Election Night 2020 coverage plans?

johnnya2k6

Unfortunately, Sinclair threw down the gauntlet by skewing right, so naturally, it could cause someone to skew left.  Fox News spawned MSNBC's shift to the left.

I hope Biden doesn't do a counter-debate.  It's highly unlikely since he's got thicker skin and doesn't have the overarching compulsion to have an unfiltered suck-up-fest to his base.

Sooner or later, we'll just have the candidates buying the airtime to state their case, much like Ross Perot did in 1992.   I even remember in the 1996 election that Presidential Debates ran on several entertainment cable channels (as a time buy?) by GOP TV.   Family Channel was one of them, so Pat Robertson was probably behind it at the time.   It didn't work for Bob Dole and Clinton won another 4 years.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Maybe Biden will make a deal with someone else, like Nexstar?

If so, it would probably be on WGN America’s NewsNation block.

And Barack Obama bought a half-hour of primetime on CBS, NBC, Fox, BET, MSNBC, and even Univision in 2008 (ABC thought Pushing Daisies was more important) convincing us to vote for him instead of John McCain...and it worked in the end.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:35 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

Maybe Biden will make a deal with someone else, like Nexstar?

I also heard that the Sinclair-owned ABC affiliates did not air the Biden town hall last night. I know KOMO and WJLA, at least, did not air it.

"!!!That's Suspicious!!! - Cardi B" I think that a clear violation of there affiliation contracts, (this is not FOX where they get option to air it O&O or not, or do your own converge, or if you're a FOX O&O and you take it but at times it can be non-mandatory), that a clear violation, unless okay by ABC they're asking for disaffiliation. And I know ABC won't say yes to preemption cause of the parent company political beliefs cause there conservative and they don't like Biden. Ad nothing aired that night except 10 o'clock for Operators. And even with that they can't have special permission to air it outside of time slot, without permission. Case they won't alternate the PST feed to air a program that supposed to air at 10 P.M. PST to 8 P.M. for Sinclair's right-wing propaganda beliefs. That would cause confusion for all other west coast stations who are following the rules, and I know ABC won't specify a special feed for them. so I wonder what was airing from them, For WJLA probably Sinclair's Right-wing propaganda programs like Boiling Pint with Eric Boiling among others. So that'll piss off executives at ABC if they find out.

I hope it over in a day or 2 and not weeks like what happen Bush VS Gore in 2000 at least no hanging chads this time around I don't get why they didn't use paper ballots during the 2000 elections. I'm not going to watch the results since all the states will be decided other than a few swing states.

eWorld make sense since Bill Hemmer will be on Fox News Channel coverage using the Billboard. I didn’t think they would move him from that even though Shepard always did the Fox broadcast

I’m not a regular viewer of Fox but haven’t they been reducing his role more and more over the last few years? He does remind me of Chuck Roberts back in the day on the old CNN Headline News.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I’m not a regular viewer of Fox but haven’t they been reducing his role more and more over the last few years? He does remind me of Chuck Roberts back in the day on the old CNN Headline News.

Scott anchors the weekend editions of FOX Report (the weekday version was discontinued several years ago). It baffles me why they wouldn't use him or Brett Bair or Chris Wallace on the broadcast net's election night coverage.

Around here KOMO ran Eric Bolling's piece of work after the 11 PM news. Can't comment on the Trumpo The Clown show (aka "Town Hall"). I had whatever MSNBC was showing to lull me to sleep. BTW: All of Sinclair's "Town Hall" specials are made available on KOMO's website, the Stirr OTT service and the others of stations Sinclair controls.

This is going to be the week when ABC and NBC put out press releases detailing their plans for the big night (we already have CBS's), with socially-distant rehearsals to follow all weekend long to make sure everything goes smoothly when the clock strikes 7:00 pm ET next Tuesday.

But with the stakes at its highest ever, Joe Biden may, may take a page from Hillary Clinton's playbook and do one final, two-minute ad in primetime on election eve (it didn't work for her in the end): 

NBC NEWS “DECISION 2020” COVERAGE BEGINS AT 7 P.M. ET THROUGH 4 A.M. ET

Starting at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 3, NBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt, TODAY co-anchor and NBC News chief legal correspondent Savannah Guthrie, Meet the Press moderator and NBC News political director Chuck Todd and NBC News chief foreign affairs correspondent and senior Washington correspondent Andrea Mitchell will anchor rolling coverage from New York through at least 4 a.m. ET, and as long as the race continues to unfold. Kate Snow will join the network’s coverage beginning at 2 a.m. ET.

Just a few days ahead of Election Day, Weekend Nightly News will air live from key battleground states with José Diaz-Balart and Kate Snow anchoring the broadcasts together but from different locations. On Saturday, Oct. 31, Diaz-Balart will anchor from Charlotte, North Carolina while Snow will anchor from Cleveland, Ohio and on Sunday, Nov. 1, Diaz-Balart will anchor from Miami, Florida while Snow will anchor from Beaver County, Pennsylvania.

Plus, Chuck Todd will anchor a special edition of Meet the Press live from Studio 1A at NBC News World Headquarters in New York on Sunday, Nov. 1. National Review editor and NBC News political analyst Rich Lowry, former U.S. Senator (D-Mo.) and NBC News political analyst Claire McCaskill, Kasie Hunt and Kristen Welker will join the final Sunday panel before Election Day.

MSNBC SPECIAL “DECISION 2020” COVERAGE BEGINS AT 4 P.M. ET AND GOES THROUGH THE NIGHT 

Special election coverage begins at 4 p.m. ET with Nicolle Wallace, followed by Chris Hayes at 5 p.m. ET. 

Starting at 6 p.m. ET, Rachel Maddow and Brian Williams, along with Nicolle Wallace and Joy Reid, will anchor MSNBC’s special “Decision 2020” Election Night coverage throughout the night, live from NBC News World Headquarters in New York. 

NBC News National political correspondent Steve Kornacki will be stationed at the Big Board all night, breaking down the votes and latest state-by-state results. 

102320_Decision2020PR-FS-3-1038x576.jpg

CBS NEWS “AMERICA DECIDES 2020” COVERAGE BEGINS AT 7 P.M. ET 

Norah D’Donnell, Gayle King, Margaret Brennan, John Dickerson and Ed O’Keefe will lead CBS News’ Election Night 2020 coverage from ViacomCBS headquarters in the heart of New York’s Times Square.

CBS NEWS’ coverage to include Major Garrett on exit polls and voter integrity; Jeff Pegues on misinformation; Nancy Cordes with Senate and House updates; and Elections And Surveys Director Anthony Salvanto at the Decision Desk Former Trump White House Chief Of Staff Reince Priebus and former Obama Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett will offer perspectives.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think Election Night will be longer this year then usual. As most are anticipating.  I would not be surprise if  a winner is not declarer until at least 5-7AMET, in time for the Morning Shows to break the news.   remember 2004 was not called until the early morning hours.  2008 and 2012 was (where I live) called by  10-10:30PMMT.  2016 was not much later then that.  Way bac before I was born, the  1960  Election as not called until the morning after. 

Does anyone know what the average time (Since Election Night coverage started being shown on TV) is for a candidate to be declared  the winner of the Election? That would be interesting to know. 

9 hours ago, polyiguana said:

When did CBS go to the derivative "America Decides?" The "Campaign" moniker was much better. 

Probably this year, but I still miss ABC's "The (year) Vote" from the Roone Arledge era.

Oh, and PBS and the BBC are ready as well.

CNBC announced their plans for election night and whats strange Shepard Smith is only anchoring his "The News with Shepard Smith". Carl Quintanilla and all CNBC Business people are doing the coverage. I would have thought Shepard Smith and a CNBC Business Anchor would co-anchor or something. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

CNBC announced their plans for election night and whats strange Shepard Smith is only anchoring his "The News with Shepard Smith". Carl Quintanilla and all CNBC Business people are doing the coverage. I would have thought Shepard Smith and a CNBC Business Anchor would co-anchor or something. 

He is CNBCs Chief General News/Breaking News Anchor so it’s strange they’re, in essence, sidelining him on the biggest news night of the year. Maybe he asked to sit things out?? He didn’t anchor coverage when Trump was taken to Walter Reed (Melissa Lee did) until it was time for his show. Who knows what their game plan is for him at CNBC.

Archived