Donald Trump Tests Positive For COVID-19

TheGuru

The President tweeted he and the First Lady tested positive for COVID-19 shortly before 1am ET.

From what I've seen, NBC and ABC went live quickly with Special Reports. CBS opted for a crawl, presumably because they had no one in position. I'm assuming Fox paused to simulcast from Fox News, but I can't verify it.

I would assume this puts all networks in position to need staff on hand 24/7 until he is cleared.

Fox made (what I believe was) a serious mistake not having Brett take over coverage, but instead let the hosts of ‘The Five’ lead the coverage/discussions. I can imagine some at the Fox O&Os and/or affiliates not being happy about that.

2 minutes ago, jase said:

Fox made, what I believe, a serious mistake not having Brett take over coverage, but instead let the hosts of ‘The Five’ lead the coverage/discussions. I can imagine some at the Fox O&Os and/or affiliates not being happy about that.

The affiliates I know went with their own coverage. Many seem to be weary of their coverage being just an FNC feed and learned over the years to judge carefully.

I still can't believe CBS's only 'coverage' last night was merely a ticker during Corden (at least in CDT; I didn't know how they handled it out west at 10PDT); it was incredibly disappointing while ABC and NBC knew what to do (and I'm sure Seth Meyers was completely fine with his show being pre-empted in the East).

It’s going to be interesting to see how networks handle the evening newscasts coming up at 6:30 (just about 15 mins from now). George is in place on ABC at this moment and I’d bet they keep him in place rather than swapping David in.

Edited: really odd decision by ABC to cut from the special report and go to WNT with a full opening and packaged reports. NBC and CBS staying with their live special reports. Incredibly odd decision from ABC especially since the transportation of trump took place live in the 5-10 mins right before 6:30

36 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The affiliates I know went with their own coverage. Many seem to be weary of their coverage being just an FNC feed and learned over the years to judge carefully.

I still can't believe CBS's only 'coverage' last night was merely a ticker during Corden (at least in CDT; I didn't know how they handled it out west at 10PDT); it was incredibly disappointing while ABC and NBC knew what to do (and I'm sure Seth Meyers was completely fine with his show being pre-empted in the East).

WFLD (Chicago) was airing their 4P newscast and went to coverage on FNC. Not sure if the cut in was network mandated or up to the locals.  Nevertheless, it was really a stupid decision to not have Brett (or any other journalist on staff) lead coverage regardless if it’s FNC and/or the broadcast network.

21 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how networks handle the evening newscasts coming up at 6:30 (just about 15 mins from now). George is in place on ABC at this moment and I’d bet they keep him in place rather than swapping David in.

Edited: really odd decision by ABC to cut from the special report and go to WNT with a full opening and packaged reports. NBC and CBS staying with their live special reports. Incredibly odd decision from ABC especially since the transportation of trump took place live in the 5-10 mins right before 6:30

Ratings will be high tonight and can be averaged in to the weekly ratings since they got WNT on the air. 

Also no need for special report mode to continue. The president is at the hospital already. We won’t learn anything more until the hospital can assess him and discuss with his staff what to report publicly. 

On 10/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, mrschimpf said:

Pat Harvey anchored a CBS News Special Report from KCBS in LA. It appeared to be pre-recorded and aired around 10:30PM-11:00PM Pacific, I think but not for sure on the time. 

EDIT: From TVNewser; "CBS News aired a crawl at 1:30 a.m. ET. The network also aired a special report for the West Coast-only at 10:33 p.m. PT."

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Telemundo and Univision networks did something similar Telemundo I think there affiliate especially O&O friendly they broke in at 5:45 P.M. then by 6 P.M. went back into programming my station an O&O has no news department so it was a repeat of Noticias Telemundo Mediodía. So it was about maybe 6:15 or 6:20 they cut back in so I checked maybe stations on the Eastern and Central must be in true not the case I checked WNJU in New York, WZDC in Washington. WTMO in Orlando, WRMD stream was working and WSNS in Chicago  but they opted to have there own coverage. They later did go to network at 6:30 P.M. interesting Telemundo didn't end the coast-to-coast special report at 6:30 they paused an aired the "Noticias Telemundo" so basically they had a coast-to-coast newscast. Uh Univision was a little different they were on when the network was on at 5:30 P.M. because there local news in the Eastern and Central time zone start at 6 P.M. half-hour 5 P.M. central they essentially pre-emptied local news as my Univision station which has did not cut-in for there regular 6 P.M. news, so I'm assuming all Univision news Eastern/Central were blocked off they didn't end either at 6:30 they had a coast-to-coast Noticiero Univision.

9 hours ago, jrogo said:

Pat Harvey anchored a CBS News Special Report from KCBS in LA. It appeared to be pre-recorded and aired around 10:30PM-11:00PM Pacific, I think but not for sure on the time. 

I didn't see much from CBS last night when everyone else was on. I was just about to say they got caught with their pants down, but I think that's just their style (unfortunately.)

Did any other Nexstar stations (aside from WJZY) air the NewsNation coverage last night?  I could see this becoming a trend for at least their CW & MyNetwork stations for breaking news, and possibly when FOX decides not to cover something.
They're usually the last network to cover something, unless it is something of major importance, and if Nexstar feels their coverage would be more comprehensive for their FOX affiliates....

Gov. Chris Christie has tested positive after helping the president with debate prep early in the week. The governor then appeared in-studio for ABC on Tuesday night, so we'll have to see if ABC News sees an outbreak.

49 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Gov. Chris Christie has tested positive after helping the president with debate prep early in the week. The governor then appeared in-studio for ABC on Tuesday night, so we'll have to see if ABC News sees an outbreak.

That's pretty much ABC News' powerhouse on-air team all in there on Tuesday evening. Then you have George working with cancer survivors Robin and Amy in studio for GMA in the mornings since then. This is going to be a headache for the news department. 

Wear your freaking masks people. 

2 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Did the networks cover the doctors press briefing in the 11am hour eastern time? 

It looks like CBS had fairly robust coverage this AM lead by Jeff Glor. Seems like they were on for almost exactly 1 hour.

2 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

CNBC didn't have Crammer do "Mad Money" last night and let Shep have (at least) 2 full hours of coverage until 8pm - not sure about the 5pm hour

CNBC had pretty much Shep lead the 5 PM hour. Fast Money usually is on at 5. A few of the traders that appear on Fast Money talked for a bit until Shep had more info. Cramer was on for a little while during that time too. Shep eventually took over the coverage full time until the Shark Tank reruns started airing at 8.

17 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

It looks like CBS had fairly robust coverage this AM lead by Jeff Glor. Seems like they were on for almost exactly 1 hour.

Nice to see Jeff Glor doing hard news again. I wish he was still on the Evening News.

Archived