several Denver on-air folks have Covid-19.

DENDude

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

More stations than people realize are dealing with the same thing. It's inevitable when you're in a business that requires gathering news content in public. 

Tegna has been ferocious with keeping people out of their buildings for this very reason. Most of their buildings are ghost towns. They have an entire task force whose job is to monitor COVID cases in Tegna states/markets. It's ultimately up to corporate whether or not employees can move back into the building permanently. If they do tell a station yes, the answer is usually "only 1 or 2 people can return."

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

Perry Sook should fire the ND & GM at KDVR/KWGN for hiding and covering up the COVID outbreak at the TV station.

Brian Gregory was hired by the Former GM, Joan Barrett. If you know her reputation, you'll know what Brian Gregory did isn't surprising. The GM, Byron Grandy was just transferred back from WNCN. Before that, he spent 18 years as ND and GM at KMGH. He has a proven track record. I level this on Gregory, but also Nexstar for not having a strict, company-wide policy. This is unacceptable, especially in Colorado where we've taken to strict adherence of social distancing (not rent control though).

14 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Indeed they are. Feel free to reach out to Jared Polis's office if you'd like to report them.

Why isn’t another Denver news outlet taking them down? This is such hypocrisy 

8 hours ago, noggi said:

Scott Jones also seems to have a personal vendetta against this station. 

LOL! No. Living in Denver and having watched the steaming pile that's come from that station (not any one thing that a reporter is responsible for), his issues are with Joan Barrett and any of her hires, as are mine. Brian Gregory was one of her hires. Joan doesn't know the industry that well, and hired yes people from KWCH (which is not Denver). The former ND, Holly Gauntt, who wasn't on contract, hired back big names (Ernie Bjorkman, Mike Landess) to rebuild the credibility of both stations and when she left for KMGH (Scripps offered her solid employment), Joan squandered that credibility in the form of layoffs to meet Nexstar's tighter budget in the worst ways known. Not only that, but KDVR|KWGN have had a negative reputation for quite some time. They turn CSDs every 3-4 years, have GMs who can't lift the rating effectively and generally put out spot news over inventive and investigative product. In short, if I watch KKTV in Springs, I will see a better product than what the Nexstar Duopoly puts out. There was really a point where they did a fantastic job and competed against 7 for the number 3 spot in the early aughts. If it wasn't for the people that I know and care about who work at the duop, I would never watch, because there is so much cringy with it's branding, marketing and story production.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

LOL! No. Living in Denver and having watched the steaming pile that's come from that station (not any one thing that a reporter is responsible for), his issues are with Joan Barrett and any of her hires, as are mine. Brian Gregory was one of her hires. Joan doesn't know the industry that well, and hired yes people from KWCH (which is not Denver). The former ND, Holly Gauntt, who wasn't on contract, hired back big names (Ernie Bjorkman, Mike Landess) to rebuild the credibility of both stations and when she left for KMGH (Scripps offered her solid employment), Joan squandered that credibility in the form of layoffs to meet Nexstar's tighter budget in the worst ways known. Not only that, but KDVR|KWGN have had a negative reputation for quite some time. They turn CSDs every 3-4 years, have GMs who can't lift the rating effectively and generally put out spot news over inventive and investigative product. In short, if I watch KKTV in Springs, I will see a better product than what the Nexstar Duopoly puts out. There was really a point where they did a fantastic job and competed against 7 for the number 3 spot in the early aughts. If it wasn't for the people that I know and care about who work at the duop, I would never watch, because there is so much cringy with it's branding, marketing and story production.

I Totally agree with this statement.  

A part of me really wants to see someone come in and split up the duopoly, I think that would help in the long run.  KDVR/KFCT back to FOX Television Stations, LLC or another 3rd party---keep KWGN with Nexstar and I think you would have a good product output from both stations.   But as long as they keep everything the way it is, it will continue to be a dumpster fire!

Archived