KRON new set, graphics, music coming

sfomspphl

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rich Lieberman has twice commented about the set this week but not seeing on the newscast.

That said, if you watch the KRON ON digital stream, where the anchor sits in front of the control room, sometimes a monitor from the studio is live and you can see rehearsals.

Looks like it's the WFLA set adapted for SF

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/08/13/wfla-studio-tampa/

In the pic below there are two screens to the left of the anchor that look like they're from the studio

Once again, another anchor desk dropped in front of a corner.  I'ts an improvement from the prior but to me, the only station group that still knows how to do great television design with depth that feels like a cohesive set, rather than a studio with elements dropped in it, is the ABC O&Os...with the KGO set being the most recent.

553814042_ScreenShot2020-09-23at5_57_15PM.thumb.png.f831a54fe90a30d9fe810244f79d4bfc.png

16 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Rich Lieberman has twice commented about the set this week but not seeing on the newscast.

That said, if you watch the KRON ON digital stream, where the anchor sits in front of the control room, sometimes a monitor from the studio is live and you can see rehearsals.

Looks like it's the WFLA set adapted for SF

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/08/13/wfla-studio-tampa/

In the pic below there are two screens to the left of the anchor that look like they're from the studio

Once again, another anchor desk dropped in front of a corner.  I'ts an improvement from the prior but to me, the only station group that still knows how to do great television design with depth that feels like a cohesive set, rather than a studio with elements dropped in it, is the ABC O&Os...with the KGO set being the most recent.

553814042_ScreenShot2020-09-23at5_57_15PM.thumb.png.f831a54fe90a30d9fe810244f79d4bfc.png

Don't tell me they may be adapting the KOIN Package

• 2 weeks later...

Waittttt, ok so...this desk is now going to be the new main desk? I don't want to leap to conclusions because the background doesn't look like what you'd see in a finished studio these days. But if they're just going to pull a WFLA, I'd really just rather not see them use a desk at all. 

Set looks OK. Looks like they just need to put a better image as a backdrop. From what I can tell, it looks like an image of SFO behind the talent. Would probably look better if they had an image of the Golden Gate Bridge or a more iconic SF landmark behind them. Still remaining optimistic, looking forward to see how the set is implemented.  

If that's the final product regarding the desk, there are too many shadows. It needs a lot more lighting than just that little bar at the top. Just doesn't look finished, and the black base seems scuffed.

Ok I failed to consider the house lights being on and lighting adjustments being made.

3 hours ago, ProButtonPusher said:

I think the reason they’re even sitting there is to adjust lighting. Phew, people this set hasn’t even been seen through a studio camera yet.

This. The color temperature seems off, like the house lights are on too... 🙄

I haven't watched KRON in a while, but I'm always interested in graphics and music packages. I'm a fan of Instant Classics. It's so iconic. And regardless of KRON's actual content, Instant Classics brings a sense of comfort.

This is my first time seeing the opening graphics and I love them. Surprisingly modern and contemporary. The set also looks like the most modern design they've ever had.

I think it's fair to critique the set now that it's been put out into the world, right? A bit of a rant/stream of consciousness below--apologies for the blocks of text.

image.thumb.png.3fb701c0827407f22f1bce5eb4cd6dcd.pngimage.thumb.png.a47c758540abda394fbfa57e8fa68812.png

The setting of it all, when compared with WFLA, is better because WFLA's set felt tight and stale.

But this is also literally not that different from WFLA's set, which we all kind of criticized.

KRON doesn't have the staircase, and it does have the live background of the city and the bay, which kind of gives it an impression of openness. But my point still stands that I think the thick bars dividing up the screens like that make things look hiddy. The two light bars also just don't make sense to me, with one above and one below like that. I also acknowledge that I'm so used to large desks (like the new CBS O&O style) that I'm basically brainwashed to like them now, so seeing the same WFLA desk deployed here just provokes the same reaction in me. I also hate thinking about anchors needing to hang their devices off the side of a desk (like in the WFLA photo) or having no space for any papers (thinking of any detailed live/emergency coverage that might necessitate more desk space) -- it just feels meh.

Also, the graphics are way too red; the font does not stand out enough against the red so it's hardly legible for the passing eye. Also, Aerial is utterly forgettable here -- the cut they use is bona fide generic and Instant Classics was definitely more recognizable and more KRON, if that's a thing. 

But in the end, I can appreciate their modern take (and thank the HEAVENS it's not virtual like some out there are becoming) -- I'm just...not a fan of the execution.

image.thumb.png.6dd80ac02302538424db366919c346b5.png

There's also a video of the set in action here:

It's....fine? It doesn't look particularly polished, but that's to be expected from KRON. The lack of a video wall in the outgoing set felt like a somewhat surprising omission given that it was built in what, 2014, so I'm sure they'll have some fun with more chances for different presenting opportunities. It feels rather small market, but KRON is a big market station that's operated like a small market one after all.

Timelapse:

Nexstar seems to be riding the "window" trend to the next level.  Both the WFLA and KRON sets are very similar in that regard, except WFLA works in their existing staircase.   The shot of the airport in the background for the test shots makes it like a virtual "streetside studio" or in the airport terminal itself, as the panels can display a real background behind them, transporting the "room" to another place because of the illusion of being a windowed wall.

It's an interesting concept, but it takes away from the "set-ness" a little too much.   I like it to an extent, but this makes it look like an empty room.

And Nexstar really likes to put their anchors in the corner of the room.

Archived