Jump to content

KNBC - NBC 4 News (Los Angeles) Thread


Roadrunner
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wow! As someone who has grown up in Southern California, this is huge! Easily over 100+ yrs of experience walking out the door. Chuck spent time at KABC. Angie and Kim were at KCAL before coming to KNBC. Vikki is the longtime Orange County Bureau Chief. Bev is one of their lead nightside reporters. Strong on breaking news. Used to fill in on TILA Weekend back in the day.

Edited by FiveNews
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, this is insane! I also grew up here with all these familiar names. It’s too bad. Layoffs seem to be occurring in so many industries. Despite a hiring freeze, ABC7 has an opening for a general assignment reporter; I hope one of the KNBC folks can hop across the street.  I’m glad Colleen is staying and I hope they don’t replace Chuck with Robert Kovacik; perhaps Michael Brownlee can move up.  But wow! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will they have a farewell news segment for the news veterans?  They made such a big deal when Paul Moyer got laid off and the station was not on best of terms with him when they did that.  He was at a golf course, while Colleen and Chuck were trying to give him a send off. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

They also gave Patrick Healy a highly publicized signoff as well. My bet is Robert Kovacik takes over for Chuck Henry. Can't see Brownlee moving up to the big chair.

They pulled Robert off weekend anchoring duties a few years back so I doubt he will get the main anchor chair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JoseRM303 said:

They pulled Robert off weekend anchoring duties a few years back so I doubt he will get the main anchor chair. 

I was just going to @FiveNews because he may be right. When I’ve tuned in at 11 and Chuck isn’t there, it’s generally Robert filing in. I’m just not a fan of his style. I doubt they’ll move up the weekday morning guy after all those Lynnette related promos. The weekend evening guy, his name escapes me, but he is good, but also an unlikely move. There aren’t too many males there now that I’m thinking of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

I was just going to @FiveNews because he may be right. When I’ve tuned in at 11 and Chuck isn’t there, it’s generally Robert filing in. I’m just not a fan of his style. I doubt they’ll move up the weekday morning guy after all those Lynnette related promos. The weekend evening guy, his name escapes me, but he is good, but also an unlikely move. There aren’t too many males there now that I’m thinking of it. 

Jonathan Gonzalez. Unconventional but could Carolyn add 11 pm duties in addition to her 4 & 6 pm schedule? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe Michael Brownlee or Robert Kovacik will be promoted to be anchor at 11PM with Colleen Williams.

 

I hope Ted Chen gets promoted to being an anchor.  He did a good job when he was anchoring weekend TODAY in LA editions a few years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JTT said:

I believe Michael Brownlee or Robert Kovacik will be promoted to be anchor at 11PM with Colleen Williams.

 

I hope Ted Chen gets promoted to being an anchor.  He did a good job when he was anchoring weekend TODAY in LA editions a few years ago.

Since this is about budget cuts I wouldn’t be surprised if Colleen is solo at 11.  Pat Harvey and Marc Brown are both solo at 11 on 2 and 7.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I’m surprised no one mentioned this, but Chuck’s (among others) last day was last week.   During his farewell message on the 11pm show, Chuck commented that Colleen will do a good job holding down the desk, seemingly indicating that she’ll be solo anchoring as the other 11pm O&O anchors do.  

https://fb.watch/hO0_V_HiiU/?mibextid=v7YzmG

 

separately, why am I always locked out of my account? It’s super annoying.  

Edited by bogusabc7breakingnews
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice that the station finally removed their bios.  Has anyone heard who will, be promoted to the 5 and 6 pm newscast?  I'm believe Michael Brownlee may take the 5 pm and keep the 11 am spot and Robert Kovacick will get the 4 and 6 pm spot, while Colleen Williams does solo at 11 pm while keeping the 5 and 7 pm spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MD TV said:

Fred Roggin is leaving on Thursday. According to the article, it was his choice:

 

And here's the station's article on the end of his run there:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/sports-anchor-fred-roggin-nbc4-retirement/3080455/

 


For whatever it's worth, at the conclusion of the regular season episode of "The Challenge" just a few weeks ago, which was a sports trivia and sports highlights show that Roggin co-hosted with former USC football player Petros Papadakis following "Sunday Night Football" games on NBC4 for many years, they rolled extended end credits of the production staff on the show that actually led me to believe at the time that it was possibly its finale.

I had the pleasure of meeting Roggin once, who is as much of a terrific person off the air, as he is behind the desk.

Such a living legend in the local Los Angeles-area sports scene.

 

I will miss watching his sports reports on NBC4.

Edited by CraigViewer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who will replace Fred Roggin? Mario Solis is working part time at the station and has other employment obligations. I think Roggin wanted to wait until the NFL season was over to announce that he will leave the station. Otherwise, I think he would have just left when the other 5 reporters and anchor left last month

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JTT said:

Who will replace Fred Roggin? Mario Solis is working part time at the station and has other employment obligations. I think Roggin wanted to wait until the NFL season was over to announce that he will leave the station. Otherwise, I think he would have just left when the other 5 reporters and anchor left last month

I would imagine that they will have Mario Solis and/or bringing freelancers on board to handle the sports anchoring at least on an interim basis.  Or, the news anchors may do it perhaps for a time as well.

With Roggin's retirement, I was just thinking that very few on-air veterans are left at the station now.  Conan Nolan, Ted Chen as well as Colleen Williams are three of the current vets who come to mind for me.

Edited by CraigViewer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It'll probably be a gaggle of personalities covering sports. At least that's been then trend down here in SD. KNSD, KFMB and KSWB each have 3-4 people covering sports thought the week since longtime personalities left.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, Bsean said:

It'll probably be a gaggle of personalities covering sports. At least that's been then trend down here in SD. KNSD, KFMB and KSWB each have 3-4 people covering sports thought the week since longtime personalities left.

 

Yeah, that will probably be the case.  Unlike the other local L.A. TV stations, KNBC's lacks depth in its sports department, as far as the amount of on-air talent is concerned.  As it stands, it is now only Mario Solis, so it may very well be he along with the news anchors reading the sports, whenever he has his days off, at least for the foreseeable future.

Edited by CraigViewer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What will follow Sunday Night Football now that Fred Roggin left the station?  I hope they don't  bring back "the challenge" and start fresh with a new show, or just go straight to local news.  Also, I hope they find a new permanent sports anchor.  Does the station have any reporters that have sports background? I remember before, Andy Adler had some sports reporting background when she was at the station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JTT said:

What will follow Sunday Night Football now that Fred Roggin left the station?  I hope they don't  bring back "the challenge" and start fresh with a new show, or just go straight to local news.  Also, I hope they find a new permanent sports anchor.  Does the station have any reporters that have sports background? I remember before, Andy Adler had some sports reporting background when she was at the station. 

I doubt that "The Challenge" will be returning ever again.  Neither will Roggin's other program on NBC4, "Going Roggin," for that matter, which I noticed in my channel guide is no longer listed in airing at midnight Sundays (technically, Monday morning).  That could be repurposed under a new title and, of course, a new host, but that seems unlikely though.

Edited by CraigViewer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone think they will try to lure sports anchor from another station like Steve Hartman or someone else?  If not, I hope they use Conan Nolan.  I saw him fill in a couple of times before and he did fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.