WCMH to debut a new set

News Fan

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

They should've had a more unique graphic package than that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *wheezes* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nexstar doesn't give a shit about design! They pay only $20K for a package and they never look high quality according to a well known design professional friend of mine. Let's face it, the look and feel of a station aren't Nexstar's or anyone's objective. Creative Services costs are the first things to get cut in budget tightening.

Here's the new set/look: 

29 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *wheezes* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nexstar doesn't give a shit about design! They pay only $20K for a package and they never look high quality according to a well known design professional friend of mine. Let's face it, the look and feel of a station aren't Nexstar's or anyone's objective. Creative Services costs are the first things to get cut in budget tightening.

Here's the new set/look: 

Not bad, I was originally expecting the look that WFLA got, but at least the NBC package got used on another of their NBC affiliates.

The ball is really in WCMH's court to put out a stellar product to keep up with WSYX and overttake WBNS now that they've caugh the 'itis from Tegna.

58 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

That's lit pretty dark. There needs to be more lighting in that negative space on either side of the vertical monitors. Also, there's too much negative space on either side of the vertical monitors.

The dark spaces are where the anchors will sit sometime between now and 2024. Darker backgrounds help them “pop” on the set.

Checking it out in action and It is an upgrade overall from what they had before. The new studio was a pleasant surprise. because, my god why did MG shove NBC 4 into that small set in the first place is stupid to say the least! I really hope Daytime Columbus (If it still on the schedule) moves into that space and they create them something nice there.

But overall, This looks great for NBC 4 and Now it is a Two station race between them and WSYX/WTTE now. WBNS is fading and fast.

Nexstar is pumping money and new sets into all their markets. Its refreshing. 

WBNS is unwatchable now. Literally. Thats a story in itself. Im not alone on this, right? 10-15 years ago they were incredible. High energy music, graphics, top tier talent. Looked like a top 20 station.

The light and fluffy tegna opens and stuff doesnt fit a hard newscast. The newscasts have no soul or identity. 

And now.. they replace a legend with some trendy 12 year old from Toledo. 

24 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

Nexstar is pumping money and new sets into all their markets. Its refreshing. 

WBNS is unwatchable now. Literally. Thats a story in itself. Im not alone on this, right? 10-15 years ago they were incredible. High energy music, graphics, top tier talent. Looked like a top 20 station.

The light and fluffy tegna opens and stuff doesnt fit a hard newscast. The newscasts have no soul or identity. 

And now.. they replace a legend with some trendy 12 year old from Toledo. 

That's the thing about Columbus, If you invest in your station The viewers will notice. If you're half assing your station we will definitely notice. WBNS hasn't gone all in on Tegna and Tegna hasn't gone all in on WBNS either. Tegna actually likes WTHR more then WBNS which is the reverse of how it has been for years. I honestly think it would be better off being sold to COX Apollo Group with WBNS being connected tight with it's Radio side of WBNS-FM being in the same building

34 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

YOU ARE SO NOT ALONE.

I know Chris Bradley’s death (and subsequent Mike Davis drama) sucked the last bit of life out of that station, but for me - the energy faded the moment Andrea Cambern said good night.

Such a good team here.  They could’ve had something had they kept Jeff Hogan and leveraged the energy Yolanda HAD at WSYX.  

22 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

That's lit pretty dark. There needs to be more lighting in that negative space on either side of the vertical monitors. Also, there's too much negative space on either side of the vertical monitors.

I agree, the lighting needs some work, but overall, the set is an improvement. I’m still in shock seeing Darlene with long hair. I don’t think her hair was ever this long when she was in Chicago.

At least WCMH has the luxury of multiple studios.  I was last there in 2008 when they had their Media General set. 

In the other studio (the larger one IIRC?) they had the remnants of the prior set, the hand-me-down from WAVE they got in 2003.

Tegna getting WBNS was another blow to that station seeing all they have gone thru.  The Wolfe Family was known to drop serious dollars on that station and their employees, and now, they have a company like Tegna that is treating WBNS like an expansion team with farm talent being shipped in from a smaller market.  And the color choices of the package.

At least WCMH made purple graphics look good in the 1990s in the waning Outlet days and their change into an O&O....

Archived