WFXT rebrands, reformats 11PM weeknight newscast

newsbot

7 minutes ago, Superdude said:

.and WPXI replacing the '11 at 11' branding which they've had since '98.  COX rolling out nee branding/graphics specifically for the late news.

They're testing it out (its a concept) right now supposedly next year these will became the standard graphics package. (WHBQ,KOKI , WHIO , KYMA, KIEM , WFOX/WJAX, KLAX , KPVI, WABG, WICZ, WSYT, KMVU, KAYU , KFFX) Are all left to get the new concept.

A new graphics package won’t fix KIEM. They still use the same set from 1996 but only slight modifications (flat screen TV and interesting artwork).  This product is also simulcast on KVIQ.  

Additionally, KAYU news is outsourced to Cowles KHQ in Spokane.

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Hope they're not retiring the EWN title entirely.

They haven't dumped the name at other time slots, as far as I know.  What really bothers me is they have been running cold opens for a few years now.  They really need to bring back an actual open.

17 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Hope they're not retiring the EWN title entirely.

No, it is just called WSOC Tonight. They abandoned the custom graphics, and it is the normal updated graphics now, and same theme song. All the other newscasts are still Ch 9 EWN. 

6 hours ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

No, it is just called WSOC Tonight. They abandoned the custom graphics, and it is the normal updated graphics now, and same theme song. All the other newscasts are still Ch 9 EWN. 

That's great! The reason I said what I said is because when one of a station's newscasts at any slot is modified to a different title than what that station usually has/has had originally, it makes me think that wholesale changes are afoot. It gladdens me, therefore, that only the late editions on WSOC and WFTV are different, and that the rest of the day's newscasts are the same where the EWN title is concerned.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:01 AM, bmasters1 said:

That's great! The reason I said what I said is because when one of a station's newscasts at any slot is modified to a different title than what that station usually has/has had originally, it makes me think that wholesale changes are afoot. It gladdens me, therefore, that only the late editions on WSOC and WFTV are different, and that the rest of the day's newscasts are the same where the EWN title is concerned.

WSOC now uses the same graphics package on all newscasts, including the circle 9 logo. They discontinued the different graphics they had for 11pm, although the late show is still branded WSOC Tonight. All other newscasts still identify as their legacy Channel 9 Eyewitness News, which is a good decision as the station is historically best known as either Channel 9 or Eyewitness News, rather than by the call letters WSOC. They remain the top Charlotte newscast and do the best job with live coverage of breaking news, especially with chopper coverage. Recently they had exclusive coverage of a police chase, including live video when the car crashed into a pond. WBTV also still has a helicopter, but they don't always get it off the ground.

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2021 at 9:01 PM, noggi said:

Boston has abandoned this look. Any other CMG stations also dropping this format?

WFTV is kinda in flux. They’re still airing promos for WFTV Tonight, even has it labeled for push notifications; however, standard Eyewitness News look and sound has returned for the last few weeks, if not months.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, tylerSC said:
On 4/24/2021 at 4:01 AM, bmasters1 said:

WSOC now uses the same graphics package on all newscasts, including the circle 9 logo. They discontinued the different graphics they had for 11pm, although the late show is still branded WSOC Tonight.

I wish Cox had kept those graphics. They looked better than their standard graphics though the Circle 9 is sacred.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:12 PM, MikePulse said:

WFTV is kinda in flux. They’re still airing promos for WFTV Tonight, even has it labeled for push notifications; however, standard Eyewitness News look and sound has returned for the last few weeks, if not months.

Same in Charlotte at WSOC which is also branded Channel 9 Eyewitness News. The 11pm show is still WSOC Tonight, however all other graphics indicate Eyewitness News.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:52 AM, Nelson R. said:

I wish Cox had kept those graphics. They looked better than their standard graphics though the Circle 9 is sacred.

I think their current graphics upgraded last fall look good.

Archived