Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
mrschimpf

2020-21 Syndication News

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Are there are any weekday syndies besides Wheel of Fortune and Ellen that don't offer a second airing of any kind - whether it's a full-on second run, or an "encore airing" like many markets do with the newsmagazine shows

I

Rachael Ray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

I could have sworn I've seen at least one market repeat Rachael Ray overnight... unless that was its only airing.

Not overnight, but Rachael Ray airs twice in Albany. It airs on both stations of the Hubbard duopoly, at 9am on WNYA and 2pm on WNYT. According to Zap2it, it's the same episode in both slots.

Edited by ScottJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the full list of weekday schedule changes in Detroit effective 9/14 courtesy of Zap2It.

 

WMYD:

  • Jerry Springer returns to the station after a couple years. It will air at 1:00 AM (replacing two episodes of Caught in Providence) and at 10:00 AM (replacing two episodes of The Verdict with Judge Hatchett). Of course, it still airs on WKBD as well.
  • The overnight airing of Maury will now be right at 2 AM, replacing DailyMailTV.
  • Justice with Judge Mablean, one episode of Caught in Providence, Chicago PD, and The Verdict with Judge Hatchett will air from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM, replacing infomercials.
  • The Doctors, the same episode that had just concluded on WXYZ (the other station of the Scripps duopoly), will air at 11:00 AM, replacing Tamron Hall.
  • The station has acquired Access Daily from WADL (see below for their changes), and it replaces Chicago PD at 11:00 PM.

 

WADL:

  • Intervention at midnight (replaces Access Daily), Cheaters moves a half-hour early to 1:00 AM, and it's previous 1:30 AM spot is taken by Law & Crime Daily.
  • Balancing Act replaces one run of ES.TV at 6:00 AM, displaced from 7:30 AM, which is where a second episode of Law & Crime Daily will be airing.
  • The First 48 airs at 10:00 AM (replacing True Crime Daily) and at 4:00 PM (displacing the two Forensic Files runs an hour earlier at 3:00 PM, replacing Protection Court).
  • Two additional airings of Friends will replace Access Daily in the 5:00 PM hour, in addition to the existing 9:30 AM airing.

WKBD:

  • Impractical Jokers and Funny You Should Ask move from 4:00 AM (with infomercials replacing those two) to 8:00 AM, replacing one episode of Jerry Springer.

WWJ:

  • The Dr. Oz Show moves an hour early to 3:00 PM to replace the cancelled Mel Robbins Show to make room for Drew Barrymore, which will air at 4:00 PM.

With these changes, DailyMailTV and Tamron Hall will no longer be cleared in the Detroit market.

Edited by DetroitTVNews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Not overnight, but Rachael Ray airs twice in Albany. It airs on both stations of the Hubbard duopoly, at 9am on WNYA and 2pm on WNYT. According to Zap2it, it's the same episode in both slots.

So it looks like Wheel and Ellen really are the only strictly-single-airing weekday syndies, unless anyone knows of any markets that air Ellen twice. I've never seen it, and I know for a fact Wheel doesn't (although WJFW in Rhinelander, WI once repeated the same day's Jeopardy! and Wheel in primetime to replace the infamous 30 Rock reunion special that most NBC affiliates refused to air).

Edited by WheelWarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 10:58 AM, Nelson R. said:

Wow!!! I guess that is what WAXN is going to be replacing Mel Robbins with in daytime. WSOC doesn’t have room unless Wendy Williams moves over. They could put a run back at 12:30 if they shortened the midday news again.  I think Steve Harvey is hilarious but that is overkill.

 

Wendy Williams show should move onto WJZY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

With these changes, DailyMailTV and Tamron Hall will no longer be cleared in the Detroit market.

 

Tamron Hall is going to graveyard in Columbia SC, per the other forum. Any other downgrades?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mvcg66b3r said:

 

Tamron Hall is going to graveyard in Columbia SC, per the other forum. Any other downgrades?

In Albany, she goes from 11am on WNYT to 7pm on WNYA. That seems like a downgrade to me, especially opposite Wheel&Jep! on WTEN. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jero23 said:

 

Wendy Williams show should move onto WJZY.

If it was going to, it would have when Fox still owned it, IMO. 
 

It is staying put on Cox. The main run will remain on WSOC at 10am, the repeat moves from 1:37 am on WSOC to 6am on WAXN.

Edited by Nelson R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mvcg66b3r said:

 

Tamron Hall is going to graveyard in Columbia SC, per the other forum. Any other downgrades?

She’s been dumped from the 4p slot on KEYE/CBS/Sinclair in Austin as of next week in favor of Drew Barrymore. 

Edited by Greggo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mvcg66b3r said:

 

Tamron Hall is going to graveyard in Columbia SC, per the other forum. Any other downgrades?

 

In Dallas, it's moving from 2:00 PM on KTVT (CBS O&O), in favor of Drew, to 9:00 AM on KDAF (CW), replacing a double run of DailyMailTV.

 

In what is probably one of the few cases of Millionaire returning to the same station it aired on its first-run, KTXA in Dallas (indie) now airs it at 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM. During the show's final years in first-run, they only aired one run at 6:30, which is now repeats of KTVT's 6:00 news. Also, KTXA replaced a HIMYM double run with a RightThisMinute double run at 8:00 PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to know what the ratings were for Tamron in her first season in syndication, granted she was interrupted a lot last season by Special Reports as well as of course, COVID-19 but until we know what the ratings were, I just simply can't understand why she's getting downgraded and/or outright dropped with no one picking her show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

With these changes, DailyMailTV and Tamron Hall will no longer be cleared in the Detroit market.

 

I'm looking at this TitanTV guide and I see Tamron airing at 10am on WXYZ, starting on the 14th.

 

This should've happened last year......

 

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I'm curious to know what the ratings were for Tamron in her first season in syndication, granted she was interrupted a lot last season by Special Reports as well as of course, COVID-19 but until we know what the ratings were, I just simply can't understand why she's getting downgraded and/or outright dropped with no one picking her show up.

I totally agree here with the confusion -- I really think Tamron has the gravitas to head her own endeavor and I don't want to see her forced back into niche Discovery shows, but I don't think this bodes well for her show's future unless its ratings can bump higher for its second season. I found this link here and I'm assuming the show probably squeezed out barely a 1.0 on average, which isn't really the best...but not awful, especially for a rookie show (well, idk maybe it is). But for a show that's gotten some acclaim (an Emmy!) and does dive into more serious topics a la Katie or Oprah, I've really been hoping she could fill in that void left by Oprah in that "serious, and somewhat mysterious, but intriguing, and also sometimes comedic" genre that's been missing. I think today's audiences have really moved beyond that "sit-down experience"/need to watch it live for those specific types of interviews, though. Oh well, we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamron's show started out great in the the ratings, but kind of slipped later in the show's first season. I'm hoping the ratings will get better, but otherwise, it probably won't last by the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Tamron's show started out great in the the ratings, but kind of slipped later in the show's first season. I'm hoping the ratings will get better, but otherwise, it probably won't last by the end of the season.

The preemptions by broadcast networks for Special Reports didn't help the cause. I think if it weren't for that and COVID ending the season early, I think Tamron would have maybe gotten a better rating than a 1.0

 

I don't think we'll ever know how well Tamron's 1st season ratings could've been without COVID and.or constant marathon-long news coverage by the networks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

The preemptions by broadcast networks for Special Reports didn't help the cause. I think if it weren't for that and COVID ending the season early, I think Tamron would have maybe gotten a better rating than a 1.0

 

I don't think we'll ever know how well Tamron's 1st season ratings could've been without COVID and.or constant marathon-long news coverage by the networks.

 

I agree that all the special reports didn't help the cause as well as the pandemic. i think the ratings might have been the same or even better if not earth-shattering. I think the ratings might have been average, but not exceptionally great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

The preemptions by broadcast networks for Special Reports didn't help the cause. I think if it weren't for that and COVID ending the season early, I think Tamron would have maybe gotten a better rating than a 1.0

 

I don't think we'll ever know how well Tamron's 1st season ratings could've been without COVID and.or constant marathon-long news coverage by the networks.

 

It really was a year unlike any other for syndies. The impeachment hearing resulted in an unprecedented volume of daytime preemptions, and it wasn't long after that that COVID hit and led to more preemptions and an abrupt halt to the year.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Samantha said:

 

It really was a year unlike any other for syndies. The impeachment hearing resulted in an unprecedented volume of daytime preemptions, and it wasn't long after that that COVID hit and led to more preemptions and an abrupt halt to the year.

Even though in hindsight I'm sure Disney had no idea that all of this was going to happen, I'm sure that had Tamron waited until the 2021-22 TV season to debut or had debuted sooner they may have been a lot better off.

 

Tbh though, this wasn't all Disney's fault or anyone else it was just one of those "circumstances beyond control" situations where there was nothing that it could've been done any differently and I'm sure Tamron herself would've said the same thing.

 

The only syndication show that got really lucky that had very few preemptions (other than COVID) was Wheel of Fortune largely thanks to strict scheduling (Jeopardy! for the most part was lucky too outside of stations that carry J! outside of prime access windows)

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

The only syndication show that got really lucky that had very few preemptions (other than COVID) was Wheel of Fortune largely thanks to strict scheduling (Jeopardy! for the most part was lucky too outside of stations that carry J! outside of prime access windows)

Kelly also got lucky to a smaller extent despite pre-emptions, because she had a firewall where Bravo airs it in overnights if it's missed on the local station, and the local stations (if they're NBC owned or affiliates, at least) can also take an overnight replay instead of the Today fourth hour (Tamron didn't have that option). And she took advantage of this real odd summer by continuing to do new shows from home up to Labor Day while Ellen continued to crash and burn in 'before COVID' rerun hell (and her overall horrid home COVID production when still in originals), which paid off as the state and local news conferences began to dissipate a little. I can see if Ellen's mea culpa ends up backfiring next week (she's likely counting on it being a 'only trade press cares' story), that Kelly might just get more steam and next year, we could see the shows switch places on the large-market stations where they air back-to-back.

 

It also showed just how badly that these station group-owned shows just depend on an inane news cycle that will never be pre-empted...and the moment that happens, it's a ratings and logistics disaster. RightThisMinuteDBLThe List (taken out for a while for a coronavirus newscast) and anything which is a local or national advertorial just tripped over both feet trying to find a way to stay relevant without being tacky. And even if Dr. Oz eventually realized 'oh yeah, I'm a doctor...I should be doing doctor stuff rather than taking about true crime', he stumbled badly by embracing early conspiracy theories, and why he kept up 'before COVID' reruns through the summer was incredibly confusing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WRBL (CBS) in Columbus, GA added a newscast on Saturdays at 7:00 PM and now follows it with infomercials at 7:30. As a result, the weekend run of Wheel of Fortune (previously 7:30) now airs Saturday nights at 11:30 PM followed by Weekend Jeopardy! (previously 7:00) at midnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

Wood TV:

As of Sep 19 Storm Of Suspicion will be on at 1:30AM late Sat/Early Sun at 1:30AM replacing Elementary.

 

WXSP:

Celebrity Page is now on 1PM & 2PM Sun,

Heartland 10:30PM Sun, replacing Chi PD,

Murdoch Mysteries 11:30PM Sun replacing Chi PD,

First 48 Sep 14 1AM replacing Chi PD,

Sep 14 King Of Queens 10AM to 11AM was on WXSP in the early 2000's before moving to CW7 in 2006 for only a year which wasn't cleared after that.

 

WXMI Fox17:

Right This Minute 1PM to 2PM maybe or RTM & The List combo in the time slot will know in 12 hours from now.

Maury is on the move.

 

CW7:

Maury at 4PM no way that it will be on Fox17 & CW7 as Sinclair owns CW7 TV Pass Port said Sep 14 TV Zap To It has it later today,

SSN Immortals & The Short List Sun 9:30AM to 10:30AM.

 

The guide on the web still has Mel Robbins even know it ends on Sep 11, I'm also surprised that Schitt's Creek debut's on Sep 28 that seems really late I thought it be Sep 21 I haven't seen promos of it I think it would either go to WXSP or CW7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, Nelson R. said:

WMYT and WAXN have some changes starting September 7.

 

WMYT:

9am Justice With Judge Mabelean (replaces The Real)

9:30 America’s Court With Judge Ross (replaces The Real)

1:30 The Verdict With Judge Hatchett (replaces one run of Protection Court)

2:30 Supreme Justice With Judge Karen Mills (replaces one run of Divorce Court)

 

Early morning changes on WAXN. 

5am Right This Minute (replaces Pawn Stars)

6am Wendy Williams (replaces double run of Right This Minute), this repeat was previously on WSOC at 1:37 am, it moves from the very end to the beginning of the broadcast day

 

More changes to come on WMYT when Chicago PD, Caught in Providence and America Says disappear. I am surprised that The Real has been removed from their schedule, that is quite a downgrade at 9am, I wonder if it is changing stations? But I bet WJZY/WMYT got Nick Cannon. I saw a promo for Kelly Clarkson and Dr. Oz on WJZY last night but not The Real, hmmm? I hope the single run of Divorce Court is just temporary.

 And more changes to come on WAXN when Mel Robbins and The Game disappear.

 

TV Passport nor TV Guide have updated the changes, WSOC will probably have something else at 1:37 am now. 
 

I’ll have any late night changes later.

Right This Minute will NOT be replacing Pawn Stars at 5 am on WAXN, Titan TV goofed.

 

Also Law and Crime Daily will be replacing a run of Bob’s Burgers on WAXN weeknights at 1:30am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 3:11 AM, Roadrunner said:

I totally agree here with the confusion -- I really think Tamron has the gravitas to head her own endeavor and I don't want to see her forced back into niche Discovery shows, but I don't think this bodes well for her show's future unless its ratings can bump higher for its second season. I found this link here and I'm assuming the show probably squeezed out barely a 1.0 on average, which isn't really the best...but not awful, especially for a rookie show (well, idk maybe it is). But for a show that's gotten some acclaim (an Emmy!) and does dive into more serious topics a la Katie or Oprah, I've really been hoping she could fill in that void left by Oprah in that "serious, and somewhat mysterious, but intriguing, and also sometimes comedic" genre that's been missing. I think today's audiences have really moved beyond that "sit-down experience"/need to watch it live for those specific types of interviews, though. Oh well, we'll see.

I could see WSOC moving Dr. Phil up to 3pm next year and finally launching a 4pm newscast if Tamron is cancelled.

Edited by Nelson R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.