WOIO and constant technical difficulties

Vidifont

15 hours ago, Vidifont said:

So Tanchek gets on the air to warn everybody that he's going to create a First Alert because bad weather will be here in two days. Two days later the First Alert fizzles into

a small storm with showers. They have made the weather on WOIO unwatchable especially when they almost shout it at you.

Has WOIO always been like this or has this just happened in the past few years?

• 2 weeks later...

There's only so much interest in watching a stuffy, boring local newscast. Action News worked for them and they were different from the rest. I don't understand the thinking of whoever the genius was who decided that they should go back to being a boring newscast like the other three instead of carving out their own niche.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Chris Tanaka is leaving after today for WBZ in Boston.  Also, WOIO/WUAB is considering a move to Independence.

https://www.clevescene.com/news/anchor-chris-tanaka-leaving-cleveland-19-news-for-boston-station-39411978

That's a very visible location, located next to a Top golf facility and the junction of I-77 and I-480.  Hopefully it's something that can put them on-par with the other stations in Cleveland.   I believe all of the iHeart stations are in a nearby facility as well.

I don't know why they ever decided to move from the WUAB studios that used to be on Day Drive in Parma.   Whatever short-term benefit of that site being used for retail space is long gone...

Edited by tyrannical bastard

The iHeart facilities are moving to an apartment building in Downtown Cleveland.  It's supposed to be smaller than the Independence facilities.

As for WOIO/WUAB, it will be interesting to see how their new building will turn out.  Even after the remodeling, they are still looking to get out of Reserve Square.

Dumb location. You need to be closer to downtown, that's where everything happens that ends up being on the news. News out in the suburbs is pretty boring. 

That said, they could put a studio in the vicinity of the old Randall Park Mall. That might be entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, CLETVFan said:

The key word here is "ownership" of the property, so it would be Gray Television's to do as they please.  I imagine they've been leasing Reserve Square since the big switch to CBS and move of both stations from Shaker Heights and Parma...

Malrite probably made a killing in the 90s to sell the old WUAB site to a developer.  It became an Office Max when they were an up-and-coming retailer headquartered in Cleveland, and Parmatown Mall was still a draw to shoppers.

Most TV stations prefer to own their property, and many have done so for decades...

What was old is new again, as WOIO and WUAB could very well move out of Cleveland and back in to the suburbs...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Vidifont said:

The best of WOIO being terrible is when Jason Nicholas does the "weather watchers" portion during the weather segment. He uses the same idiots everynight! To the point that my friend who is a sports person who rarely watches local news in Cleveland called me and said "Jason" is using the same people's pics tonight as he did yesterday and last week. I guess Jason only has 3 people who send in the pictures to be on the weather forecast. And WOIO must love it as it streches the time so they can get ready for more non news coming up next. 

The point? Putting viewer "weather watchers" pics on you weather segment is so f'n small market. 

It's stupid, dumbs down the newscast but Jason seems to embrace it. ? Goofball television at it's finest hour.

I don't agree. I think it's part of giving TV and interactive angle. It helps with engagement. But yeah, using the same pictures over and over again is just lazy.

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I don't agree. I think it's part of giving TV and interactive angle. It helps with engagement. But yeah, using the same pictures over and over again is just lazy.

Andre Bernier used to have his "weather spies" when he was on in the mornings, but he slipped into "Dick Goddard" mode soon after Dick himself finally retired.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

WOIO always seemed to be the step child of 3, 5, and 8.  It’s much better now than it was in the 90s and 00s, but they always seem to be a step behind.  

It's a relic of the old analog era where VHF ruled supreme.  Plus, 3, 5 and 8 signed on in the late 40s, where as WOIO signed on in 1985.

Even the basis of WOIO's news department only dates to 1988.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...