential to Station operations, was penetrated by water and is now corroded. A replacement combiner has been ordered.  Ramar has been told to expect delivery in four weeks.

• 1 month later...

Archived