2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's insane how Ellengate has imploded on itself these past few weeks. If these allegations are true (and it seems like many of them are), NBC O&Os and Telepictures definitely need to focus on a replacement.  After Oprah left the daytime syndication landscape, Ellen somewhat filled part of that void that Oprah left in terms of being the talkshow where A-list celebs and famous people go to. I truly feel like many celebs will start avoiding Ellen's show just based on the bad publicity.  I don't think think Ellen has really owned up to her own shortcomings and that will hurt the show even greater. I doubt we will see Joe Biden appearing either. 

I do like James Cordon, I hope he is nice in real life as he is on television. I wouldn't mind seeing him on daytime. I wonder if parts of Ellen's audience will migrate to other shows like Tamron Hall's, Kelly Clarkson's or even Drew Barrymore's upcoming talker. 

I still feel like no one really replaced Oprah and it's a shame, her show encompassed so many themes and topics.

I thought that Drew Barrymore was going to be on WXMI Fox17 replacing Mel Robbins not that I believe will be on 10AM as it could be anywhere I think afternoons would be good for Drew's talker to be on maybe 12PM or 1PM. CW7 & WXSP will have some changes this fall.

18 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

It's insane how Ellengate has imploded on itself these past few weeks. If these allegations are true (and it seems like many of them are), NBC O&Os and Telepictures definitely need to focus on a replacement. 

Also strong agree about the points you've made. I wanted to discuss this but wasn't sure how to word my thoughts, but you've done it. Long live the Oprah-era of "must-see" daytime talk. I do think Tamron Hall could become a stronger presence over time when it comes to having those Oprah-like discussions on TV, and that's where Disney will strike gold (again, maybe). As for James Corden being a replacement, I don't know if he carries as much of a presence, even for daytime. I don't think his reputation has been riding high and is also a little too vanilla/not dynamic enough. I thought NBC had always tried to paint Kelly Clarkson as the "de facto" replacement for Ellen when she eventually leaves (referring to strong rumors in the past of Ellen's wife, Portia, telling her to stop her TV show), but maybe it's too soon for her to be promoted to that "spot" (and that might also force a lot of syndication changes??) -- I don't know; it'll be a long road ahead. 

=====================

In other news, KDKA in Pittsburgh is ditching Extra (7:30PM) for a new newscast at that time (with a focus on happy/light news), beginning on August 17. I think this applies to this thread? I believe this means Extra will need a new home if it wants to be shown in the day/primetime? 1:37AM reruns sure don't garner many views.

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Also strong agree about the points you've made. I wanted to discuss this but wasn't sure how to word my thoughts, but you've done it. Long live the Oprah-era of "must-see" daytime talk. I do think Tamron Hall could become a stronger presence over time when it comes to having those Oprah-like discussions on TV, and that's where Disney will strike gold (again, maybe). As for James Corden being a replacement, I don't know if he carries as much of a presence, even for daytime. I don't think his reputation has been riding high and is also a little too vanilla/not dynamic enough. I thought NBC had always tried to paint Kelly Clarkson as the "de facto" replacement for Ellen when she eventually leaves (referring to strong rumors in the past of Ellen's wife, Portia, telling her to stop her TV show), but maybe it's too soon for her to be promoted to that "spot" (and that might also force a lot of syndication changes??) -- I don't know; it'll be a long road ahead. 

=====================

In other news, KDKA in Pittsburgh is ditching Extra (7:30PM) for a new newscast at that time (with a focus on happy/light news), beginning on August 17. I think this applies to this thread? I believe this means Extra will need a new home if it wants to be shown in the day/primetime? 1:37AM reruns sure don't garner many views.

Yeah there is nowhere else for it to go on KDKA. It could wind up on its sister CW channel.

Speaking of new newscasts,

WKRG has been touting for the last several weeks that The Kelly Clarkson Show is moving to sister CW station WFNA on August 10th.  It replaces the now-cancelled Mel Robbins Show at 4pm.

Over on WKRG, they are launching the market's THIRD 4pm newscast, alongside WEAR and WALA.  WPMI can't join the club because of their arrangement with Sinclair, since they are maxed-out news-wise.

21 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

It's insane how Ellengate has imploded on itself these past few weeks. If these allegations are true (and it seems like many of them are), NBC O&Os and Telepictures definitely need to focus on a replacement.  

I still feel like no one really replaced Oprah and it's a shame, her show encompassed so many themes and topics.

I could see Ellen deciding that this upcoming season will be her last. It would give her a chance to exit gracefully (if you want to call it that) and give them time to find someone new to fill her slot next Fall.

Oprah worked in large part because her show was based in Chicago and not in NYC or LA. Focusing on important topics (not celebrities) was key and that resonated with the audience.

Steve Harvey was successful focusing on everyday issues people could relate to before he wanted to do celebrity-focused stuff and left Chicago. We all know how that ended. 

22 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Speaking of new newscasts,

WKRG has been touting for the last several weeks that The Kelly Clarkson Show is moving to sister CW station WFNA on August 10th.  It replaces the now-cancelled Mel Robbins Show at 4pm.

Over on WKRG, they are launching the market's THIRD 4pm newscast, alongside WEAR and WALA.  WPMI can't join the club because of their arrangement with Sinclair, since they are maxed-out news-wise.

I suspect that The Big Bang Theory is probably moving to WFNA and the 4pm newscast will probably be proceeded by Drew Barrymore at 3pm

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

=====================

It does look like they are working to improve Tamron Hall, they recently installed Oprah and The View veteran Candi Carter to shake things up since Bill Geddie left. I guess the second season will be telling on where things stand.

As for James Corden, he has provided a fun late night show on CBS but might actually be a better fit in daytime. He's also created spinoff brands like Carpool Karaoke and Drop the Mike that any media conglomerate would welcome.  Before all of this, I had assumed that he may be taking Colbert's place eventually. Is he too vanilla for you? I know he's big with the musical crowd. The guy could experiment as well, he did do Cats. haha

Clarkson is a natural on camera and I've enjoyed her as a tv presenter on her new daytime talker.  I do wonder if her personal life (recently separated from husband) will change her interests in continuing her show, she recently moved her family to Montana this year after moving to LA with them last year. 

41 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I suspect that The Big Bang Theory is probably moving to WFNA and the 4pm newscast will probably be proceeded by Drew Barrymore at 3pm

That could be a possible move this fall, putting Kelly Clarkson on WKRG to begin with was an unusual move for them to begin with.  Before that, they had an hour of Family Feud which now airs on WPMI for an hour at 4 and again at 6:30 on WEAR.

WFNA also has Big Bang Theory on at 6:30 as well.

The listings show that the 3pm airings of Big Bang are staying put, at least for now. 

They've aired on WKRG since they first picked up the syndicated rights in 2011, and eventually added them to WFNA when they took control of them from WALA.

Clarkson is a natural on camera and I've enjoyed her as a tv presenter on her new daytime talker.  I do wonder if her personal life (recently separated from husband) will change her interests in continuing her show, she recently moved her family to Montana this year after moving to LA with them last year. 

She's still based in LA, the Montana place was going to be their second place and they went there when everything shutdown. I haven't seen anything from her indicating that she's not all in for a few years at least. They've been having new shows all summer with the last session starting today. 

3 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

That could be a possible move this fall, putting Kelly Clarkson on WKRG to begin with was an unusual move for them to begin with.  Before that, they had an hour of Family Feud which now airs on WPMI for an hour at 4 and again at 6:30 on WEAR.

WFNA also has Big Bang Theory on at 6:30 as well.

The listings show that the 3pm airings of Big Bang are staying put, at least for now. 

They've aired on WKRG since they first picked up the syndicated rights in 2011, and eventually added them to WFNA when they took control of them from WALA.

It would make logical sense for WKRG to pick up Barrymore at 3pm but if they insist on carring BBT at least put it at 9:30am. Running infomercials at 9:30am makes no sense to me.

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

It would make logical sense for WKRG to pick up Barrymore at 3pm but if they insist on carring BBT at least put it at 9:30am. Running infomercials at 9:30am makes no sense to me.

Best solution for WKRG is to expand that 9am newscast to an hour.

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

Best solution for WKRG is to expand that 9am newscast to an hour.

That would be best as well. Either way I'm shocked that WKRG has refused to address anything in the 9:30am slot but if they think infomericials is what makes the most money for them then I guess that's fine with me.

22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

That would be best as well. Either way I'm shocked that WKRG has refused to address anything in the 9:30am slot but if they think infomericials is what makes the most money for them then I guess that's fine with me.

Maybe it helps pay for a veteran staffers massive salary! 😅🤣😂

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Originally, when the 9am show was launched years ago, it was a full hour.  By 2008, they began cutting it to sell the 9:30 hour, and the following year, it was gone completely (due to budget cuts and layoffs), replaced by an hour of infomercials.

When it returned around 2015, it's always been a half hour.

9am is a good news hour or lifestyle show time, or for a "live" show starring Kelly Ripa.  Otherwise, it's where The 700 Club usually ends up.

4 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Maybe it helps pay for a veteran staffers massive salary! 😅🤣😂

Well, Mel Showers retired and Alan Sealls jumped to WPMI earlier this year, so that's a ton of money they're saving right there.  Nexstar has pretty much turned them into a revolving door for younger talent, save for a few.

When WKRG got Kelly Clarkson last year, it's the first syndicated talker they've carried since Montel Williams went off the air in 2008. 

'Ellen is Rosie 2.0. Everyone now knows that she is not what she sold herself as. She's just mean, mean, mean.

'If Ellen does walk, we have less than six weeks to keep our clearances (time periods) and build a new show around a new host with new show runners. Otherwise NBC could take the time slots back and up Kelly Clarkson a show that they own.'

'Our show in its current form won't work. The Ellen production staff and Warner Bros' executives lost faith in the three executive producers of the show and Ellen. This is a PR nightmare that you can't recover from.'

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8588169/Staff-call-Ellen-DeGeneres-Talk-Karen-insiders-says-James-Corden-NOT-replacing-her.html?fbclid=IwAR0qNKblukCJmKROYKh5STgmRjuskS_P1DySc1txFV3g4r5Pg-TAC_1KXn0

The talk to replace Ellen is stirring up, Daily Mail suggests that Sean Hayes, Kristen Bell, Melissa McCarthy and Jennifer Aniston have popped up on a shortlist of those in the running to take over the show.  Daily Mail reports that the James Cordon rumors are untrue.

Of the four possibilities that were listed, I see Sean Hayes as the one who would be interested but I don't know if he is mainstream enough beyond the Will & Grace fans, I have serious doubts he can lead a talkshow; the three other ladies have movie and television careers and I skeptical that they would add a talk show to their itinerary.  All four of those names have somewhat of a professional relationship/friendship with Ellen and I doubt they would want to replace their friend, it seems awkward. 

At the end of the day, I can totally see NBC O&Os putting their marbles in Kelly Clarkson and see how it goes. Can we start predicting a 5th hour of the Today show in the afternoon?

4 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8588169/Staff-call-Ellen-DeGeneres-Talk-Karen-insiders-says-James-Corden-NOT-replacing-her.html?fbclid=IwAR0qNKblukCJmKROYKh5STgmRjuskS_P1DySc1txFV3g4r5Pg-TAC_1KXn0

The talk to replace Ellen is stirring up, Daily Mail suggests that Sean Hayes, Kristen Bell, Melissa McCarthy and Jennifer Aniston have popped up on a shortlist of those in the running to take over the show.  Daily Mail reports that the James Cordon rumors are untrue.

Of the four possibilities that were listed, I see Sean Hayes as the one who would be interested but I don't know if he is mainstream enough beyond the Will & Grace fans, I have serious doubts he can lead a talkshow; the three other ladies have movie and television careers and I skeptical that they would add a talk show to their itinerary.  All four of those names have somewhat of a professional relationship/friendship with Ellen and I doubt they would want to replace their friend, it seems awkward. 

At the end of the day, I can totally see NBC O&Os putting their marbles in Kelly Clarkson and see how it goes. Can we start predicting a 5th hour of the Today show in the afternoon?

I figured James doing well enough on the Late Late Show would make a move to daytime meaningless.

I'm sure all the NBC/ABC/CBS stations carrying her at 4pm are begging for Ellen to leave so they can add newscasts!

3 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

I figured James doing well enough on the Late Late Show would make a move to daytime meaningless.

I'm sure all the NBC/ABC/CBS stations carrying her at 4pm are begging for Ellen to leave so they can add newscasts!

Oddly enough in Pensacola, WEAR originally had her at 4pm,  but bumped her to 3pm to launch their 4pm newscast WAY BACK IN 2007.

Oprah ending her show opened the door four years later for WALA to do the same, like many others at the time.

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Oddly enough in Pensacola, WEAR originally had her at 4pm,  but bumped her to 3pm to launch their 4pm newscast WAY BACK IN 2007.

Oprah ending her show opened the door four years later for WALA to do the same, like many others at the time.

I thought WSOC was going to replace Oprah with 4pm news like WSB did but they never did. They didn’t even put Dr. Phil on at 4pm right away, it was Dr. Oz that succeeded Oprah at 4pm until he went to WJZY. I believe Dr. Phil stayed at 10 until Katie was cancelled, then he took her 3pm slot.

Being central time, you would think that a 4pm newscast would have caught on earlier than it did, since it's like the 5pm in the east. 

The 5pm is almost always bi-sected by the network news, and the 6pm takes a chunk out of access in Central.   On the flipside, many eastern markets have opted for a 7pm newscast doing the same thing.

3 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Being central time, you would think that a 4pm newscast would have caught on earlier than it did, since it's like the 5pm in the east. 

The 5pm is almost always bi-sected by the network news, and the 6pm takes a chunk out of access in Central.   On the flipside, many eastern markets have opted for a 7pm newscast doing the same thing.

I guess they wanted to use that hour for syndication as long as they could, since they lose an hour of daytime due to the network morning shows airing at 7am in all time zones.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:18 PM, tvtime07 said:

She's been back in Los Angeles since Memorial Day in order to produce the summer episodes of her show without it having to be co-financed with HughesNet or ViaSat due to a lack of good Internet in MT. 😂 She has The Voice in LA and got a lot of steam in her first season, so whatever is happening with her husband (including him having an EP credit that'll have to be dealt with down the line), it won't affect the show at all. And it has helped that she's kept her show staff as-is as much as she could without blowback, compared to Ellen's situation.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

She's been back in Los Angeles since Memorial Day in order to produce the summer episodes of her show without it having to be co-financed with HughesNet or ViaSat due to a lack of good Internet in MT. 😂 She has The Voice in LA and got a lot of steam in her first season, so whatever is happening with her husband (including him having an EP credit that'll have to be dealt with down the line), it won't affect the show at all. And it has helped that she's kept her show staff as-is as much as she could without blowback, compared to Ellen's situation.

Kelly Clarkson is great and is very much in her element on the talkshow. She comes off as down to earth and genuine to me. I hope she continued on.

Archived