Gray TV takes over CBS in Anchorage, AK

Working4You

I've never considered Gray to be especially heinous when taking over stations, so hopefully those who don't get re-hired get preference and assistance should they choose to go to other Gray properties. Either way, I hate it for their newsroom. They had such a solid operation, and it sucks to see it get picked apart like this. 

Gray has filed the paperwork to acquire KUBD Ketchikan for $1.

How come they're not getting KTNL Sitka & the LP, KXLJ in Juneau? Are they planning on getting it later, or is GCI planning on selling KTNL/KXLJ it to someone else?

.......OR since Gray already acquired LPs KATH/KSCT, they may not really need KTNL/KXLJ? And if that's the case, are they're airing CBS programming on the subs of KATH & KSCT? 

Some unanswered questions.

20 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Gray has filed the paperwork to acquire KUBD Ketchikan for $1.

How come they're not getting KTNL Sitka & the LP, KXLJ in Juneau? Are they planning on getting it later, or is GCI planning on selling KTNL/KXLJ it to someone else?

.......OR since Gray already acquired LPs KATH/KSCT, they may not really need KTNL/KXLJ? And if that's the case, are they're airing CBS programming on the subs of KATH & KSCT? 

Some unanswered questions.

Upon review, Gray apparently has two CPs in Juneau for stations on channels 15 & 26, maybe Gray will light these up for CBS in Southeast Alaska.

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=owner_search&owner=Gray+Television

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

Upon review, Gray apparently has two CPs in Juneau for stations on channels 15 & 26, maybe Gray will light these up for CBS in Southeast Alaska.

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=owner_search&owner=Gray+Television

There's no CP for 15. KCBJ-LP have a pending STA for RF 7 from Ketchikan, which hasn't been approved yet. 

And anyway, it's too early to tell if those signals will be used for that purpose, since both are currently off the air.

Edited by CircleSeven

On 8/6/2020 at 1:10 PM, alaskanews said:

KTUU is THE brand for broadcast news in AK, like 80+% of the market. Whatever happens with CBS5/KYES, I would not count on any branding change online or on air for KTUU. 

I stand corrected. The umbrella news brand will be "Alaska's News Source" - KTUU's longtime slogan. KTVA's old desk (which never had a logo) has now appeared on KTUU's set replacing the KTUU-branded desk.

On 8/13/2020 at 10:19 PM, TheGuru said:

I've never considered Gray to be especially heinous when taking over stations, so hopefully those who don't get re-hired get preference and assistance should they choose to go to other Gray properties. Either way, I hate it for their newsroom. They had such a solid operation, and it sucks to see it get picked apart like this. 

Tell that to all the people who got axed when they took over WDBJ, KSPR, etc. Bloodbath.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I must say...even though I was expecting an overall downgrade in the brand quality, this is just BAD.   And hearing those NBC chimes on a CBS station must be quite jarring to say the least.

KTUU is the higher ranked TV station. Will see how KYES will do under GRAY TV"S control.

5 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

What has become of the on-air remnant of KTVA? Is channel 11 running anything, or have they gone (temporarily) dark?

Glad you asked. Silent STA hit the FCC today. Its dependent translators also have silent STA requests filed.

KTVA(TV), Anchorage, AK (Fac. ID No. 49632) (“KTVA”), is off the air as of September 3, 2020. The licensee recently sold and conveyed certain programming and related assets to a third-party, including the station’s affiliation and programming agreements. Station personnel have also been  substantially  reduced  as  a  result  of  this  change.  As  such,  KTVA  is  without  a  source  of programming at this time. The licensee is currently evaluating long-term plans for the station so that  KTVA  may  in  the  future  return  to  service  and  continue  to  serve  viewers  in  the  Anchorage community. Accordingly, the licensee respectfully requests authority for KTVA to remain silent for a period of up to six months.

A Form 314 was filed today, but not for a sale to a new TV buyer—instead to cover the merger of GCI with Liberty Broadband. That's gotta be a related development.

Edited by Samantha

Here's the last morning signoff on KTVA, posted on anchor Liz Raines's YouTube:

Anchor Liz Raines just married champion dog musher Matthew Failor, so I think she's being honest when she's not going anywhere, but the on-air opportunities in Alaska are going to be extremely slim. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/fashion/weddings/Musher-Matthew-Failor-marries-Liz-Raines-Alaska.html