Byron Allen buys KITV for $30 million

Samantha

I think the biggest deal out of all of this is that the D.C. News Bureau is included in the deal.

It's going to be interesting to see what Allen does with the bureau.

Otherwise this is a good pickup for Allen.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I think the biggest deal out of all of this is that the D.C. News Bureau is included in the deal.

It's going to be interesting to see what Allen does with the bureau.

Otherwise this is a good pickup for Allen.

Why would Lilly/SJL want to get rid of their D.C. bureau? They have other stations, too. I thought one of their big "missions" was local reporting like this.

30 minutes ago, jbnews said:

Why would Lilly/SJL want to get rid of their D.C. bureau? They have other stations, too. I thought one of their big "missions" was local reporting like this.

When I read the article and saw that I was thinking "why would they do that?" I think the reason why may be that I think Lilly/SJL may be getting ready to cash out completely and getting rid of the D.C. Bureau is one of the signs that I see that Lilly/SJL as a whole may be going on the block pretty soon.

9 hours ago, jbnews said:

I think that was a mistake and/or unclear writing by Deadline. This Pacific Business News article doesn't mention the D.C. bureau, and RBR's article about the sale mentions the station has access to a D.C. bureau:

For “Island News,” there’s access to a Washington, D.C.-based news bureau and correspondent. It is unclear if this will continue following the station’s sale.

I don't think Allen is getting the D.C. bureau as part of the acquisition.

9 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

I think that was a mistake and/or unclear writing by Deadline. This Pacific Business News article doesn't mention the D.C. bureau, and RBR's article about the sale mentions the station has access to a D.C. bureau:

Might it be easier to sell the bureau with the condition that WENY and WICU/WSEE still have access to it?

1 hour ago, ScottJ said:

Oooh. Thanks for clearing that up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Byron Allen has completed the KITV acquisition.

I know that we talk in other threads about Allen acquiring more stations, Meredith and Quincy, yet with the completion of KITV, Hawai'i is now Allen's largest market at DMA 67, twelve ahead of Huntsville while all his other stations are sub 100.

Here's the clip from KITV announcing the new ownership where the anchor has to mention that her new boss happens to own a home in Hawai'i. Aloha indeed.

Archived