"World News Now" being phased out?

PhillyWatch

Noticed today WNN anchor Kenneth Moton warning Twitter followers of "programming changes depending on your market". Looks like here in Philly, the post-Jimmy/Nightline/Jimmy lineup is a Live W/ Kelly & Ryan rerun at 1:07, a World News Tonight rerun at 2:07, a Tamron Hall rerun at 2:37 into America This Morning at 3:37. 

I'm guessing smaller-market stations may still have their late lineups intact but if this is the move ABC is making with their major-market O&O's, I don't feel great about the potential trend.

Done some cross-checking for the O&O markets (from 8/26 vs 9/3):

• SF
    • WNN is moving from 1:41AM to 2:41AM and expanding from 19 minutes to 79 minutes
  • LA
    • WNN is moving from 3:06AM to 2:06AM and expanding from 14 minutes to 84 minutes
  • Fresno
    • Same, at 3:06AM
  • Raleigh
    • Similar changes to Philly -- it's gone
    • the 2nd Jimmy is followed by Jeopardy, Kelly/Ryan, WNT rerun, Tamron Hall, and America This Morning
  • NY
    • Not on now but will be coming back at 3:05AM
    • Jeopardy and Tamron Hall replaces Kelly/Ryan and Jeopardy
  • Chicago
    • WNN will go away
    • New schedule: Kelly/Ryan takes over for Jeopardy/Inside Edition, while those two replace WNN
  • Houston
    • Same, at 3:07AM

WNN isn't really going away (yet) because it'll be streaming, but I do find the changes made to their O&O markets rather peculiar, particularly with the focus on moving it out in Philly, Raleigh, and Chicago. Could it be from filming constraints thanks to a smaller budget from here on out...? (not sure if this really makes sense). For the smaller / non-O&O markets, I agree that their schedules will probably stay or even expand WNN. I checked Sacramento, Baltimore, DC, Omaha, Tucson, and Indianapolis for a small sprinkling and that's what's being shown. All times were sourced from On TV Tonight. 

CBS owned stations don't carry more than one hour of the CBS Overnight News with a repeat of the CBS Evening News being used to replace part of the Overnight News.  The overnight broadcast is just clips of the CBS Evening News anyway and isn't the original style broadcast they used to have with CBS News Nightwatch and Up to the Minute.  They should do what NBC has with Early Today making the CBS Morning News available at 3:00AM ET so local stations can use it where they want and start newscasts as early as 4:00AM in some markets.  ABC's America This Morning now airs at 3:30AM ET to allow stations to air local news at 4:00AM.

I checked WSOC...and sure enough they are shortening World News Tonight to just 25 minutes beginning at 3:35 am starting the 14th and replacing the Wendy Williams repeat with the Kelly and Ryan repeat as I speculated. They will also be putting the Cox produced National News Tonight on their main channel at 1:05 am, (previously it has only been on WSOC Now) bumping Daily Mail TV to 1:35, then adding a run of Right this a Minute at 2:05. THEN Kelly and Ryan at 2:35.

That might explain why they literally went right to WNT last Thursday morning after the Goldbergs without going to commercial (they aired it and United We Fall in late night because of a Panthers fan fest special and I recorded WNT thinking the RNC coverage might run over. Sure enough it did.).

On a somewhat related note, Rich Lieberman is reporting (so take it with a huge grain of salt) that KGO's morning show is losing the 4:30 half hour. It'll go back to just 5-7 only. I don't see that anywhere on the programming guides, but I do know that they just lost their morning EP, so they probably are facing some challenges putting on a newscast that fewer and fewer people are watching these days.

3 hours ago, C Block said:

On a somewhat related note, Rich Lieberman is reporting (so take it with a huge grain of salt) that KGO's morning show is losing the 4:30 half hour. It'll go back to just 5-7 only. I don't see that anywhere on the programming guides, but I do know that they just lost their morning EP, so they probably are facing some challenges putting on a newscast that fewer and fewer people are watching these days.

I totally get business rationale and how in the current day and age, morning viewership is likely way down considering there's generally less need to rush out the door, especially in the Bay Area with the current restrictions and the widespread work-at-home policies in Silicon Valley. But it's interesting how ABC 7, of all stations, (supposed to be doing relatively well in 2nd place overall, presumably? - also questionably sourced from Rich) is going to be the one to shorten their news and not one of the other struggling stations (maybe ad revenue just really hits their sweet spot there). Curious to see if maybe KTVU will move off of their 4AM start, but...since it's Fox and Fox is actually expanding everywhere else, I doubt it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Something interesting I found, Because of Monday Night Football moving the schedule down, WPVI is going to air World News Now again, for a mere 10 minutes September 22nd overnight at 2:20am. WABC is just airing the same overnight schedule as usual and then joining the Tamron Hall repeat in progress at 3:20am

On 9/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, KrocKing said:

Something interesting I found, Because of Monday Night Football moving the schedule down, WPVI is going to air World News Now again, for a mere 10 minutes September 22nd overnight at 2:20am.

I strongly doubt that's going to air at all given the game overruns and the shows that follow. I wouldn't be surprised if America This Morning be aired "in progress" after 3:30am.

• 7 months later...

Um. Do excuse waking up an 8-month thread lol, but there is some news for WNN and ATM, and since they both do not have a thread, I thought I'd just use this thread here?

Mods, please spinoff a new thread if you all think we should.

But for those who aren't insomniacs, here is some news from Kenneth Moton:

So, they'll be revealing the next anchor to take over where Kenneth is going during the early hours of May 7 and more announcements will be made over the next few days.

Kenneth is staying with ABC as well so we can expect some, dare I say, shakeups

UPDATE (as of 4:30AM ET): Kenneth will be headed to DC to become a national correspondent.

Archived