Election Night 2020 coverage plans?

johnnya2k6

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

What about FOX? Is Championship Boxing be delayed? I know ABC Saturday Night College Football will move over to ESPNews

until Biden victory speech is finished.

Apparently, FOX coverage is level 2 which would allow stations an option to stay with boxing if they wish. My assumption is most will push one or the other to the .2 subchannel

55 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Tim Brando just announced that Fox is carrying the speech. Likely Level 1 SR. Assume PBC moves to FS2.

Hello. I was about to state this: maybe the MyNetworkTV O&Os would carry that speech. The same may go for MyNetworkTV affilaites that are sister stations to Fox affilaites and owned by different companies other than Fox itself. Then again, you may be right. Seattle's Joe TV, KZJO 22, was among the MyNetworkTV O&Os to carry Fox News' coverage of the final POTUS debate.

UPDATE: Fox is carrying the speech right now. MyNetworkTV stations are carrying regular programming.

Just now, Georgie56 said:

Tim Brando announced that Fox is carrying the speech. Likely Level 1 SR. Assume PBC moves to FS2.

That's probably a safe assumption. FS1 has college football. 

9 hours ago, J1975am said:

It's probably going to be the first time in many years (going back to the channel's early years) that USA Network has broadcast a college football game, or portions of it. 

I think the last time they aired football (of any kind) was when they aired World League of American Football (which eventually became NFL Europe) c. 1991-92. I could be wrong, though......

9 hours ago, elfuego35 said:

USA aired a game earlier this season due to NBC having multiple scheduled conflicts, when Fox gave them US Open Golf. 

Glad they are using USA as a backup. Same with hockey earlier this year. It always seemed odd when CNBC was the main backup for sports.

Now that the election is over and Biden has won I expect to see the following changes 

Political teams especially White House beat changing correspondents 

White House/political beat teams being reduced. Networks said they hired more during Trump administration and if Biden is like other previous admins they will not need as much, 

Cable Networks programs switching up and new anchors 

8 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Glad they are using USA as a backup. Same with hockey earlier this year. It always seemed odd when CNBC was the main backup for sports.

And they also used USA for one of the last IndyCar races of the season. 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I wish they would not do things like this and just let the AP followed by the Networks make the call.  They are only siring the pot (IMO) and making things worst by getting ahead of more reliable  outlet. Everything is already chaotic enough without them making premature projection like this  epically when they is will a chance Trump could win. 

Decision Desk HQ is one of the most solid bulletproof election decision desks. They are part of the slim trusted list that networks typically align with and are included in the group of accurate decision desks with ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox and the AP. As clearly demonstrated this week, they were accurate in their call.

Also who is CNN’s lead anchor? I’ve seen a ton of Jake Tapper, but also plenty of Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer. Like Fox and MSNBC, does CNN have a designated lead team?

14 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I know on the surface it might seem odd to use CNBC as a sports backup, but it comes down to distribution and ratings. CNBC and USA are two of the most widely available cable channels. In the cable universe, they are the closest comparison to the reach of broadcast. CNBC was a logical choice because sporting events rarely occur during trading hours - CNBC's peak viewership hours. So moving sports programming to CNBC meant blowing out infomercials or taped programming like Suze Orman. Meanwhile USA was the most watched cable entertainment network for 13 years - the longest streak in TV history. To preempt programming on USA meant a loss of highly watched (a relative term in cable speak) programming and ad revenue. So it made sense to use CNBC because you could preserve USA's ratings/revenue while giving CNBC a bump during their quietest hours. 

Today's landscape looks different. After finishing as the #1 channel in 2018, USA finished 2019 as the 5th most watched channel. Ratings woes have continued this year so blowing out USA programming for sports has less downside. In fact, sports programming might actually help prop up USA's sagging ratings.

57 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

I know on the surface it might seem odd to use CNBC as a sports backup, but it comes down to distribution and ratings. CNBC and USA are two of the most widely available cable channels. In the cable universe, they are the closest comparison to the reach of broadcast. CNBC was a logical choice because sporting events rarely occur during trading hours - CNBC's peak viewership hours. So moving sports programming to CNBC meant blowing out infomercials or taped programming like Suze Orman. Meanwhile USA was the most watched cable entertainment network for 13 years - the longest streak in TV history. To preempt programming on USA meant a loss of highly watched (a relative term in cable speak) programming and ad revenue. So it made sense to use CNBC because you could preserve USA's ratings/revenue while giving CNBC a bump during their quietest hours. 

Today's landscape looks different. After finishing as the #1 channel in 2018, USA finished 2019 as the 5th most watched channel. Ratings woes have continued this year so blowing out USA programming for sports has less downside. In fact, sports programming might actually help prop up USA's sagging ratings.

Plus, CNBC IS the main backup for NBC Sports outside of Business  Hours, but  Presidental elections is one of the few non-business major stories that CNBC breaks format on, and they were airing Biden's speech themselves.

CNBC and Fox Business aired coverage on Saturday afternoon. Both networks usually show infomercials during weekend afternoons. (CNBC doesn't start there weekend programming untill 4:00 PM.)

Now that it's finally over...

The 2020 election night coverage was a far better improvement from 2016's, especially NewsNation's on WGN America becoming the new alternative; they, Fox, PBS, and Univision relied on the Associated Press for their calls, but CBS were slowpokes and couldn't catch up to NBC or ABC.

Speaking of NBC...the pandemic prevented Tom Brokaw from taking part this time, which is a bummer, but they still had Andrea Mitchell.

15 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Now that it's finally over...

The 2020 election night coverage was a far better improvement from 2016's, especially NewsNation's on WGN America becoming the new alternative; they, Fox, PBS, and Univision relied on the Associated Press for their calls, but CBS were slowpokes and couldn't catch up to NBC or ABC.

Speaking of NBC...the pandemic prevented Tom Brokaw from taking part this time, which is a bummer, but they still had Andrea Mitchell.

I wish Tom was part of NBC's coverage too. And I also wish CBS had Dan Rather on for commentary as well.

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump this thread, but we do have one more race to go: The two runoff races here in Georgia that will decide control of the Senate.

WAGA are the only ones locally with full-blown coverage at 8:00 pm (preempting "Gordon Ramsay's American Road Trip" to 1:00 am), while WXIA has an election special at 10:00 pm (simulcast of course on sister station WATL); WSB and WGCL, nothing, though their late news may be extended to an hour in case of any speeches.

Nationally, Lester Holt, David Muir, and Norah O'Donnell will probably do their newscasts from Atlanta on Tuesday; and of course, we all know about the cable news heavyweights.

Archived