Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, dman748 said:

I did say in the past on here that Nexstar would treat KFOR like KXAN considering they're the only ones within close proximity to Irving with a functional news department (in terms of large markets; yes Abilene, Wichita Falls, Waco and Tyler all have functional news departments and are close to DFW but all of those aforementioned markets are small in comparison to OKC and Austin)

 

I don't think the Nexstar NBC package would be appropriate for a market the size of OKC but as we've seen with Denver and St. Louis (both larger than OKC) anything is possible and they do have plenty of options as you've indicated.

 

But the part of the post I put in bold is quite interesting. I don't think KFOR necessarily needs a new set what I figured they would change out before they even thought about giving KFOR a new set would be new weather graphics and we all know how much people like @MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie has been harping about KFOR to get a new weather graphics system (which is understandable considering how dated they are; they are the only holdover from the original 444 East Britton Road Building and clearly doesn't blend too well with the 2017 pkg)

 

Considering how reporters are tagging out as "News 4" instead of "Oklahoma's News 4" I wouldn't be shocked to see them rebrand to News 4 (either that or if WREG doesn't retire the "NewsChannel 3" moniker they could revert back to "NewsChannel 4" so I think odds are better that you'll have a rebrand than a new logo

KFOR will be switching to Baron. May from what i'm hearing get it's weather graphics like WXIN

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know damn well that station bug doesn't suppose to look all stretched out like that.  

Like I said, it's a fresh start. It looks fresh, new, and real good.

At 11am  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

KFOR will be switching to Baron. May from what i'm hearing get it's weather graphics like WXIN

Now that is the correct item that Nexstar needed to change (from a graphics perspective)

 

One follow up question I suspect the Rock may get phased out as well is that what you're hearing or no?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dman748 said:

Now that is the correct item that Nexstar needed to change (from a graphics perspective)

 

One follow up question I suspect the Rock may get phased out as well is that what you're hearing or no?

KFOR KDAF KXAN will be treated as flagships. KDAF is a flagship at the moment Nexstar is working on KXAN and although We have Morning After on KDAF. KDAF will adopt the KOIN Package and looks to be getting a full news department with Ron and Jenny being the main anchors. Next KFOR will be getting new graphics soon. The set will be updated (quite a bit) The Rock will disappear, new music. WREG And WGNO , WREG will be switching to a custom version of the CBS Package. WGNO will be switching to Baron and also will be getting the ABC Package and new branding as well (ABC 26 , 26ABC , ABC Nola). Also I know most of you heard the Nexstar Media Group is rebranding to just Nexstar a lot of the stations that are long overdue for updates (WJET, WWLP, etc.) will be rebranded as well as get new sets and graphics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Nexstar is based in Irving (TX), if KDAF going to be getting back in the local news business, they need a new broadcast facility. They've been based out at John Carpenter Fwy for a long time ever since 33 was owned by FOX, then Renaissance, Tribune and now Nexstar. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, JohnnyNews said:

KFOR will be switching to Baron. May from what i'm hearing get it's weather graphics like WXIN

Hold on a sec didn't KFOR use some variant of Baron up until a few years ago when the tribune graphics launched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Although Nexstar is based in Irving (TX), if KDAF going to be getting back in the local news business, they need a new broadcast facility. They've been based out at John Carpenter Fwy for a long time ever since 33 was owned by FOX, then Renaissance, Tribune and now Nexstar. 

 

Been there since the Metromedia days, so they did once have a news operation in that very building. (Fun fact: that building sits across the street from the former KRLD studios, which in turn were the startup location for KMEC-TV 33 in 1967...the street separating them? Metromedia Place)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Samantha said:

 

Been there since the Metromedia days, so they did once have a news operation in that very building. (Fun fact: that building sits across the street from the former KRLD studios, which in turn were the startup location for KMEC-TV 33 in 1967...the street separating them? Metromedia Place)

KDAF is only separated from Nexstar HQ by a mere 4.5 miles of JFC Frwy!

2020-10-23.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

KDAF will definitely be relaunching a news operation in the near future. Nexstar needs a station to house NewsNation's Texas bureau.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

KDAF will definitely be relaunching a news operation in the near future. Nexstar needs a station to house NewsNation's Texas bureau.

 

There are many cheaper options for a NewsNation "Texas bureau" than spinning up a full-fledged news operation at KDAF again. Who knows how much longer NewsNation will even be around.

 

That being said, if Nexstar thought it was financially viable to relaunch in-house morning news (ish) on KIAH, I'm sure they're taking a hard look at the numbers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market too. The market just seems to have a hard time supporting many additional news outlets though, with both KTXA and KDAF launching and eventually winding down prime time newscasts over the past decade or so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

 

There are many cheaper options for a NewsNation "Texas bureau" than spinning up a full-fledged news operation at KDAF again. Who knows how much longer NewsNation will even be around.

 

That being said, if Nexstar thought it was financially viable to relaunch in-house morning news (ish) on KIAH, I'm sure they're taking a hard look at the numbers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market too. The market just seems to have a hard time supporting many additional news outlets though, with both KTXA and KDAF launching and eventually winding down prime time newscasts over the past decade or so. 

 

I actually emailed KDAF weeks ago asking about newscasts and they responded to me saying they hope to have a news product again in 2021.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

KFOR KDAF KXAN will be treated as flagships. KDAF is a flagship at the moment Nexstar is working on KXAN and although We have Morning After on KDAF. KDAF will adopt the KOIN Package and looks to be getting a full news department with Ron and Jenny being the main anchors. Next KFOR will be getting new graphics soon. The set will be updated (quite a bit) The Rock will disappear, new music. WREG And WGNO , WREG will be switching to a custom version of the CBS Package. WGNO will be switching to Baron and also will be getting the ABC Package and new branding as well (ABC 26 , 26ABC , ABC Nola). Also I know most of you heard the Nexstar Media Group is rebranding to just Nexstar a lot of the stations that are long overdue for updates (WJET, WWLP, etc.) will be rebranded as well as get new sets and graphics.

KDAF did indicate as @Georgie56 alluded to hope to have a news department reestablished by sometime next year so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

 

I think ABC 26 is what WGNO will probably go with (or 26ABC with the newscast title possibly being 26 News or something like that)

 

Considering WHO was able to keep The Tower, I do wonder if that could be what KFOR goes with

 

Honestly the topic about the other Nexstar stations should be merged with the Tribune Nexstarization thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Anyway, what's the latest and progress on WGNO revamp right now?

According to Irving WGNO is currently looking at a ABC 4 Utah (Nola) Version set (for now it’s a big space to work with) Rebrand is possible to likely. (ABC26 most likely) ABC Pkg and move to A new weather system like WREG and KFOR are doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

According to Irving WGNO is currently looking at a ABC 4 Utah (Nola) Version set (for now it’s a big space to work with) Rebrand is possible to likely. (ABC26 most likely) ABC Pkg and move to A new weather system like WREG and KFOR are doing. 

 

And let's not forget Aerial.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Poor guy laid that whole floor by himself.

WGNO is currently fighting over the branding in house rn. But corporate may have delayed their switch to Baron as well unlike KEVO CBS 4. And at the moment branding is still up in the air.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Their timeline is off.  They've been on their temp set for WAY longer than the story seems to make it out.

 

And if they don't even know (Nexstar included) what they will be at this point, than that is REALLY sad.  Things like this take months and years to plan out.

 

Didn't they use the "Wheel of Justice" at one point?  Maybe that's how they'll pick a name at this point.

 

Come on ABC Nola 26.......big bucks....no whammies!!!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mightynine said:

Honestly, WGNO ABC 26 is the way to go. Unless you want to rebrand sister station NOLA 38.

I do agree but from cooperate they're just gonna surprise us on Thursday........

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

I do agree but from cooperate they're just gonna surprise us on Thursday........

 

Corporate. Not cooperate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 24994J said:

 

Corporate. Not cooperate.

I was half sleep typing that but yes corporate will surprise you on Thursday (if you don't know what's going on a lot of confusion between WGNO and Irving HQ)

 

On 10/26/2020 at 4:38 PM, RGSJenkins said:

He'll be WGNO's employee of the month for October.

Nope I think this is FX design group I gotta check. So FX's employee of the month.

 

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Their timeline is off.  They've been on their temp set for WAY longer than the story seems to make it out.

 

And if they don't even know (Nexstar included) what they will be at this point, than that is REALLY sad.  Things like this take months and years to plan out.

 

Didn't they use the "Wheel of Justice" at one point?  Maybe that's how they'll pick a name at this point.

 

Come on ABC Nola 26.......big bucks....no whammies!!!

 

I know right now they're saying they don't even wanna switch because it's to much. WGNO wants to beat WWL and the other big shots like WDSU, but they can't even figure out how they wanna brand HQ has given them a deadline to 12am tonight to figure it out.

And how does it take 4 days to build a new studio from the way WGNO described it "State of the art" It takes time to build a state of the art set.

Not 4 days (while a hurricane is about to make a landfall a day ahead of y'all debuting all this good stuff)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.