2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, iron_lion said:

Ellen and Judge Judy leaving😒, daytime won't be the same. I wish this would open a slot for Steve Harvey to get his talk show back, but wishful thinking. 

In other news, I've been curious as to why many stations such as WCBS swapped out consistent performer Hot Bench to take a chance on The Drew Barrymore Show?

I believe Maury is ending in 2022 as well.

Steve should return to syndicated, but that could be up to the affiliates, production team and Steve himself.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:20 AM, mrschimpf said:

Live flagship...CBS has tried for years to find some show at 9am to topple the Live crew (though outside the east coast it rarely airs live). It's been this way well back to the 90s with George & Alana

I barely remember George & Alana.  I do remember Ali & Jack, which was one of the biggest turkeys to ever hit syndication.

6 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Hard to believe an 82-year-old man is still telling men whether they are or aren't the father. That amazes me.

A 61-year old (Judge Mathis) also does that from time to time too so yeah...😂🤣

13 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Hard to believe an 82-year-old man is still telling men whether they are or aren't the father. That amazes me.

To be fair, what's more of an indictment? Maury + its ilk still doing it or the many men knowing damn well they're daddy + finding any leeway to bail out responsibilities rather than handling their business when stuff don't work out. Thus foolishness is on display. Sometimes the opposite result favor other men but still...

19 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

To be honest, he actually looks 10 years younger than he really is.

I'm surprised at his age he actually still wants to deal with so much drama on the set. I got to wonder if that's why Jerry Springer wanted to move to a courtroom environment. 

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

To be honest, he actually looks 10 years younger than he really is.

I'm surprised at his age he actually still wants to deal with so much drama on the set.

Money and fan adoration make good therapy.

I’m not sure when it started but I noticed WAXN now airs “National News Tonight” at 1:30am. This reduced “Family Guy” to just one weeknight airing at midnight and bumped up “Bobs Burgers” to 12:30am and “Law and Crime Daily” to 1am. It overlaps slightly with WSOC’s airing at 1:06am.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I could actually see that happening this year. They probably downgraded it because of that. 

On 5/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Nelson R. said:

Yeah I wonder if WCCB might try to get Kelly Clarkson from Nexstar, which took it off WJZY when they started their noon and 4pm news and now have the sole run at 3 on WMYT.

Especially now that an hour of syndication will be freed up in the fall in exchange for the CW adding Saturday nights.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, Nelson R. said:

AH should have got a local OTA deal this year but according to the Katz 2021 preview it is not going to until 2022. But that might actually help its chances for renewal. If it was going into OTA syndication for this year there would be no incentive to renew for that because it’s already eligible. Its Season 6 fate will be announced this week 

As for the Neighborhood yes it’s up for syndication next year too.

203D11B3-0B58-42F9-A60A-C74F1CAAD10C.png

AH has sadly been cancelled. I don’t know if it will go into OTA syndication now after it will have been off the air for more than a year. And CMT demoted it to the middle of the night after a few months of it airing in the afternoons. If it does get picked up by local stations it likely won’t get good time slots. It should’ve been picked up this year, but it wasn’t a sure thing for 100 episodes until it got picked up for Season 5 last May.

Originally, WEAR in Pensacola had Ellen on at 4pm.  Then in 2007, they started their 4pm show (several years before it was the thing to do when Oprah ended) bumping Ellen to 3pm.

I wonder if Sinclair would dare attempt a 3pm newscast?  Do they still have one in West Palm?  If so, maybe they'll finally shorten the 10pm to normal length and air Jimmy Kimmel "Live"?  I think they're the very last ones after the other ABC affiliates dumped their hour-long 10pm shows.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Originally, WEAR in Pensacola had Ellen on at 4pm.  Then in 2007, they started their 4pm show (several years before it was the thing to do when Oprah ended) bumping Ellen to 3pm.

I wonder if Sinclair would dare attempt a 3pm newscast?  Do they still have one in West Palm?  If so, maybe they'll finally shorten the 10pm to normal length and air Jimmy Kimmel "Live"?  I think they're the very last ones after the other ABC affiliates dumped their hour-long 10pm shows.

Yeah, WPEC & KSNV  both have an hour long 3pm news.

4 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Yeah, WPEC & KSNV  both have an hour long 3pm news.

Sadly, we are about a few hours from a handful of Local network affiliates/O&Os becoming just news services outside of network shows. I think we have only the hours of 10am, 1pm, and 2pm (Don’t start a list!) where there hasn’t been a newscast in that slot. Probably 15 years ago, I laughed when someone brought up the premise of a local morning newscast beginning at 4:30am. I said what are they going to call it, “Channel xx News, Graveyard Edition”?!!

I wouldn't be surprised if WoodTV puts local news at 4PM in the fall of 2022 once Ellen show ends. The only station that does 4PM news is Fox17 I wonder if that changes this fall if WZZM goes to a 4PM newscast or not or airs Judge Judy repeats.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:30 PM, jerseyfla said:

Sadly, we are about a few hours from a handful of Local network affiliates/O&Os becoming just news services outside of network shows. I think we have only the hours of 10am, 1pm, and 2pm (Don’t start a list!) where there hasn’t been a newscast in that slot. Probably 15 years ago, I laughed when someone brought up the premise of a local morning newscast beginning at 4:30am. I said what are they going to call it, “Channel xx News, Graveyard Edition”?!!

You could see the writing on the wall. Where stations were doing 5am morning news. I said 4:30am will come and FOX affiliates will get the 9am slot of more news.

I do feel they will continue to make more cheaper syndicated programs that will last 1-2 seasons. And find another show and that will be the cycle.  The future can't be a station that affiliated with 4 networks having local news all day long with no syndicated programming?  The schedules are definitely no longer like the 1990s.

37 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

You could see the writing on the wall. Where stations were doing 5am morning news. I said 4:30am will come and FOX affiliates will get the 9am slot of more news.

I do feel they will continue to make more cheaper syndicated programs that will last 1-2 seasons. And find another show and that will be the cycle.  The future can't be a station that affiliated with 4 networks having local news all day long with no syndicated programming? 

WFRV in Green Bay is an example of this extreme; their only syndicated programming on weekdays is a throwaway hour of Friends against EllenDr. Phil, and Family Feud, and mostly low-tier sports shows and NCIS on the weekends. Nexstar clearly sees them as a news station that will only use syndication when they have to, or whenever they can't get someone to pay for infomercial time.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:31 AM, Megatron81 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if WoodTV puts local news at 4PM in the fall of 2022 once Ellen show ends. The only station that does 4PM news is Fox17 I wonder if that changes this fall if WZZM goes to a 4PM newscast or not or airs Judge Judy repeats.

WOOD should expand to 4:00 p.m. once Ellen ends. They're #1 big time anyways in West Michigan in most, if not all, timeslots. Just look at their competition and you'll see why.

I’m still waiting for that mythical 5pm newscast from WFMJ. 4pm in Youngstown is out of the question.

As far as “all-news”, WOIO/WUAB seems to be going that route because all that’s left on WOIO are the Sony game shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if WUAB reinstates the 7am newscast and goes a full 2 hours.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WOOD should expand to 4:00 p.m. once Ellen ends. They're #1 big time anyways in West Michigan in most, if not all, timeslots. Just look at their competition and you'll see why.

I'm surprised that they haven't at least tried to do it over on The X. 

2 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I’m still waiting for that mythical 5pm newscast from WFMJ. 4pm in Youngstown is out of the question. 

Well they just recently moved Judge Judy to 5pm, and with that show going away, that does open the door for a 5pm newscast. But I highly doubt it'll happen though. And you are right about 4pm. I just don't see any of them starting a 4pm newscast. 

Archived