KDKA Graphics Modifications

Kenneth Kissel

Whether or not that's Pittsburgh-specific, or the design that will roll out to all stations, it looks pretty slick. Cleans up many of the dated parts of the 2016 look, while keeping the solid bones.

13 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Whether or not that's Pittsburgh-specific, or the design that will roll out to all stations, it looks pretty slick. Cleans up many of the dated parts of the 2016 look, while keeping the solid bones.

According to my KDKA sources,  it IS Pittsburgh-specific they wanted to go further with a gold bottom instead of white and other minor changes but Corporate wouldn't approve it. The Weather graphics don't match the new look (still in the blue) but I believe that will be fixed soon. 

capture_20200713_170902.jpg

capture_20200713_180930.jpg

26 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

According to my KDKA sources,  it IS Pittsburgh-specific they wanted to go further with a gold bottom instead of white and other minor changes but Corporate wouldn't approve it. The Weather graphics don't match the new look (still in the blue) but I believe that will be fixed soon. 

capture_20200713_170902.jpg

This doesn’t look right. Black is too harsh of a color to use. Bad call on this decision.

15 minutes ago, jase said:

This doesn’t look right. Black is too harsh of a color to use. Bad call on this decision.

I would love to see Black with Gold text instead of Blue on the top. It would look better.  In Severe Weather, It Could be Red.

16 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I would love to see Black with Gold text instead of Blue on the top. It would look better.  In Severe Weather, It Could be Red.

Just to clarify, Black is a bad choice period (whether it’s the wx graphics, L3, etc...). Maybe a combination of Grey, White and Gold (no yellow at all) would have been better. Can’t see this lasting long.

23 minutes ago, jase said:

Just to clarify, Black is a bad choice period (whether it’s the wx graphics, L3, etc...). Maybe a combination of Grey, White and Gold (no yellow at all) would have been better. Can’t see this lasting long.

I 100% disagree. This was really well done by KDKA and it really tells you this is a Pittsburgh Newscast. 

36 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I 100% disagree. This was really well done by KDKA and it really tells you this is a Pittsburgh Newscast. 

Regardless of your opinion, Jase's statement is fact. Such a stark contrast is hard on viewer's eyes and challenging for most TVs to render, because high quality black is impossible to achieve with a back light (unless you own an OLED product).

"A TV with a typical backlight, which is usually located either around the edges of the screen or in arrays behind the LCD panel, can’t really achieve true black because a small amount of light still seeps through. When those blacks can’t get “inky”—a term home theater writers used to love when talking about plasma TVs—the screen can’t show as much contrast, which is really what you need to see what’s going on (Horaczek, 2019)."

References:

https://uxmovement.com/content/why-you-should-never-use-pure-black-for-text-or-backgrounds/#:~:text=Pure black text on white backgrounds can cause eye strain,the eyes when reading text.

https://www.popsci.com/how-to-calibrate-tv-dark-content/

10 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Regardless of your opinion, Jase's statement is fact. Such a stark contrast is hard on viewer's eyes and challenging for most TVs to render, because high quality black is impossible to achieve with a back light (unless you own an OLED product).

References:

https://uxmovement.com/content/why-you-should-never-use-pure-black-for-text-or-backgrounds/#:~:text=Pure black text on white backgrounds can cause eye strain,the eyes when reading text.

https://www.popsci.com/how-to-calibrate-tv-dark-content/

I do think KDKA made it light enough where I don't think That will be an Issue. Maybe it could be reversed if there is a lot of complaints for this reason.    

BTW, I did send this information to KDKA so they can tweak this issue. I think in the coming weeks it will work out better.

It’s a good look and matches the current CBSN PITTSBURGH bug when you slap it over the KDKA Logo.

The double text line on the Naya Rivera with the Grey Eye Lower Third looks clean!

Im not sure if I’m feeling the Gold Eye yet on the Kelly Preston Lower Third, It would look good for mornings. 

I liked it at first, but now that I come back & look at it... it has a somber, almost funeral-like look to it.  The black, especially with that Coronavirus graphic, really accentuates that tone.  Looks depressing. I also think it will look awkward for a morning newscast. 

44 minutes ago, RCA TK47 said:

I liked it at first, but now that I come back & look at it... it has a somber, almost funeral-like look to it.  The black, especially with that Coronavirus graphic, really accentuates that tone.  Looks depressing. I also think it will look awkward for a morning newscast. 

I think KDKA has given up trying to get a morning audience.  here is the May ratings.

Capture.PNG

BTW, Here are the New Graphics on KDKA's CW O&O sister station WPCW. These looks really weird with the green CW logo.

capture_20200713_220002.jpg

capture_20200713_220009.jpg

capture_20200713_220013.jpg

capture_20200713_220039.jpg

capture_20200713_220417.jpg

capture_20200713_221023.jpg

capture_20200713_221033.jpg

capture_20200713_221707.jpg

I like the PGH feel to the graphics, but would swap the black and blue on weather - black title bar and blue background for numbers, charts and graphics. Possibly a different shade of blue would work better?

J

Overall, I'm surprised CBS Corporate approved this CBS Pittsburgh graphics change - including the larger CBS eye which seems out of place with the rest of the graphics package - and the symmetry that CBS Corporate has gone to with all their O&O's.  As soon as I saw the graphics change, I immediately thought of the Black and Gold for the professional Pittsburgh sports teams.  Maybe, this is only a temporary change for the upcoming NFL season.  I was born, raised in Western PA, grew up on the golden days of Pittsburgh TV news and I do not ever remember a Black and Gold graphics package for the news broadcasts at WTAE, WPXI, and KDKA even during the "City of Champions" era.  If this CBS Pittsburgh graphics change stays, the O&O's across the country will ask CBS Corporate if they can roll out graphics changes with their particular market sports team colors.  Also, it sounds like CBS Pittsburgh kept this a secret until they rolled the graphics change this week.

8 hours ago, panewswatcher69 said:

Overall, I'm surprised CBS Corporate approved this CBS Pittsburgh graphics change - including the larger CBS eye which seems out of place with the rest of the graphics package - and the symmetry that CBS Corporate has gone to with all their O&O's.  As soon as I saw the graphics change, I immediately thought of the Black and Gold for the professional Pittsburgh sports teams.  Maybe, this is only a temporary change for the upcoming NFL season.  I was born, raised in Western PA, grew up on the golden days of Pittsburgh TV news and I do not ever remember a Black and Gold graphics package for the news broadcasts at WTAE, WPXI, and KDKA even during the "City of Champions" era.  If this CBS Pittsburgh graphics change stays, the O&O's across the country will ask CBS Corporate if they can roll out graphics changes with their particular market sports team colors.  Also, it sounds like CBS Pittsburgh kept this a secret until they rolled the graphics change this week.

WTAE’s 4 was black and gold for years. 

1 hour ago, newscopter7 said:

WTAE’s 4 was black and gold for years. 

This works in large part because, unlike with KDKA, black isn’t the dominant color and there is a overall sense of balance. This is what KDKA should have been shooting for.

8FF8465E-FF53-4A5C-9AC0-8BB3A8B9C9B1.thumb.jpeg.0f635f2ed47b4b1f35644aea4a27dbd8.jpeg1CC77BB6-6D88-4EF1-9072-4F6D41259589.thumb.jpeg.d4ade99a4ab1da960e731865838f8fbd.jpeg2D154CD1-4F20-459E-B42F-744800DA2597.thumb.jpeg.ae3d24b803626fc246551bdebaa8c969.jpeg

I've got a feeling that ViacomCBS only approved this change as a bit of a transitional period between this graphics package and the CBSN style one (which I have noticed that KDKA did do a KPIX and boldened the font on the graphics).

1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

I've got a feeling that ViacomCBS only approved this change as a bit of a transitional period between this graphics package and the CBSN style one (which I have noticed that KDKA did do a KPIX and boldened the font on the graphics).

As I've said previously, CBS intends on using both simultaneously for the foreseeable future because of opposing forces in management.

Archived