Gray TV takes over CBS in Anchorage, AK

Working4You

13 minutes ago, LTSC1980 said:

So both Wyoming and Alaska are becoming a market with Gray TV v. NewsNet, with NewsNet that unlikely to win. What a shame.

Gray will now be the primary voice of reason in each of the five smallest states, by population, South Dakota, North Dakota, Alaska, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Edited by JCB4TV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

This is just terrible news. KTVA is one of the most solid news operations out there and I really feel bad for their people. Their product is so far ahead of what is expected of a market that size. And their brand is respected and well renowned. 

I’m a little confused as to everything right now...

these are my questions.

1. Does Gray have control of KTVA’s news department as of now? Or is it still GCI?

2. Is it still business as usual for the KTVA news department right now? Will they still be on at all their regular times?

3. Why so sudden? 

4. Are KTVA’s newscasts going to air on the new CBS 5 now instead? 

5. Is there more to come? Are we still waiting for some dominos to fall?

Those questions are more likely to be answered given this whole nature of this deal by Gray...

News Music Search Archive now shows Icon News in use on KYES.  So it would appear that maybe KTVA's newscasts have, in fact, moved over to KYES. 

The big question is now whether Gray allows KTUU and KYES (formerly CBS 11) to retain unique news departments.

This entire deal makes me really wish Nexstar got KTVA instead.  Even if they had bought both KTVA and KTUU, Nexstar would've at least kept both news brands.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

News Music Search Archive now shows Icon News in use on KYES.  So it would appear that maybe KTVA's newscasts have, in fact, moved over to KYES. 

The big question is now whether Gray allows KTUU and KYES (formerly CBS 11) to retain unique news departments.

This entire deal makes me really wish Nexstar got KTVA instead.  Even if they had bought both KTVA and KTUU, Nexstar would've at least kept both news brands.  

Did Gray acquire the KTVA news department too? Or just the affiliation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Did Gray acquire the KTVA news department too? Or just the affiliation?

Just the CBS affiliation.  But that entry on NMSA makes me think the (formerly) CBS 11 news dept has moved to KYES.

Per Wikipedia, KYES will simulcast on KTVA...for now. 

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Won't happen. They may let them stay separate for about a year, and even claim that they intend to do so long-term, then they'll turn around and combine them to (ostensibly) create a "stronger" news operation. This has been their playbook every time. KYTV/KSPR, KSFY/KDLT, etc.

Edited by AJClementeFan69
  • Like 2

I could see one unlikely scenario that preserves 2 operations: the ABC and Fox affiliations are essentially held by phantoms in the market. If someone else like Nexstar wanted to step in, they could gain the KTVA license, take those affiliations and keep things with 2 news operations?

2 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Just the CBS affiliation.  But that entry on NMSA makes me think the (formerly) CBS 11 news dept has moved to KYES.

Per Wikipedia, KYES will simulcast on KTVA...for now. 

So is KTVA's news department going to be shut down?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

So is KTVA's news department going to be shut down?

That isn't clear at the moment.  I hope the news dept is allowed to remain (actually I wish both are), though I'm not holding my breath much considering it's Gray.

Edited by TheRyan

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I could see one unlikely scenario that preserves 2 operations: the ABC and Fox affiliations are essentially held by phantoms in the market. If someone else like Nexstar wanted to step in, they could gain the KTVA license, take those affiliations and keep things with 2 news operations?

I read an article from KTVA's website that said the parent company used someone to find a buyer but couldn't find one.

According to the press release, DMH had been working with an outside consultant to find a buyer but was unable to find one inside or outside of Alaska.

I'm really surprised that even Nexstar didn't buy.  Given that Mission is now buying WPIX, I would've thought that Nexstar would be free to buy a station like KTVA.   Very unfortunate of what is happening to KTVA.

• Like 2

Admittedly based on the sound of that, they were literally stuck. Of the companies in buying moods, the only ones really interested in small markets are Gray and Nexstar. The latter probably was too concerned about the cap, while the former has lots of cap space but was already in the market. As a result, they had no real options.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Admittedly based on the sound of that, they were literally stuck. Of the companies in buying moods, the only ones really interested in small markets are Gray and Nexstar. The latter probably was too concerned about the cap, while the former has lots of cap space but was already in the market. As a result, they had no real options.

I believe that Nexstar is in a holding pattern at this time until the WPIX issue is resolved as Nexstar would have to sell should the Mission deal fall though.

4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Why would Nexstar be concerned about the cap? They could sidecar every station in the country and still be considered 'under market cap'.

19 hours ago, TheRyan said:

The NMSA isn't some magic site that is 100% accurate. It's more than likely someone sent in a wild assumption and the operators just put it up since they are unable to verify it.

• Like 4

KTVA now independent after 66 years with CBS?! Maybe they could expand their news output, including the addition of a noon news and an hourlong 9:00 pm news (they would easily beat KTBY).

In Fairbanks, I can see KTVF going back to CBS, KFXF taking NBC, and KXDF becoming MyNetwork TV.

1 hour ago, johnnya2k6 said:

KTVA now independent after 66 years with CBS?! Maybe they could expand their news output, including the addition of a noon news and an hourlong 9:00 pm news (they would easily beat KTBY).

In Fairbanks, I can see KTVF going back to CBS, KFXF taking NBC, and KXDF becoming MyNetwork TV.

KTVA itself no longer has a news department. Everything but the license and transmitter now belongs to Gray. More than likely, the KTVA signal will go dark once it's fully integrated into KYES. KYES is essentially airing a news product named "KTVA 11 News" right now and simulcasting on Channel 11, from the way it's described in the announcement.

• Like 4