KNBC - NBC 4 News (Los Angeles) Thread

Roadrunner

I know the Los Angeles thread is being deprecated soon once this forum's changes roll out, so I thought the conglomeration of info would be more useful. 

This first post is very list-oriented, so I apologize for that, as it's not the most conducive to conversation.

The changes noted on the site are also inconclusive, so there's a lot more that could be discussed and expanded here.

Newest developments - 

As of recent, the following developments have been noted on here -

Other talk -

• July 2020: midday anchor Michelle Valles was blasted by Yashar Ali for basically affiliating herself with "qxaxnxoxn" (trying to prevent search results/hordes of people pinging back here) on her social media
  • December 2019: Website GUI changed, along with all other NBC O&Os
    • As of August 2020, they still have not placed station bios in one place on the new website (or I'm just clueless about finding them)

The bios are under the “contact us” tab. But yeah, really hard to find and poorly organized. 

The NBC O and Os were doing so great the last few years. Valerie Stabb and co investing heavily in facilities and investigative units etc. Its what led to their growing dominance and rebirth in many markets.. passing CBS O and Os and giving ABC O and Os a run for their money. Now they seem to be destroying that???

In Boston for example, they are down 2 investigative reporters and a main anchor.

Any NBC insiders understand this think process? 

2 hours ago, newsman123 said:

The bios are under the “contact us” tab. But yeah, really hard to find and poorly organized. 

Hey, yep. They're there in the "contact us" section on every O&O site except for KNBC -- it made me think that maybe the team had been subject to harassment or something (not that one couldn't gather up all the names eventually, though) and the manager decided to just not list station talent. 

2 hours ago, newsman123 said:

The NBC O and Os were doing so great the last few years. Valerie Stabb and co investing heavily in facilities and investigative units etc. Its what led to their growing dominance and rebirth in many markets

Agree. The "I-Team"/"Investigative Unit"/whatever else they call it and consumer units have definitely contributed to the stations progressing really well in their markets (both ratings-wise and Emmys-wise). IMO, the on-air looks of the stations among the Big 4 are also the best graphics-wise, so the whole package each newscast feels really sleek and appears well-done. But of course, power corrupts, and troubled management at NBCU/Comcast really rots the rest of the ladder, so....honestly, what's new. It's sad. (speculatively pessimistic, but that's my outlook 😕 )

1 hour ago, JoseRM303 said:

Were those 2 even full time staff? I don’t ever recall seeing their bios up on nbcla.com and that’s even when the bios were available. 

Yeah, that's fair. It seems like they weren't actually listed, which, I don't know... feels kind of odd considering how present I feel Rick was in newscasts. 

For anyone who wants to see bios from circa September 2019, here they are: http://web.archive.org/web/20190902145217/https://www.nbclosangeles.com/contact-us/about-us/

If we're to get really specific about website bios, NBC O&Os aren't the best at updating them. But anyways.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

Reporter Gene Kang says he too was laid off from NBC.

There's....(still) no KTLA thread (nothing substantial going on there ATM) so here's an update for Gene here. He's moving on to KTLA and is also becoming a West Coast correspondent for France24; both are likely part-time to allow time for each other but still add up to be pretty substantial gigs. 

• 1 month later...

X-post with another user's post in the Philadelphia forum:

WPVI's recently-departed Melissa Magee will be joining KNBC effective November 2 and take over the 4 and 6PM shifts, previously occupied by Anthony Yanez. Great news for NBC4!

Melissa joins Anthony Yanez, Belen de Leon, David Biggar, and Shanna Mendiola as the fifth meteorologist on the team.

• 1 month later...

So, I don't have concrete info and if anyone has an FTVLive membership for his Patreon, it'd be great if someone could kindly share, if allowed. 

Just a small observation as follows.

After mentioning a current SF-based talent was bound for LA, I (and some other scornful blogger) have deduced that he was talking about Robin Winston from KRON.

I've done some barebones sleuthing and am speculating she will be joining the KNBC team, but I'm ultimately unsure as to her future position.

KNBC has such a breadth of anchors & subs so I'm confused how she might otherwise fit in among the lineup (especially if it's the weekday morning team), though if she joins the station as a GA reporter, then they could definitely use some of those.

42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

After mentioning a current SF-based talent was bound for LA, I (and some other scornful blogger) have deduced that he was talking about Robin Winston from KRON.

I've done some barebones sleuthing and am speculating she will be joining the KNBC team, but I'm ultimately unsure as to her future position.

KNBC has such a breadth of anchors & subs so I'm confused how she might otherwise fit in among the lineup (especially if it's the weekday morning team), though if she joins the station as a GA reporter, then they could definitely use some of those.

Morning traffic anchor.

Edited by 24994J
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Knew his days were numbered when Melissa Magee joined. No need for 2 meterologists during the afternoon/evening newscasts in Los Angeles.

Not only that but she and Anthony swapped times shortly after she arrived. She went from doing 4 & 6 to 5 & 11 (and now 7) and he went from doing the 5 & 11 back to the 4 & 6

Also- just noticed former NBC Bay Area weekend co-anchor Anoushah Rasta is now reporting for NBCLA. Nice pickup for KNBC and Anousha gets to stay in CA and the NBCUniversal family. Looks like she will be reporting for the 7pm. Main nightside (11pm) reporter Hetty Chang posted on Twitter that she is back on nightside after helping to launch the new 7pm. Hetty was the A block live shot reporter for the first few weeks of KNBCs 7pm launch.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

I thought Jennifer Hudson was getting the 2pm slot

Fox signed on for Hudson, in the largest markets. The only show NBC has picked up for it's O&O's next season is the daytime strip of Dateline.

And this would explain why KNBC wasn't on this list.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/04/20/dateline-sold-in-more-than-90-percent-of-the-us-as-the-hit-true-crime-series-returns-for-its-sixth-season-in-national-syndication-944110/20220420nbc01/#:~:text=The sixth season of "Dateline,WRTV Indianapolis and WDRB Louisville.

Edited by 24994J

9 hours ago, 24994J said:

Fox signed on for Hudson, in the largest markets. The only show NBC has picked up for it's O&O's next season is the daytime strip of Dateline.

And this would explain why KNBC wasn't on this list.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2022/04/20/dateline-sold-in-more-than-90-percent-of-the-us-as-the-hit-true-crime-series-returns-for-its-sixth-season-in-national-syndication-944110/20220420nbc01/#:~:text=The sixth season of "Dateline,WRTV Indianapolis and WDRB Louisville.

interesting how the article says KRON not KNTV 😆

7 hours ago, SFTV said:

interesting how the article says KRON not KNTV 😆

Actually, I’m guessing that the KRON isn’t a mistake. I think KNTV in San Francisco might follow suit with KNBC and start a 3pm news of Their own.

3 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

Actually, I’m guessing that the KRON isn’t a mistake. I think KNTV in San Francisco might follow suit with KNBC and start a 3pm news of Their own.

That’s going to be an interesting move…

KGO was first to start a half hour 3 pm show called “Getting Answers.” However instead of a traditional newscast, they ask experts questions the viewers want to know in real-time on todays current topics. During commercial breaks the news continues with post interviews and open to more questions on Facebook live that will be answered on air.

KRON airs a full hour of news at 3pm

KPIX just joined the 3pm race as well but only a half hour.

when 3:30 hits KGO and KPIX go live for the Network Evening shows.

KGO continues at 4pm with news while KPIX goes a full hour of Judge Judy until the news at 5 begins.

Edited by SFTV