KNBC - NBC 4 News (Los Angeles) Thread

Roadrunner

Why didn't they promote Robert Kovacik to the 3 and 5pm newscast? I think when his contract is up, he'll be leaving the station.

I thought either Kovacik or Brownlee were next in line to be promoted.

I assume Colleen will continue solo at 11pm. She definitely has the chops to lead the 11pm on her own, she already does it at 7pm. KCBS/KCAL has Pat Harvey anchor solo at 11pm (6pm as well). Marc Brown anchors KABCs 11pm solo. KNBC could complete the big three network trifecta with this arrangement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MD TV said:

Annabelle Sedano has been hired as a new 3PM and 5PM anchor:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/community/nbc4-names-annabelle-sedano-as-news-anchor/3115314/

I'm confused by their press release. Is there two meteorologists at 3 p.m.? This is what the release says:

"Weekdays at 3 p.m., Sedano will anchor NBC4 News kicking off the station's afternoon news block alongside Meteorologists Shanna Mendiola and Stephanie Olmo."

25 minutes ago, fan of la tv said:

I'm confused by their press release. Is there two meteorologists at 3 p.m.? This is what the release says:

"Weekdays at 3 p.m., Sedano will anchor NBC4 News kicking off the station's afternoon news block alongside Meteorologists Shanna Mendiola and Stephanie Olmo."

The weekend weather anchors split that 3pm shift. One works like M-W, and the other takes Th-F, or something like that. I believe they do the same thing at 11am, too, and it's a pretty normal thing at many other stations.

• Like 2

Her bio states that Sedano used to work for Univision in Los Angeles at KMEX 34.  Will NBCLA have her anchor at Telemundo KVEA 52 in the future as well?  If the anchors and reporters are bilingual,  why not utilize that and have them report for both stations.   That will help with their budget.

Does anyone believe that Kovacik may get 6pm co anchor spot and be given the 7pm anchor spot while Williams go back to co anchor the 5pm and anchor the 11pm news?

On 3/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, 24994J said:

The weekend weather anchors split that 3pm shift. One works like M-W, and the other takes Th-F, or something like that. I believe they do the same thing at 11am, too, and it's a pretty normal thing at many other stations.

Got it. I don't watch KNBC at those times so I didn't realize they split it which is why I was confused about the statement. I know KTLA does the same for its midday newscasts.

Why do they do that by having 2 weathercasters split the weekdays duties in the mid afternoon?  Why does a station need 5 permanent weathercasters? 

I remember a while back, all KNBC had was Christopher Nance doing the morning newscasts weather and Fritz Coleman doing the evening newscast.   On the weekends,  they would have one of the co anchors reading the weather report with the weather maps on the screen.  A few years later, Paul Johnson was asked to work 7 days a week,  m - f doing traffic,  and on the weekends the weather.

I can understand the station having 4 weather casters,  but not 5.  If one of the 4 calls in sick, they can have a temp fill in.  Or they can have one of the other 3 fill in for the person that called in sick.

Edited by JTT

• 2 weeks later...

Annabelle Sedano first day on the job was today.  I saw her anchor the 3pm newscast,  but I did not see her at 5pm, as Carolyn Johnson co-anchored the newscast with Colleen Williams.   Does anyone know why wasn't Annabelle anchoring the 5pm news with Colleen?

Edited by JTT

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:39 AM, FiveNews said:

I assume Colleen will continue solo at 11pm. She definitely has the chops to lead the 11pm on her own, she already does it at 7pm. KCBS/KCAL has Pat Harvey anchor solo at 11pm (6pm as well). Marc Brown anchors KABCs 11pm solo. KNBC could complete the big three network trifecta with this arrangement.

Why is Colleen Williams running a solo act on KNBC's late edition (as well as mid-evening at 7)?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't see this instance on local TV stations everyday, which is very rare in Los Angeles, for that matter.  Though, given it was Christmas Day yesterday, it was understandable, for sure.  I came across a weatherperson from KNSD in San Diego filling-in for Belen DeLeon while watching "Today in LA" yesterday.

20231225_064307.jpg

Edited by CraigViewer

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2023 at 3:41 AM, CraigViewer said:

Don't see this instance on local TV stations everyday, which is very rare in Los Angeles, for that matter.  Though, given it was Christmas Day yesterday, it was understandable, for sure.  I came across a weatherperson from KNSD in San Diego filling-in for Belen DeLeon while watching "Today in LA" yesterday.

20231225_064307.jpg

My have the tables have turned. It used to be the other way around.

• 4 weeks later...

The station posted that they have a new sports anchor Olivia Garvey for the weekends.  Does this mean that Mario Solis is the weekday sports anchor?  His bio on the station website still says he's weekday reporter and weekend sports anchor.