Security Guard hired by KUSA Shoots, Kills Man During Protests

tyrannical bastard
Message added by Weeters

Please keep the following site guideline in mind when posting in this thread:

Content must be verifiable. - Claims presented as fact must be supported by evidence. If you cannot back up your claims, do not post them.

4 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Actually the Fox News one carries a bit more weight than the KUSA one because they're not implicated by this than what KUSA itself is.

Not really. It's pretty obvious that Fox News has a bias and that there's a certain narrative they're trying to create (Antifa kills Patriot). Hence the healthy skepticism with how they're reporting this story.

But I disgress.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I'm sorry. You want me to do wha!? Take the word of a political commentary talking head!? You must be batsh*t insane. You DO realize that this is a NEWS forum, right? Political punditry is not news and just because FOX News Channel has 'News' in it's name, doesn't mean that it magically passes muster as objective journalism. Jesus.

Also, let's not use God's name in vain.

6 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Also, let's not use God's name in vain.

We can discuss the factual nature of the Bible and how it's about as objectively accurate as Fox News Channel on another forum. Until then, I'll say whatever I please, thank you.

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Actually the Fox News one carries a bit more weight than the KUSA one because they're not implicated by this than what KUSA itself is.

Actually, KUSA brought in Jason Whitely from WFAA to cover the shooting, as noted in the editors note on this story. I think that Tegna is willing to use talent outside of the affected station to cover this would mean they are making a good faith effort to be transparent and objective about the issue.

15 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Actually, KUSA brought in Jason Whitely from WFAA to cover the shooting, as noted in the editors note on this story. I think that Tegna is willing to use talent outside of the affected station to cover this would mean they are making a good faith effort to be transparent and objective about the issue.

I wonder how that is working? Is he doing these stories from Dallas or is he traveling to Denver to cover this?

The eyewitness, in my opinion, is credible.  He is a Marine veteran who personally witnessed the things he said in the interview.   There was nothing hyperbolic whatsoever in the interview.  I thought he gave compelling evidence as to the "security guard" and his behavior before and during the murder.

Based on what my current understanding of this situation is, I do not believe that KUSA itself is criminally on the hook for anything.

That being said, I believe they are still at risk on a civil basis (along with Pinkerton, or whoever actually hired him) if the victim's family or the city wishes to press charges.  And I couldn't blame them a bit if they did bring forth a lawsuit.  The victim's family deserve every penny they can get from something that should've never happened.

I recall someone mention earlier that Pinkerton has a long history of legal troubles, right?

Assuming that be the case, then why did KUSA ever agree to contract with such a company?

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I recall someone mention earlier that Pinkerton has a long history of legal troubles, right? Assuming that be the case, then why did KUSA ever agree to contract with such a company?

That's a good question and likely enough for someone to argue that KUSA is, on some level, culpable given they willing chose to work with a company that may have a questionable past. While no one could have predicted that this incident would occur; if the past troubles of the security company are true; then the possibility exist and a case could be made.  

41 minutes ago, jase said:

Assuming that be the case, then why did KUSA ever agree to contract with such a company?

TEGNA being the way they are... winner goes to the lowest bidder, putting all qualifications aside. 

1 hour ago, jase said:

That's a good question and likely enough for someone to argue that KUSA is, on some level, culpable given they willing chose to work with a company that may have a questionable past. While no one could have predicted that this incident would occur; if the past troubles of the security company are true; then the possibility exist and a case could be made.  

That's the question I'm sure the Denver City Attorney's are going to be asking KUSA about and not only that they should also be asking why Plinterton even had a contract with that vendor knowing that individual wasn't licensed.

In any case there's more questions than there are answers at this point (which is to be expected)

10 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I wonder how that is working? Is he doing these stories from Dallas or is he traveling to Denver to cover this?

Video I was watching on 9 News' website here, and here,  looked pretty clear that he was in a hotel room (electrical outlets in the base of the table lamp, for instance). First video has the shades up, albeit a not a great view of what's outside.

One would think that if he was covering from Dallas that he would use WFAA's facilities?

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Video I was watching on 9 News' website here, and here,  looked pretty clear that he was in a hotel room (electrical outlets in the base of the table lamp, for instance). First video has the shades up, albeit a not a great view of what's outside.

One would think that if he was covering from Dallas that he would use WFAA's facilities?

Valid point. 

19 minutes ago, jase said:

Social distancing perhaps?

I was thinking that, or that he's not allowed at KUSA's studios for quarantine reasons since he is from another market? FTVlive usually reams a station quickly if there's an outbreak in a newsroom, and I don't think WFAA has been singled out for it- but who knows?

21 hours ago, dman748 said:

Yep, there is evidence of it seen here from this interview last night on Tucker Carlson Tonight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkeZOjAnFw

It starts about 26 almost 27 minutes in the video (26:40 to be exact)

Also more proof and additional tweet of the same thing but a slowed down version. (WARNING IT'S GRAPHIC) 

🤦‍♂️ 

On another note, I wonder how this will affect KUSA’s long standing solid #1 position in the Denver market. Whether or not they should be, people are pissed at KUSA... check out the comments on any tweet they post.

Wondering if this bad PR for them will have viewers watching elsewhere instead.

Maybe @ABC 7 Denver has some insight?

20 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

KUSA said this afternoon they have also brought in a photojournalist from WXIA to help on the live shots. 

18 hours ago, dman748 said:

That's the question I'm sure the Denver City Attorney's are going to be asking KUSA about and not only that they should also be asking why Plinterton even had a contract with that vendor knowing that individual wasn't licensed.

In any case there's more questions than there are answers at this point (which is to be expected)

Denver is a city/county hybrid municipality.

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

🤦‍♂️ 

On another note, I wonder how this will affect KUSA’s long standing solid #1 position in the Denver market. Whether or not they should be, people are pissed at KUSA... check out the comments on any tweet they post.

Wondering if this bad PR for them will have viewers watching elsewhere instead.

Maybe @ABC 7 Denver has some insight?

I dunno. I casually follow KUSA and it seems like the people upset about this already were not fans of KUSA (perceived bias in coverage, people griping about Kyle Clark, etc.) and this was just an additional reason.

ABC 7 Denver definitely would have better perspective than me though.

59 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I dunno. I casually follow KUSA and it seems like the people upset about this already were not fans of KUSA (perceived bias in coverage, people griping about Kyle Clark, etc.) and this was just an additional reason.

ABC 7 Denver definitely would have better perspective than me though.

This isn't going to shift the balance of ratings in this market. Market 17 is a lame duck. Basically, stations fly under the radar, fly tight with standardization and ratings keep constant. No one is doing anything different or wild that will be perceived as a threat to tip the scale. Even though the size of this market is one of the biggest in the country, in terms of space, stations tell stories at the capacity of Market 60. It's bland, non-competitive, and average at best. In fact, I specifically don't watch my market except to encourage my friends. I generally find Colorado Springs coverage to be better, especially the Gray station.

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

This isn't going to shift the balance of ratings in this market. Market 17 is a lame duck. Basically, stations fly under the radar, fly tight with standardization and ratings keep constant. No one is doing anything different or wild that will be perceived as a threat to tip the scale. Even though the size of this market is one of the biggest in the country, in terms of space, stations tell stories at the capacity of Market 60. It's bland, non-competitive, and average at best. In fact, I specifically don't watch my market except to encourage my friends. I generally find Colorado Springs coverage to be better, especially the Gray station.

While I agree with your basic overview of the Denver market, the fact that you prefer “all crime all the time, nothing in depth” KKTV over Denver stations (or KRDO or KOAA for that matter) concerns me.

But I digress, the Denver market is bland and corporate. 

Archived