Election Night 2020 coverage plans?

johnnya2k6

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Isn't it kind of ironic the network that is getting the most push back for calling a state too early for BIDEN is FOX News? 

Fox News has a very well respected decision desk that is not at all like most of its operation.

4 hours ago, Samantha said:

Fox News has a very well respected decision desk that is not at all like most of its operation.

Saw that too. Biden always seemed to be ahead by the most points on Fox. The other networks appeared to more cautious with calls.

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

Election Coverage is rolling on tonight. Slowly all networks are announcing some type of primetime coverage

I too young to remember 2000 (well not young young  I was 9 but don't ember) did this happen back then too the night after?  I imagine Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert were  on the air  for hours! 

22 minutes ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

I too young to remember 2000 (well not young young  I was 9 but don't ember) did this happen back then too the night after?  I imagine Tom Brokaw and Tim Russert were  on the air  for hours! 

No. Tom did the normal newscast on the day after and tossed to MSNBC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpCgGMboGEc

ABC just used Nightline. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk4bseu5Io8

40 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

CBS has a 2-hr episode of ‘Amazing Race’ scheduled for tonight, so my guess is that they air their special after that. I think too many people (myself included) would be upset if they chose to reschedule AR for another day/time.

14 minutes ago, jase said:

CBS has a 2-hr episode of ‘Amazing Race’ scheduled for tonight, so my guess is that they air their special after that. I think too many people (myself included) would be upset if they chose to reschedule AR for another day/time.

That is probably true because KDKA said during their 5pm newscast that CBS will be on at 10. 

I assume there will be additional wall to wall network coverage today and this evening (primetime). With NV and AZ potentially being called today, the election could be Biden's and I'm sure there are a lot of packages "in the can," as they say. Today and tomorrow will be interesting for network TV news.

3 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I assume there will be additional wall to wall network coverage today and this evening (primetime). With NV and AZ potentially being called today, the election could be Biden's and I'm sure there are a lot of packages "in the can," as they say. Today and tomorrow will be interesting for network TV news.

Fox has Thursday Night Football and ABC has the Bachelorette. I doubt either network will be willing to preempt those not to mention the pushback they would get on social media if they did

1 hour ago, David Salter JR said:

Fox has Thursday Night Football and ABC has the Bachelorette. I doubt either network will be willing to preempt those not to mention the pushback they would get on social media if they did

Fox can redirect viewers to NFL Network until any SR they do ends.

Unless Joe Buck wants to pull a Cosell and announce the winner in-game. 

14 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Fox can redirect viewers to NFL Network until any SR they do ends.

Unless Joe Buck wants to pull a Cosell and announce the winner in-game. 

i would not be surprised if the NFL told FOX "you have a contract with us, air the game, you can do a news update at halftime if there are new developments"

35 minutes ago, David Salter JR said:

i would not be surprised if the NFL told FOX "you have a contract with us, air the game, you can do a news update at halftime if there are new developments"

You would think/hope there is a clause in the contract for "Breaking News"

1 minute ago, GodfreyGR said:

You would think/hope there is a clause in the contract for "Breaking News"

even if there is, it likely only covers national emergencies like war or terrorism. A disputed presidential election would not likely be covered under such a clause

45 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I think Buck will come out and say, "Joe Biden will be the next president", or "Donald Trump will be reelected president". It would be interesting to have a non-journalist report the news.

As I said, it's happened before with Howard Cosell announcing John Lennon's death during Monday Night Football.

Archived