2020 NFL Season

Georgie56

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, hfiles said:

And now a live look at the NFL Scheduling team:

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-schedule-changes-team-by-team-adjustments-after-patriots-vs-broncos-is-postponed-to-week-6/

How much longer do we have to wait for Week 18 to be added?

I believe that Week 18 is a last resort for the league, but is definitely on the table. This is they’re fault as they were foolish and naive to not think this was going to happen, especially after what happened with MLB.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Packers-Bucs is being shown everywhere except Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Wow, never knew that a Sunday Ticket rule existed for that purpose. That's kinda stupid to guarantee three games for every market and then have a separate rule that overrides that when a certain network has only one game.

With all of the internet and streaming options available it's just simply incomprehensible how that here we are in 2020 leagues such as the NFL and DirecTV (a satelitte operator) can overrule a DMA over which games they can and can't air. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

That needs to brought up by the networks when they're negotiating the upcoming new TV contract.

• 5 weeks later...

WCCO is running Monday Night Football bumping Wheel and CBS Primetime tonight... Seems odd that ESPN partnered with a CBS O&O instead of KSTP/Hubbard as the ABC Affiliate? Hubbard's KSTP-AM is also the ESPN Radio affiliate for the market which would make you think they'd get the partnership...

22 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

WCCO is running Monday Night Football bumping Wheel and CBS Primetime tonight... Seems odd that ESPN partnered with a CBS O&O instead of KSTP/Hubbard as the ABC Affiliate? Hubbard's KSTP-AM is also the ESPN Radio affiliate for the market which would make you think they'd get the partnership...

Maybe KSTP wanted to run Dancing With the Stars and The Good Doctor.

I would assume that it's at ABC insistence. O&O WLS isn't airing the game, either, despite carrying a Bears MNF game last month. They're producing tonight's pregame show for the broadcast on WCIU/CW26. The network wanted Chicago to air the semifinals of DWTS.

21 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I would assume that it's at ABC insistence. O&O WLS isn't airing the game, either, despite carrying a Bears MNF game last month. They're producing tonight's pregame show for the broadcast on WCIU/CW26. The network wanted Chicago to air the semifinals of DWTS.

So what's the methodology than for who gets the rights to broadcast? WCIU is probably about to post their best numbers in a while, but if a CBS O&O has it in one market, wouldn't it make sense to make a multi-market deal with CBS and throw it on WBBM as well? Genuine question- I have no clue what the process is.

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

So what's the methodology than for who gets the rights to broadcast? WCIU is probably about to post their best numbers in a while, but if a CBS O&O has it in one market, wouldn't it make sense to make a multi-market deal with CBS and throw it on WBBM as well? Genuine question- I have no clue what the process is.

Hearst has right-of-first-refusal in markets where it owns a station because of its 20% stake in ESPN. ABC also gets right-of-first-refusal in its O&O markets since it obviously shares common ownership with ESPN under Disney. If Hearst/ABC passes on their ROFR, or it's a market where neither company owns a station, I believe it's an open bidding process and likely goes to the high bidder. Maybe WCIU was more willing to pony up cash because, as you say, the game will outrate anything else the station airs.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, 24994J said:

Same happened with WABC and the Giants/Buccaneers game on 11/2 (which was also the Season 4 premiere of The Good Doctor). They passed it on to WPIX CW 11. Most if not all of the Jets and Giants MNF games end up on WPIX. The only one I recall WABC airing last season was the Jets/Giants game on 12/9/19.

Worth noting that when WABC does carry MNF games, they never produce pregame shows, since it would pre-empt Wheel of Fortune. Despite this, the other ABC O&O's (and WCCO) have no problem doing so. WLS will always bump Wheel for MNF pregame, and WPVI usually does too when they carry games (although they did not air a pregame on 12/9/19 likely because that was the first day of Vanna White's highly-anticipated hosting stint on Wheel).

AFAIK, WCCO airs all MNF games that involve the Vikings. Wheel gets pre-empted by them multiple times per season for that reason, usually delayed to late Tuesday night (since Monday night is used for CBS primetime makegoods) or just skipped entirely.

1 hour ago, WheelWarrior said:

WLS will always bump Wheel for MNF pregame, and WPVI usually does too when they carry games (although they did not air a pregame on 12/9/19 likely because that was the first day of Vanna White's highly-anticipated hosting stint on Wheel).

I remember a few years ago when Eagles games aired on MNF, WPVI moved their pre-game show and the game itself to WPHL, likely because of Dancing With The Stars (WPVI also produces their 10PM newscast). The game last year did air on WPVI though.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, ddaniels20 said:

I remember a few years ago when Eagles games aired on MNF, WPVI moved their pre-game show and the game itself to WPHL, likely because of Dancing With The Stars (WPVI also produces their 10PM newscast). The game last year did air on WPVI though.

WPVI is carrying the Seahawks/Eagles game on 11/30. There is no pregame. However, they will be airing the Disney Holiday Singalong an hour early at 7:00 PM, pre-empting Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, rather than moving it to a subchannel or overnight. This means they will get primetime before any other ABC affiliate in America. I imagine that's got to be a rarity.

This comes on top of two other WOF pre-emptions later in the week for local holiday specials (while Jeopardy! is left alone those other two days, as WPVI frequently pre-empts WOF for specials but never J! unless it's an hour affair), meaning WOF will only air two days next week out of a possible six counting the weekend run (WPVI does not air WOF Weekend during College Football season, and they don't air J! Weekend at all year-round, despite them always giving J! priority over WOF and more promotion on the weekdays, oddly).

15 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

NBC now gets a Sunday afternoon game in addition to SNF this week.

Ah, yes! An AFC regular season game on NBC on Sunday afternoon for the first time in 20+ years (I hope I have the right date range)! Better, NFL games are on 3 NETWORKS AT THE SAME TIME this Sunday!!!! 😁

Archived