2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

I bet once Ellen ends Wood TV will put news at 4PM the only one that does news at 4PM is WXMI Fox17. Once Dr. Phil ends WWMT has a 4PM newscast as well I wonder if WZZM will air a 4PM newscast come the fall when Judge Judy ends her run this year or if they will keep the repeats going.

I'm surprised that The Doctors hasn't gotten canceled yet that show has 9 lives I tell you must still be making money for ViacomCBS still?

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New WJZY schedule starts today with the debut of the noon and 4pm newscasts. Dr. Oz stays at 1pm but slides over to WMYT, replacing Dateline. That’s their only change. Kelly Clarkson and The Real cut to one run between the stations, at 3 and 4. 

A33554B3-3435-4DAB-8D8F-E5BB7C581B83.png

WJZY needs to move 25 Words or Less, Dateline, Judge Mathis, and People's Court to WMYT, and keep Kelly, Dr. Oz, and The Real. These programming decisions by Nexstar hired management are just plain DUMB, amateur, and symptomic of the small market mentality of Nexstar. Major market Fox stations doesn't air those programs at all. Small and medium markets Fox stations, yes, CW affiliates, yes,  My Network TV affiliates, yes, independent  stations, yes, but major market Fox stations, uh no.  

I knew they're not playing with the full deck when I saw both WJZY & WMYT have 4 hours of paid programming on the overnights of both stations every night even under FTS. Let's not forget how they didn't even try to obtain Wendy Williams from WSOC, another amateur and dumb move.

5 hours ago, jero23 said:

WJZY needs to move 25 Words or Less, Dateline, Judge Mathis, and People's Court to WMYT, and keep Kelly, Dr. Oz, and The Real. These programming decisions by Nexstar hired management is just plain DUMB, amateur, and symptomic of the small market mentality of Nexstar. Major market Fox stations doesn't air those programs at all. Small and medium markets Fox stations, yes, CW affiliates, yes,  My Network TV affiliates, yes, independent  stations, yes, but major market Fox stations, uh no.  

I knew they're not playing with the full deck when I saw both WJZY & WMYT have 4 hours of paid programming on the overnights of both stations every night even under FTS. Let's not forget how they didn't even try to obtain Wendy Williams from WSOC, another amateur and dumb move.

That’s what I was thinking...they should’ve cut People’s Court and Judge Mathis to one run on WMYT, not Kelly Clarkson and the Real. There was no need to change anything in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh. Half a dozen Tegna stations messed up Thursday's broadcast of Wheel of Fortune: WTHR, WCNC, WBNS, KSDK, KHOU, KFSM. All of them cut to a break in the middle of Round 1, then when it came back for Round 2, it was Wednesday's episode for the rest of the show.

How does an error like that happen, let alone on multiple stations? Aren't full episodes sent to stations individually as one file, not as each segment/act? I've seen occasions where a station will accidentally play the wrong full episode of a show likely due to simply cueing the wrong master, but how does a station accidentally play a segment of one episode, then the rest of a different episode?

3 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Huh. Half a dozen Tegna stations messed up Thursday's broadcast of Wheel of Fortune: WTHR, WCNC, WBNS, KSDK, KHOU, KFSM. All of them cut to a break in the middle of Round 1, then when it came back for Round 2, it was Wednesday's episode for the rest of the show.

How does an error like that happen, let alone on multiple stations? Aren't full episodes sent to stations individually as one file, not as each segment/act? I've seen occasions where a station will accidentally play the wrong full episode of a show likely due to simply cueing the wrong master, but how does a station accidentally play a segment of one episode, then the rest of a different episode?

Someone was asleep at the wheel 🤣😂🤦‍♂️

On 2/11/2021 at 8:25 PM, WheelWarrior said:

On 2/11/2021 at 11:28 PM, Yankees4life said:

Someone was asleep at the wheel 🤣😂🤦‍♂️

If this error was on multiple stations, then the error most likely came from a hubbed, or centralized, master control (not sure where master control would be hubbed, in this case). I’m not sure how “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy” are sent, TBH; I know “Family Feud”’s episodes are sent in segments (e.g., gameplay, commercial breaks, bumpers, are all sent in segments). During my days of working master control, I remember one episode of “Family Feud” where instead of Fast Money, what viewers saw was Round 2 & Round 3 of the same episode (it was thanks to a misnumbered segment on the computerized playlist which I somehow missed), but thankfully, no one complained, as far as I know....

Also, there was an instance when “Celebrity Name Game” was on the air, where when it came time for the episode to air, the screen went black and the picture went fuzzy, and I literally had to scramble to get an infomercial on the air to fill time! For what it’s worth, it turns out that episode’s segments were sent in HD only, whereas the station that aired “Celebrity Name Game” was SD (this was in 2014-15)!! 

7 hours ago, J1975am said:

If this error was on multiple stations, then the error most likely came from a hubbed, or centralized, master control (not sure where master control would be hubbed, in this case). I’m not sure how “Wheel of Fortune” and “Jeopardy” are sent, TBH; I know “Family Feud”’s episodes are sent in segments (e.g., gameplay, commercial breaks, bumpers, are all sent in segments). During my days of working master control, I remember one episode of “Family Feud” where instead of Fast Money, what viewers saw was Round 2 & Round 3 of the same episode (it was thanks to a misnumbered segment on the computerized playlist which I somehow missed), but thankfully, no one complained, as far as I know....

Also, there was an instance when “Celebrity Name Game” was on the air, where when it came time for the episode to air, the screen went black and the picture went fuzzy, and I literally had to scramble to get an infomercial on the air to fill time! For what it’s worth, it turns out that episode’s segments were sent in HD only, whereas the station that aired “Celebrity Name Game” was SD (this was in 2014-15)!! 

Love stories like this! I once read an account of someone working at a Jeopardy! affiliate where the screen went black right before Final Jeopardy! on the day Ken Jennings was defeated. Phones rang off the hook, the station had to issue an apology, and they had to schedule a re-airing of the episode.

WTHR airs Wheel at 7:00, while the other stations that messed it up air it at 7:30, so it wasn't simultaneous; it had to be a problem with the master for those stations. Wheel and Jeopardy! are sent as single .mxf files. Contestants can also request master copies, which are given on standard DVD's (so they're 480p and letterboxed if they're from the HD era), and the commercial breaks are just two minutes of a silent black screen. When Wheel had its first million dollar winner, WABC uploaded the full episode on their website, but each segment was its own video.

Last month, WOIO in Cleveland forgot to cut off the slate one day for Wheel. Here's what it currently looks like:

image0.jpg

And here's one for Jeopardy!

HOYUxfyl.jpg

It appears that WPVI in Philadelphia has begun airing Jeopardy! reruns Sunday afternoons at 1:30 PM. I'm not sure when they started doing this or how long it will last, but I just noticed it today on my guide. The Jeopardy! website doesn't mention anything about a Sunday airing. According to TV Passport, it will also air at that time for at least the next two weekends.

To my knowledge, this is the first time that WPVI has aired Jeopardy! on the weekends, as they do not air Jeopardy! on Saturdays, usually airing their local FYI Philly newsmagazine instead. Around 2014-2015, when WPVI changed their daytime schedule (namely expanding Action News at Noon to an hour), they had an airing of Daytime Jeopardy! at 2:00 PM, however they dropped it in 2015 in favor of FABLife.

1 hour ago, ddaniels20 said:

It appears that WPVI in Philadelphia has begun airing Jeopardy! reruns Sunday afternoons at 1:30 PM. I'm not sure when they started doing this of how long it will last, but I just noticed it today on my guide. The Jeopardy! website doesn't mention anything about a Sunday airing. According to TV Passport, it will also air at that time for at least the next two weekends.

To my knowledge, this is the first time that WPVI has aired Jeopardy! on the weekends, as they do not air Jeopardy! on Saturdays, usually airing their local FYI Philly newsmagazine instead. Around 2014-2015, when WPVI changed their daytime schedule (namely expanding Action News at News to an hour), they had a airing of Daytime Jeopardy! at 2:00 PM, however they dropped it in 2015 in favor of FABLife.

The only time they ever aired Jeopardy! on weekends were in some cases of Friday episodes being pre-empted and delayed to Saturday rather than bumped to 6.2 or overnight. This happened with the NFL Draft last year; Friday's episodes of Jeopardy! and Wheel were moved to Saturday night at 7:00 and 7:30, though J! was JIP'd halfway through because the Draft ran long since it was virtual.

They also aired the 12/25/20 airing of J! (originally slated to be Trebek's final episode, but later changed to a rerun) on Saturday 12/26/20 at 7:30 PM, replacing Wheel, due to the NBA Christmas pre-emption. The 12/25 ep of Wheel aired on its rightful day on 6.2. That seemed odd that J! got the better slot, although it did have the risk of getting JIP'd since it was after CFB. Maybe that was decided before they knew it got swapped out with a rerun?

I'm surprised WPVI hasn't carried J! Weekend until now, given that they always give it priority over Wheel on weekdays and often promote it more, too. WPVI pre-empts Wheel on weekdays a lot more often than J!; there are the periodic "Philadelphia: The Great Experiment" specials that air a few times a year, always in Wheel's slot (though it looks like they now air it on Saturdays if anything), and they also air "Auto Experience" specials in August or September at 7:30. A few years ago, WABC and WPVI ran a promotional campaign on "your winning lineup": Eyewitness News at 6:00, World News Tonight at 6:30, and Jeopardy! at 7:00. There was zero mention of Wheel of Fortune in these promos, and some Wheel fans were not pleased at it being left out.

I'm curious if J! Weekend will stay year-round. Wheel Weekend doesn't air at all during College Football season, even though WABC moves them to early Saturday mornings, and WTNH over in CT airs them Sunday afternoons at 1:00 and 1:30 PM until they can move back to Saturdays at 7:00. I believe during CFB season, FYI Philly moves to the Sunday afternoon slot. If it doesn't, I hope next year, they let Wheel air on Sunday afternoons with J!, since they've never aired the weekend run outside of the 7:30 slot unlike other ABC affiliates.

WABC didn't start carrying Wheel or J!'s weekend runs until about 1999. I vividly remember how excited I was when I witnessed them on a Saturday for the first time, especially because we didn't have Game Show Network back then.

WDIV in Detroit currently does not carry J! Weekend, though I believe they did until the end of the 2018-19 season. I do know that during the 2018 Winter Olympics, J! would move to 7:00 on weekdays and Wheel would get bumped to the ThisTV sub, but Wheel would air on the main station at 7:00 on Saturdays. As of this season, Wheel airs at 7:00 M-F and 7:30 on Saturdays; infomercials air at 7:00 on Saturdays and J! does not air on weekends. Like with WPVI, it's surprising given that WDIV pre-empts Wheel a lot more often than they do J!. I guess Wheel still beats J! in ratings on weekends.

https://www.nexttv.com/features/court-conflict-find-new-fortunes-in-streaming-era

this article details about court + conflict shows creating new avenues in streaming but tis particular paragraph highlights vacant spaces opening up for some stations heading to next fall: 

"Judge Judy isn’t the only court show to be exiting. Several low-rated and less-
well-cleared court shows wrapped in the past year.
Debmar-Mercury’s Caught in Providence, starring 84-year-old Municipal Court Judge Frank Caprio, is no longer airing on TV stations. MGM/Orion TV has departed the entire genre, with Lauren Lake’s Paternity Court, Couples Court with the Cutlers and Personal Injury Court all no longer in production, although Paternity Court is still available as a podcast and on YouTube, where the show’s channel has 1.8 million subscribers. Trifecta’s Protection Court also has ceased production and is airing in only repeats."

Don't worry about the high school productions that are Byron Allen's Court shows. They've all been renewed + returning for years to come. 

22 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/court-conflict-find-new-fortunes-in-streaming-era

this article details about court + conflict shows creating new avenues in streaming but tis particular paragraph highlights vacant spaces opening up for some stations heading to next fall: 

"Judge Judy isn’t the only court show to be exiting. Several low-rated and less-
well-cleared court shows wrapped in the past year.
Debmar-Mercury’s Caught in Providence, starring 84-year-old Municipal Court Judge Frank Caprio, is no longer airing on TV stations. MGM/Orion TV has departed the entire genre, with Lauren Lake’s Paternity Court, Couples Court with the Cutlers and Personal Injury Court all no longer in production, although Paternity Court is still available as a podcast and on YouTube, where the show’s channel has 1.8 million subscribers. Trifecta’s Protection Court also has ceased production and is airing in only repeats."

Don't worry about the high school productions that are Byron Allen's Court shows. They've all been renewed + returning for years to come. 

WUPW still airs all 3 MGM/Orion shows in repeats, in early and late morning hours.

Outside of Byron Allen's shows, we'll be down to Hot Bench, the People's Court, Judge Mathis, and Divorce Court by September for the new season. There seemed to be quite a few more court shows in the 2000's compared to today.

Does anyone get weekly news syndie "Daily Flash"? A friend overseas who has an interest in American syndication asked me to record an episode for him. It's listed on WLNY Saturday mornings at 5:30 AM. However, every week I try to record it, it's a random infomercial instead. This is odd since they're listed as new episodes on both my TV provider and even the schedule on WCBS' site.

Nope I don't see Daily Flash in the West Michigan TV market. I see that WWMT for a couple of weeks have out Wheel at 1:30AM late Sat/early Sun which has always been on at 7PM on Sat with J staying at 7:30PM putting paid programming at 7PM.

23 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Nope I don't see Daily Flash in the West Michigan TV market. I see that WWMT for a couple of weeks have out Wheel at 1:30AM late Sat/early Sun which has always been on at 7PM on Sat with J staying at 7:30PM putting paid programming at 7PM.

I've noticed come March that a lot of stations will temporarily pre-empt WOF Weekend with infomercials but leave J! Weekend alone for some reason. WHP Harrisburg does that a lot as well, with WOF moving to either late night, or 12 PM Saturday, though it looks like it's still at 7:00 so far this year. WCCO and KTVT, both O&O's, frequently pre-empt WOFW with PP as well; KTVT usually moves it to KTXA, and WCCO bumps it either to 3:30 AM Sunday or doesn't air it at all. WBBH in Fort Myers sometimes pre-empts WOFW with Time Life infomercials and always leave J!W alone. WWMT has Wheel back at 7:00 next Saturday for now.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:39 AM, Megatron81 said:

I bet once Ellen ends Wood TV will put news at 4PM the only one that does news at 4PM is WXMI Fox17. Once Dr. Phil ends WWMT has a 4PM newscast as well I wonder if WZZM will air a 4PM newscast come the fall when Judge Judy ends her run this year or if they will keep the repeats going.

I'm surprised that The Doctors hasn't gotten canceled yet that show has 9 lives I tell you must still be making money for ViacomCBS still?

They got a new host and usually when a new host comes in. They need a boost in the ratings dept so I wouldn't be surprise if it did get the axe. [The Doctors}

The funny thing with The Doctors right now is that I saw some of last season's hosts appearing in an episode yesterday.  I didn't see the new host at all.  I thought Dr. Ian was replacing everyone, but apparently not.

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

The funny thing with The Doctors right now is that I saw some of last season's hosts appearing in an episode yesterday.  I didn't see the new host at all.  I thought Dr. Ian was replacing everyone, but apparently not.

You sure it wasn't a rerun from last season?

Archived