Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know damn well that station bug doesn't suppose to look all stretched out like that.  

Like I said, it's a fresh start. It looks fresh, new, and real good.

At 11am  

Posted Images

How sad is it that the temp set looks better than the bastardized set (essentially just a tight shot with 4 monitors) they’ve been using in recent years?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greggo said:

How sad is it that the temp set looks better than the bastardized set (essentially just a tight shot with 4 monitors) they’ve been using in recent years?!?

Their (soon to be to old) news set used to be the weather center. 

(Hank Allen is still there as their chief meteorologist 9 years later.)

 

This is what the set normally looks like: 

 

Edited by RGSJenkins
More info.
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

How does the news director still have a job? This has got to be the most god awful Top50 product in America. And the talent is beyond awful. 

 

KDNL begs to differ.

 

At least WGNO makes an attempt. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta wonder if they're getting a set as part of a bigger pivot in their news product after the pandemic kneecapped News with a Twist and forced them to attempt a more serious presentation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

All I can say for 'GNO... It's About Time! It's time for ABC26 to get out of hole and be a competitive news station with a new set and new theme.

They definitely need it more than anyone.  Aside from KDNL, this has to be the most maligned ABC affiliate in the country.

 

But then again, there was WPTY/WATN.  Nexstar worked wonders for them and yet they are still the basement of Memphis television even with the freefall of WMC and the surge of WREG and WHBQ, with the latter being some simple TLC and getting back to basics under Cox.  There is still the possibility of how WATN will fare under Tegna now that Nexstar traded up to WREG.

 

What works in Nexstar's favor this time is their sheer size and resources they can deploy in any given market.  WPTY got a hand-me-down set and control room from a station they gutted and merged in Little Rock, and Nexstar was still considered "cheap" back then.   After getting Tribune and Media General, it is a much larger company that is taking a much more dedicated approach to the stations they have.

 

It is a mountain, even how far WWL has fallen.  WVUE is the new market leader and has the ability to compete where their competition does not.  Something WWL had stripped away from them.

 

5 hours ago, Greggo said:

How sad is it that the temp set looks better than the bastardized set (essentially just a tight shot with 4 monitors) they’ve been using in recent years?!?

Agreed💯

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

According to my sources in Nexstar, Nexstar is working with Triokia/Linear Drift for a whole new identity for WGNO. I feel like it's going to be a WNCN situation. WNCN -> CBS17   (Debuted CBS Nexstar Package)  WGNO -> ABC26 (Debuting a whole new look) This is not confirmed just something I was told by Irving.

Edited by JohnnyNews
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

According to my sources in Nexstar, Nexstar is working with Triokia/Linear Drift for a whole new identity for WGNO. I feel like it's going to be a WNCN situation. WNCN -> CBS17   (Debuted CBS Nexstar Package)  WGNO -> ABC26 (Debuting a whole new look) This is not confirmed just something I was told by Irving.

I'd be curious to see if the ABC package is used, and possibly modified for WGNO.  It may look good in purple and yellow, much like how the Tribune FOX graphic background was customized.

 

For WGNO to make a mark, not only are they going to have to put out a stellar product, it may take some talent poaching of well-known people in the market who are available.  Any chance Bob Breck or others would come out of retirement?

A lof of them (especially Angela Hill) have taken the gravy train of endorsing products and services.  I think I even saw Breck do one too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

For WGNO to make a mark, not only are they going to have to put out a stellar product, it may take some talent poaching of well-known people in the market who are available.  Any chance Bob Breck or others would come out of retirement?

A lof of them (especially Angela Hill) have taken the gravy train of endorsing products and services.  I think I even saw Breck do one too.

They're probably making very decent money for far less work with endorsements, and would have to give those up if they wanted to maintain impartiality.

 

Wonder if Nexstar's going to do anything with Baton Rouge while they are at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I happened to notice that WHNT up in Huntsville has virtually the same temporary set.   They already have the Nexstar CBS graphics.   The same paneling is used on a lot of Nexstar's sets.

I'm sure Nexstar (or their designer) has several of these sets in reserve for re-dos across the country, and they can easily be adapted with some colored LED lighting.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I happened to notice that WHNT up in Huntsville has virtually the same temporary set.   They already have the Nexstar CBS graphics.   The same paneling is used on a lot of Nexstar's sets.

I'm sure Nexstar (or their designer) has several of these sets in reserve for re-dos across the country, and they can easily be adapted with some colored LED lighting.

WGNO will be rebranding (ABC 26 is just a guess) and the new logo looks great (from what I've seen)

They're looking to be going with the ABC Package (as of now) the second option is the KOIN Package 

And they'll be switching from WSI to Baron for weather it looks like

WREG will be switching from WSI to Baron too it looks like

WREG is getting the Nexstar CBS 

WGNO will debut new graphics and set soon

WGN will have new graphics and a few set tweaks coming in a few weeks (Looks like some new graphics package using proxima nova as the main font like the NN ones not a NN local package)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

WGNO will be rebranding (ABC 26 is just a guess) and the new logo looks great (from what I've seen)

They're looking to be going with the ABC Package (as of now) the second option is the KOIN Package 

And they'll be switching from WSI to Baron for weather it looks like

WREG will be switching from WSI to Baron too it looks like

WREG is getting the Nexstar CBS 

WGNO will debut new graphics and set soon

WGN will have new graphics and a few set tweaks coming in a few weeks (Looks like some new graphics package using proxima nova as the main font like the NN ones not a NN local package)

 

Like I said last month, it's time for 'GNO to be a very competitive news station. And if they're going to be number one in the ratings soon, they better start getting things right.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

 

Like I said last month, it's time for 'GNO to be a very competitive news station. And if they're going to be number one in the ratings soon, they better start getting things right.

That's Right. I think y'all will like everything they have coming up.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

They need it all. New team, new reporters, new weather and sports anchors as well as a new set and theme. So RIP News With a Twist, it's been nice knowing you. And say hello to the NEW ABC26 News.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, JohnnyNews said:

WGNO will be rebranding (ABC 26 is just a guess) and the new logo looks great (from what I've seen)

They're looking to be going with the ABC Package (as of now) the second option is the KOIN Package 

And they'll be switching from WSI to Baron for weather it looks like

WREG will be switching from WSI to Baron too it looks like

WREG is getting the Nexstar CBS 

WGNO will debut new graphics and set soon

WGN will have new graphics and a few set tweaks coming in a few weeks (Looks like some new graphics package using proxima nova as the main font like the NN ones not a NN local package)

Any word on KFOR?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Any word on KFOR?

After this bunch is done

KFOR and Lexington will be getting Nexstarized.

From what It sounds like KFOR (May be getting it's own package similar to KRON's new one) Or the KOIN Package , Maybe the NBC Package, also maybe an Oklahoma version of the WGN 9 Package sson to come.) Many Options for them

KFOR is gonna get a new set

A new logo is possible but I don't think they'll do it

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

After this bunch is done

KFOR and Lexington will be getting Nexstarized.

From what It sounds like KFOR (May be getting it's own package similar to KRON's new one) Or the KOIN Package , Maybe the NBC Package, also maybe an Oklahoma version of the WGN 9 Package sson to come.) Many Options for them

KFOR is gonna get a new set

A new logo is possible but I don't think they'll do it

 

I thought KFOR had a new set when they rebranded three years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

After this bunch is done

KFOR and Lexington will be getting Nexstarized.

From what It sounds like KFOR (May be getting it's own package similar to KRON's new one) Or the KOIN Package , Maybe the NBC Package, also maybe an Oklahoma version of the WGN 9 Package sson to come.) Many Options for them

KFOR is gonna get a new set

A new logo is possible but I don't think they'll do it

I did say in the past on here that Nexstar would treat KFOR like KXAN considering they're the only ones within close proximity to Irving with a functional news department (in terms of large markets; yes Abilene, Wichita Falls, Waco and Tyler all have functional news departments and are close to DFW but all of those aforementioned markets are small in comparison to OKC and Austin)

 

I don't think the Nexstar NBC package would be appropriate for a market the size of OKC but as we've seen with Denver and St. Louis (both larger than OKC) anything is possible and they do have plenty of options as you've indicated.

 

But the part of the post I put in bold is quite interesting. I don't think KFOR necessarily needs a new set what I figured they would change out before they even thought about giving KFOR a new set would be new weather graphics and we all know how much people like @MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie has been harping about KFOR to get a new weather graphics system (which is understandable considering how dated they are; they are the only holdover from the original 444 East Britton Road Building and clearly doesn't blend too well with the 2017 pkg)

 

Considering how reporters are tagging out as "News 4" instead of "Oklahoma's News 4" I wouldn't be shocked to see them rebrand to News 4 (either that or if WREG doesn't retire the "NewsChannel 3" moniker they could revert back to "NewsChannel 4" so I think odds are better that you'll have a rebrand than a new logo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

 

I thought KFOR had a new set when they rebranded three years ago.

 

Exactly, they don't need a new set...because they practically still have a set that is "new"...at least it looks new.   I could see new graphics coming eventually, but even with that I think KFOR looks fine as it is.

 

I think KFOR should keep things exactly the way they are.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.