WCIA New Set

newsn8te

Huh. That temporary setup is pretty unique. Two separate desks with a space in the middle? Can't recall I've ever seen that before and actually kind of like it. Obviously it's for social distancing, but it's different enough that it's fresh.

It's quite the tear out, honestly. Already way ahead of where I thought we would be, but a long way to go. I didn't fully appreciate the size of the space until now.

That's all I can really say until the new set debuts. It's exciting to be experiencing this all first hand, it is my first time dealing with a studio redux. Does it get any easier after the second or third time? Lol

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, EPGuy93 said:

It's a great use of such a small space....lots of shot options compared to the last one. I'm not usually a fan of a smaller desk style, but it works well in this instance.

I maintain that because of social distancing they should have put frosted plexiglass or something at the end of each wing so we don't see their legs dangling.

It's quite an upgrade. Makes it feel like a Top 50 market in market 88, where this only puts WCIA further ahead of their competitors (Sinclair: WICS // WRSP Brix: WAND).

They put the stick and wood set together in two days. The old set wasn't meant to be in such a tight space, this one seems to be well thought out and feels like an actual studio (complete with an LED light grid and addressable RGB!) It looks good, and is a game changer for sure. 

I had the opportunity to talk to the set designer and their team is working almost non-stop for Nexstar. I've said it before, but I think Nexstar is on a tear to future proof almost all of their stations, even the ones that are miles ahead or miles behind the competition. You'd be surprised to hear some of the places they're going next. 😉

Now, about that raise...

14 hours ago, TheGuru said:

II had the opportunity to talk to the set designer and their team is working almost non-stop for Nexstar. I've said it before, but I think Nexstar is on a tear to future proof almost all of their stations, even the ones that are miles ahead or miles behind the competition. You'd be surprised to hear some of the places they're going next. 😉

Now, about that raise...

It does look great for that market.  Hope they make their way to Lexington eventually to WDKY, hope that is one of the surprises lol 

14 hours ago, TheGuru said:

It's quite an upgrade. Makes it feel like a Top 50 market in market 88, where this only puts WCIA further ahead of their competitors (Sinclair: WICS // WRSP Brix: WAND).

They put the stick and wood set together in two days. The old set wasn't meant to be in such a tight space, this one seems to be well thought out and feels like an actual studio (complete with an LED light grid and addressable RGB!) It looks good, and is a game changer for sure. 

I had the opportunity to talk to the set designer and their team is working almost non-stop for Nexstar. I've said it before, but I think Nexstar is on a tear to future proof almost all of their stations, even the ones that are miles ahead or miles behind the competition. You'd be surprised to hear some of the places they're going next. 😉

Now, about that raise...

Well I know WGNO WGN WREG KRON are almost done 

1 hour ago, JohnnyNews said:

Well I know WGNO WGN WREG KRON are almost done 

Wait, WGN is getting a new set?

15 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Now, about that raise...

I like how the anchors walk along the video wall as they are doing the tease.  And I also really like the glass elements behind the anchor desk.  The set looks really cool.

Just now, TheRyan said:

Wait, WGN is getting a new set?

I guess graphics could be a possibility, at some point in the coming months, but their set is only 3.5 years old. I'd be shocked if they were working on something. Only one studio is available, and News Nation used it as a temporary newsroom up until a month and a half ago.

53 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I guess graphics could be a possibility, at some point in the coming months, but their set is only 3.5 years old. I'd be shocked if they were working on something. Only one studio is available, and News Nation used it as a temporary newsroom up until a month and a half ago.

Any insight into what the WGN graphics could look like?

Honestly the WGN graphics part of the discussion could be split into its own thread tbh.

25 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Any insight into what the WGN graphics could look like?

Honestly the WGN graphics part of the discussion could be split into its own thread tbh.

Oh, I have no idea if/when they'd get new graphics. They'd surelt be a prime candidate for a rumored local version of the News Nation package, but nothing is confirmed.

7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

What are you talking about? WGN doesn't need a new set.......

Their current set is over three years old.

I mentioned these stations because currently new graphics and rebrands are being worked on

only WGNO ,WREG , And KRON (even WKRN) Are either getting some good updates or a new set and to confirm this WGN is getting its own graphics different from the others typeface PROXIMA NOVA and a more modern look and also 8 CBS in Las Vegas will switch as well as KHON 2 will get that package. (Nexstar confirmed a new graphics package similar to the NN one is coming but as @KentBrockman is right it’s not a NN localized version.)

52 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

I mentioned these stations because currently new graphics and rebrands are being worked on

only WGNO ,WREG , And KRON (even WKRN) Are either getting some good updates or a new set and to confirm this WGN is getting its own graphics different from the others typeface PROXIMA NOVA and a more modern look and also 8 CBS in Las Vegas will switch as well as KHON 2 will get that package. (Nexstar confirmed a new graphics package similar to the NN one is coming but as @KentBrockman is right it’s not a NN localized version.)

Any new ones for the rest of the Tribune chain that are still on the older Creative West pkg (such as KFOR and others)?

On 10/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, TheGuru said:

Now, about that raise...

Would you be a liberty to say who the designer is for this set?

13 hours ago, FLS NC said:

Would you be a liberty to say who the designer is for this set?

Who's asking? 😛

Lance Schroeder's team built the set, but I couldn't tell you who designed it. Perhaps Lance did as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, I just checked out your website. I'm glad to finally know who did the WGN News set. WGN and KTLA are lowkey my favorite active sets. I'll be sad to see them go if/when it comes to that. :(

Archived