Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

2020-21 Syndication News


Recommended Posts

There will be a lot of timeslots to fill, but I bet Ellen will try and fluff Kelly Clarkson as her replacement show on most affiliates. There may even be incentives for stations not carrying Ellen to move Kelly Clarkson to an ex-Ellen affiliate in the fall of '22. Either that, or get ready for 'KING 5 News at 3' in Seattle. Or 'NBC Right Now Local News at 4' in Yakima...yeah right, not in market #114.

I wonder if she will continue to host Game of Games for NBC, even after her rocky executive producer scandals. That's how this show met its end. And it's not that they ran out of money for 12 Days of Giveaways.

I will miss a few things about this show, like Average Andy and the haunted house every Halloween, or Jeannie surprising a deserving teacher, but there are some things that I got sick of after a while too, like the constant running gags (like Action Newsroom said).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to believe an 82-year-old man is still telling men whether they are or aren't the father. That amazes me.

Someone was asleep at the wheel 🤣😂🤦‍♂️

Moderators, can we separate out the J!/WOF preemption tracking? I didn’t mind it at first, but it has overtaken this thread over the past 2-3 months, and is not really syndication news, but more preem

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

There will be a lot of timeslots to fill, but I bet Ellen will try and fluff Kelly Clarkson as her replacement show on most affiliates. There may even be incentives for stations not carrying Ellen to move Kelly Clarkson to an ex-Ellen affiliate in the fall of '22. Either that, or get ready for 'KING 5 News at 3' in Seattle. Or 'NBC Right Now Local News at 4' in Yakima...yeah right, not in market #114.

I wonder if she will continue to host Game of Games for NBC, even after her rocky executive producer scandals. That's how this show met its end. And it's not that they ran out of money for 12 Days of Giveaways.

I will miss a few things about this show, like Average Andy and the haunted house every Halloween, or Jeannie surprising a deserving teacher, but there are some things that I got sick of after a while too, like the constant running gags (like Action Newsroom said).

Yeah I wonder if WCCB might try to get Kelly Clarkson from Nexstar, which took it off WJZY when they started their noon and 4pm news and now have the sole run at 3 on WMYT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

I wonder what the future of Game of Games on NBC is, since that's a spinoff of the talk show.

 

Regardless, a lot of NBC affiliates and O&Os just found themselves scrambling for a replacement at 3pm.

Definitely seeing the Hearst stations (which all put it at 4pm) ready to get the plans for newscasts ready to go for September '22. I could see some of them agitate for Kelly, but over the last year a lot of them made quick decisions to go to breaking news whenever it happened in the Ellen timeslot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

There will be a lot of timeslots to fill, but I bet Ellen will try and fluff Kelly Clarkson as her replacement show on most affiliates. There may even be incentives for stations not carrying Ellen to move Kelly Clarkson to an ex-Ellen affiliate in the fall of '22. Either that, or get ready for 'KING 5 News at 3' in Seattle. Or 'NBC Right Now Local News at 4' in Yakima...yeah right, not in market #114.

I wonder if she will continue to host Game of Games for NBC, even after her rocky executive producer scandals. That's how this show met its end. And it's not that they ran out of money for 12 Days of Giveaways.

I will miss a few things about this show, like Average Andy and the haunted house every Halloween, or Jeannie surprising a deserving teacher, but there are some things that I got sick of after a while too, like the constant running gags (like Action Newsroom said).

I grew up in Yakima and if this was 2001 or so I could see a 4pm broadcast but now it will be a cheap show. KING I could actually see a 3pm newscast. WBAL I could see a bewsbroadcast 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Definitely seeing the Hearst stations (which all put it at 4pm) ready to get the plans for newscasts ready to go for September '22. I could see some of them agitate for Kelly, but over the last year a lot of them made quick decisions to go to breaking news whenever it happened in the Ellen timeslot.

Well WTAE does air Ellen at 4pm, so to me, they have a few options:

1. Try to get Kelly Clarkson from WPXI (doubtful, but possible)

2. Start a 4pm newscast (likely as they already do that for breaking news and severe weather coverage)

3. Move The Real from 1:05am to Ellen's timeslot at 4pm (which again is possible, so I wouldn't rule it out)

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Too bad her deal isn't up now. The affiliates are stuck with a ratings dog for another season. I imagine there will be quite a few time slot downgrades in the fall.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Definitely seeing the Hearst stations (which all put it at 4pm) ready to get the plans for newscasts ready to go for September '22. I could see some of them agitate for Kelly, but over the last year a lot of them made quick decisions to go to breaking news whenever it happened in the Ellen timeslot.

I could see WISN continuing with syndicated programming at 4pm (all the other stations in town have 4pm newscasts and they already have an hour at 11am); possibly move Rachael Ray out of late-night if that show is still a go in 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites

WNWO actually picked up the Toledo rights in September after a long run on WTVG.

 

Can't say I'm surprised about this. There were rumors of her retiring long before last year's scandal. I liked her segments of helping people in need, and bringing on young kids to meet their idols. The guest scaring thing got stale several years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally writing on the wall, as many have said. Another thing was her social media engagement numbers were totally way down. If people don't catch her live, they used to be able to depend on her immense social media engagement, with her YouTube videos garnering hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of views within 24 hours. But now they eek out basically nothing and even though she can still get name-brand celebrities, I get the huge sense that she's definitely a third rail, is no longer discussed as openly, and is no longer a "BFF" that they might have been able to treat her as in the past. And she basically tried to stop being who she was in order to project a better perception of herself, but it's very vanilla at this point; the damage is done. 

 

Now as for NBC replacements, I'm feeling like unless they're able to recruit a host, it might finally be time to extend the news into the afternoons, like perhaps finally getting KNTV and the like a 4PM newscast for the ones without it yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Drew said:

I grew up in Yakima and if this was 2001 or so I could see a 4pm broadcast but now it will be a cheap show. KING I could actually see a 3pm newscast. WBAL I could see a bewsbroadcast 

Didn't know you grew up in Yakima. Yeah, everything is still behind the times here 😉

We still have no noon newscast to this day (but KNDO and briefly, KIMA, did in the early '00s...wonder why they went away), and of course KAPP is news-free on weekends. And 85% of the news on TV comes from Tri-Cities or even Spokane...but at least we still have a few local people at KIMA left. Wonder how long it takes for Sinclair to move Jake Taylor out to KEPR. Even I can't believe KIMA still runs 5 and 6pm news locally, with the mass amount of Sinclair-mandated stuff and KEPR-fed stories.

15 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

WNWO actually picked up the Toledo rights in September after a long run on WTVG.

 

Can't say I'm surprised about this. There were rumors of her retiring long before last year's scandal. I liked her segments of helping people in need, and bringing on young kids to meet their idols. The guest scaring thing got stale several years ago.

Young kids in general. Macey and her geography skills at her young age, little Tayt getting a new heart, and that little kid who knew the periodic table...WOW. College should be fun for all of them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Didn't know you grew up in Yakima. Yeah, everything is still behind the times here 😉

We still have no noon newscast to this day (but KNDO and briefly, KIMA, did in the early '00s...wonder why they went away), and of course KAPP is news-free on weekends. And 85% of the news on TV comes from Tri-Cities or even Spokane...but at least we still have a few local people at KIMA left. Wonder how long it takes for Sinclair to move Jake Taylor out to KEPR. Even I can't believe KIMA still runs 5 and 6pm news locally, with the mass amount of Sinclair-mandated stuff and KEPR-fed stories.

Young kids in general. Macey and her geography skills at her young age, little Tayt getting a new heart, and that little kid who knew the periodic table...WOW. College should be fun for all of them.

KNDO-KNDU cancelled the noon news shortly after KHQ purchased them. My neighbor’s mom worked for them during that time and KHQ didnt see the need for the noon and KHQ didnt have one and they cancelled their 4:30pm broadcast shortly afterwards too. 
 

i can see KIMA doing away with Yakima within a couple of years and doing what KNDO has done and rented a small space somewhere for a small crew.

 

I can also see KHQ make a weeknight broadcast for the Spokane-Yakima-Kennewick market like their the 6:30 show they are doing in Spokane 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

KNDO is already doing the weekend news from Q6. A sign of the times. Pre-COVID it was Tri-Cities based with Ryan Overton's WX taped at KHQ. Now there isn't anybody at KNDU on weekends. Sinclair's probably waiting patiently for Alan Sillence to retire, and then all systems are go for a KEPR simulcast...

It's better than the '90s. There was no weekend news whatsoever in Yakima, except for Saturday at 6 on KAPP.  At 11:00 on Sunday, you could either watch the CBS Sunday Night News on KIMA, George Michael's Sports Machine on KNDO, or an infomercial on KAPP. And this went on for years. Yakima was one of the last areas in the country to show the CBS Sunday Night News 'on time' - whether at 11 or 11:15. Most areas had dumped it to 1-2am or not at all.

Maybe I'll PM you regarding some other things so I don't hijack the topic at hand.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Didn't know you grew up in Yakima. Yeah, everything is still behind the times here 😉

We still have no noon newscast to this day (but KNDO and briefly, KIMA, did in the early '00s...wonder why they went away), and of course KAPP is news-free on weekends. And 85% of the news on TV comes from Tri-Cities or even Spokane...but at least we still have a few local people at KIMA left. Wonder how long it takes for Sinclair to move Jake Taylor out to KEPR. Even I can't believe KIMA still runs 5 and 6pm news locally, with the mass amount of Sinclair-mandated stuff and KEPR-fed stories.

Young kids in general. Macey and her geography skills at her young age, little Tayt getting a new heart, and that little kid who knew the periodic table...WOW. College should be fun for all of them.

 

The young kids like the geography, periodic table, and the presidential experts were stuff no other talk show does right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

WKYC in Cleveland carries both Ellen and Kelly.  When Ellen ends, could Kelly move to 4pm, or could Dr. Phil take that slot? 

 

Dr. Phil did help WKYC find an even bigger footing in the market with local news right it was launched in 2002.  That, along with WOIO's "Action News" format and WJW's dominance were all what contributed to WEWS' declines for a while.

 

Then there's also Daily Blast Live.  Could that replace Ellen?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

...there's also Daily Blast Live.  Could that replace Ellen?

 

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure Daily Blast Live is 30 minutes long so if that were to happen, the stations that replace Ellen with DBL would have to pair another show with it, or it would be extended to an hour. If I'm wrong and it's an hour long, then I think it could. 

Edited by phillynewslover
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

This should probably get its own thread but Ellen is ending next year. https://tvline.com/2021/05/12/ellen-degeneres-show-cancelled-ending-season-19/

Good riddance, really. Theres plenty of options in syndication currently so I'm sure affiliates will find a replacement. And if they don't want to shop in the syndication, they'll put up an early newscast or move around some chess pieces that they already have

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah I wonder if WCCB might try to get Kelly Clarkson from Nexstar, which took it off WJZY when they started their noon and 4pm news and now have the sole run at 3 on WMYT.

I could actually see that happening this year. They probably downgraded it because of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I could actually see that happening this year. They probably downgraded it because of that. 

Me too

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Definitely seeing the Hearst stations (which all put it at 4pm) ready to get the plans for newscasts ready to go for September '22. I could see some of them agitate for Kelly, but over the last year a lot of them made quick decisions to go to breaking news whenever it happened in the Ellen timeslot.

In OKC, I believe that KOCO will launch a 4:00 newscast as a third such newscast in the market.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed that WXIA will join the other three Atlanta stations with a 4:00 news after Ellen hangs it up (since we moved up from the #10 market to #7!!!)...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ellen and Judge Judy leaving😒, daytime won't be the same. I wish this would open a slot for Steve Harvey to get his talk show back, but wishful thinking. 

 

In other news, I've been curious as to why many stations such as WCBS swapped out consistent performer Hot Bench to take a chance on The Drew Barrymore Show?

Edited by iron_lion
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

In other news, I've been curious as to why many stations such as WCBS swapped out consistent performer Hot Bench to take a chance on The Drew Barrymore Show?

Live flagship...CBS has tried for years to find some show at 9am to topple the Live crew (though outside the east coast it rarely airs live). It's been this way well back to the 90s with George & Alana

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Fingers crossed that WXIA will join the other three Atlanta stations with a 4:00 news after Ellen hangs it up (since we moved up from the #10 market to #7!!!)...

WSOC still doesn’t have one. Thought they would get one after Oprah like WSB did but Dr. Oz took over the time slot and then finally Dr. Phil after Dr. Oz went to WJZY.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.