2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I’m still waiting for that mythical 5pm newscast from WFMJ. 4pm in Youngstown is out of the question.

As far as “all-news”, WOIO/WUAB seems to be going that route because all that’s left on WOIO are the Sony game shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if WUAB reinstates the 7am newscast and goes a full 2 hours.

WFMJ is one of those stations that has NEVER done news at all at 5pm.  Even WKYC flirted with half hour shows in the 80s and 90s either at 5 or 5:30.  Then they finally joined the 5p game almost 15 years after WOIO started at 4:00.

The Cleveland stations are so overloaded with news and inbred programming, that's why WBNX has so many shows.  Only when the syndication market dries up could WBNX actually be in trouble, despite the passing of their lord and savior, Ernest Angley.

2 hours ago, TheRob said:

We're jettisoning Wendy Williams this fall. Judge Judy and Jeopardy will swap places. Judge Judy will strictly be "best of" obviously.

KCWE keeping their reruns? That's a unique situation.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:08 AM, NEOMatrix said:

I’m still waiting for that mythical 5pm newscast from WFMJ. 4pm in Youngstown is out of the question.

As far as “all-news”, WOIO/WUAB seems to be going that route because all that’s left on WOIO are the Sony game shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if WUAB reinstates the 7am newscast and goes a full 2 hours.

Don't hold your breath on WFMJ TV 21. They been riding high with Oprah as their lead-in and then Ellen at the 5pm hour.  Youngstown a small market and dying city.

I can only imagine the lead story about the Mob running Youngstown or a mob crime boss body found floating in Mahoning River.  With Judy leaving they probably will put Ellen back at 5pm as a lead-in or move Dr. Phil at 5pm and Ellen at 4pm. 

I'm not sure it's been mentioned here but since the CW is now programming Saturday nights, that means that the affiliates will be getting back the 2 hours of programming the network uses during the week.  So that frees up some room for at least 2 more displaced talk shows or some more half-hour syndication.  Would come in handy in a place like Cleveland, should WUAB bother to get something worthwhile to put there.

23 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm not sure it's been mentioned here but since the CW is now programming Saturday nights, that means that the affiliates will be getting back the 2 hours of programming the network uses during the week.  So that frees up some room for at least 2 more displaced talk shows or some more half-hour syndication.  Would come in handy in a place like Cleveland, should WUAB bother to get something worthwhile to put there.

It’s one hour on weekdays, actually. The affiliates are getting back the time The CW is currently using for Jerry Springer reruns.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, Breaking News said:

Don't hold your breath on WFMJ TV 21. They been riding high with Oprah as their lead-in and then Ellen at the 5pm hour.  Youngstown a small market and dying city.

I can only imagine the lead story about the Mob running Youngstown or a mob crime boss body found floating in Mahoning River.  With Judy leaving they probably will put Ellen back at 5pm as a lead-in or move Dr. Phil at 5pm and Ellen at 4pm. 

My guess is that Ellen stays at 2pm, with Hot Bench at 3 and Dr Phil at 4. If WFMJ doesn’t fill the 5pm with news, it’s a good chance they’ll throw “You Bet Your Life” in that slot.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:01 AM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I'm surprised that they haven't at least tried to do it over on The X. 

Or WOTV as they air The Goldbergs at 4PM kinda surprised about that they replay 8 West at 3PM on WOTV.

Just saw where The Goldbergs just signed on for their second cycle starting in 2022 with Nexstar which is basically the Tribune stations from when they first entered syndication in 2017. But in Charlotte I guess that means they will move to WMYT. 

Wonder why the second cycle is just three years?

0E8A0BBE-830E-4F30-A258-5BF2856847A1.jpeg

WBNX has posted its Fall 2021 Schedule this week:

https://wbnx.com/fall-schedule-2021

New to the lineup are:

• Friends
  • Relative Justice with Rhonda Wills
  • Nick Cannon
  • Young Sheldon
  • You Bet Your Life with Jay Leno
  • Chicago Fire
  • Law and Order: SVU
  • Bull
  • Seal Team

This will a return to Friends to the Cleveland market and WBNX.  Everything else is new to the station.  (Cannon was supposed to be on the station twice a day on weekdays last fall, but was pushed to this year due to his controversies.)

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

New to the lineup are:

• Friends
  • Nick Cannon
  • Young Sheldon
  • Chicago Fire
  • Bull
  • Seal Team

This will a return to Friends to the Cleveland market and WBNX.  Everything else is new to the station.  (Cannon was supposed to be on the station twice a day on weekdays last fall, but was pushed to this year due to his controversies.)

Can always count on WBNX to be the first one in the country ready with a schedule!!

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

New to the lineup are:

• Friends
  • Nick Cannon
  • Young Sheldon
  • Chicago Fire
  • Bull
  • Seal Team

1 hour ago, KS-IL-IA said:

Can always count on WBNX to be the first one in the country ready with a schedule!!

That was quick!

Goldbergs and Young Sheldon go well together.

Good to see WBNX is still going strong.  As long as they remain profitable and are getting decent viewership, I don't think they'll be sold off any time soon unless someone makes them an offer they can't refuse.  And with all of the shows they have due to the market being the way it is, any future owner would keep things status quo.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-kelly-clarkson-show-take-over-ellen-degeneres-daytime-slot-2022-1234764605/

Just on O&O’s…not the whole country…though I could still see Kelly switching stations in Charlotte because WJZY dropped her airing when they started their noon and 4pm news and now she only airs on WMYT. Just not necessarily to WCCB. Maybe she replaces Judge Judy on WCNC? 

42 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-kelly-clarkson-show-take-over-ellen-degeneres-daytime-slot-2022-1234764605/

Wow…..this sounds like this goes for ALL stations currently carrying Ellen, not just NBC O&O’s and even if they currently do not air Kelly. Yes I believe Kelly Clarkson is WCCB bound this fall in Charlotte. I bet it will replace the CW Jerry Springer run. But probably not at 1:00. 

No. The article just says the NBC O&Os are going place Clarkson on the Ellen slots in Fall '22.

It did NOT say Clarkson is replacing Ellen en masse (outside the O&Os).

27 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

No. The article just says the NBC O&Os are going place Clarkson on the Ellen slots in Fall '22.

It did NOT say Clarkson is replacing Ellen en masse (outside the O&Os).

That makes more sense but I could've swore it didn’t say that originally.

25 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

That makes more sense but I could've swore it didn’t say that originally.

You just looked at the header "‘The Kelly Clarkson Show’ To Take Over Ellen DeGeneres’ Daytime Slot By 2022" and thought that Ellen would be replaced by Clarkson in all markets. That header can be misleading if you don't live in the top markets where it has an NBC O&O.

Take for example Clarkson airs on the Boston O&O (WBTS), but WCVB airs Ellen. Do you think Clarkson is going to be moved from WBTS to WCVB? That wouldn't make sense.

8 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

You just looked at the header "‘The Kelly Clarkson Show’ To Take Over Ellen DeGeneres’ Daytime Slot By 2022" and thought that Ellen would be replaced by Clarkson in all markets. That header can be misleading if you don't live in the top markets where it has an NBC O&O.

Take for example Clarkson airs on the Boston O&O (WBTS), but WCVB airs Ellen. Do you think Clarkson is going to be moved from WBTS to WCVB? That wouldn't make sense.

The headline is misleading. 

4 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

The headline is misleading. 

That's why it's important to read the whole article. There's a limited amount of information that can be conveyed in a headline. The details are in the actual article. Plus headlines are often used for clickbait and shouldn't be trusted by themselves.

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Just on O&O’s…not the whole country…though I could still see Kelly switching stations in Charlotte because WJZY dropped her airing when they started their noon and 4pm news and now she only airs on WMYT. Just not necessarily to WCCB. Maybe she replaces Judge Judy on WCNC? 

I wonder where WYFF will place her now. Swap her and Days of Our Lives?

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if NBC tries to give incentives to their affiliates to carry Kelly's show, even if Kelly's show is on another network affiliate. It may even go nationally on NBC like the old Leeza Gibbons show did. Can they do that?

I'm sure Nick Cannon will end up on KCYU. He's going to the Fox O&Os (i.e., KCPQ or KZJO), so it would make sense for FOX 41 Yakima to carry him too.

I still want Young Sheldon on KIMA. Move Inside Edition to a 4:30PM lead-in to news, Y.S. at 6:30, BBT at 7, Simpsons at 7:30. A throwback prime-access lineup made even better.

I get the gist of what they're trying to say, basically trying to make Kelly Clarkson the program of choice at 3pm, once Ellen goes off the air.  Coupled with stations that either air news or Dr. Phil at 4, it's a time slot that seems safe enough not to be taken over en masse by newscasts at 4pm like when Oprah Winfrey ended her show.

Here in Mobile-Pensacola, Kelly Clarkson was on at 4pm on WKRG in 2019, but moved over to sister station WFNA at the same time for this season to make room for WKRG's new 4pm newscast.  Ellen got bumped to 3pm in 2007 on WEAR when they started a 4pm show. Biloxi already has Kelly Clarkson at 3pm on WLOX (ABC).

The question is, would Sinclair take over Kelly Clarkson if WKRG is unwilling to move their hour of Big Bang Theory at 3pm over to WFNA once and for all?  Andy Griffith ended  several years back (even on WFNA), so anything is possible.

2 hours ago, danderson500 said:

I wonder where WYFF will place her now. Swap her and Days of Our Lives?

I doubt they will move Days of Our Lives. Will be interesting to see what they put at 2 because despite not being an O&O Kelly will probably move to 3. They could move Dr. Oz there and expand their midday news. They delay an hour of Today to late night but I don’t see them moving that to in pattern.

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

I doubt they will move Days of Our Lives. Will be interesting to see what they put at 2 because despite not being an O&O Kelly will probably move to 3. They could move Dr. Oz there and expand their midday news. They delay an hour of Today to late night but I don’t see them moving that to in pattern.

Yeah, i doubt they'd do that. Days has aired at 1pm since 1979, why change now?

Archived