2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

11 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Wow. Well, it was a great run. Maury certainly had an audience (including me) for his form of entertainment throughout his show's run, and his years on air and success ranks well among the greats. I wish him very well.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WILX 10, Lansing, Michigan's NBC affiliate, debuted a new local show in October titled "Studio 10". This resulted in three talk syndies moving earlier, and two game show feeds getting bumped to late night. This was their afternoon lineup before...

12:00 PM - Daytime Jeopardy!

12:30 PM - 25 Words or Less (only run)

1:00 PM - Days of Our Lives

2:00 PM - Dr. Oz

3:00 PM - Rachael Ray

4:00 PM - Kelly Clarkson

And after...

12:00 PM - Dr. Oz

1:00 PM - Days of Our Lives

2:00 PM - Rachael Ray

3:00 PM - Kelly Clarkson

4:00 PM - Studio 10

3:00 AM - 25 Words or Less

3:30 AM - Daytime Jeopardy!

3:00 AM is also the go-to makegood time for when Wheel of Fortune and/or the main run of Jeopardy! gets pre-empted, in which case 25WOL does not air at all.

Not surprised that Maury is ending. The show was getting very stale anyway. I'm sure his show is one of those that makes people think, "That's still on?". I'm guessing Maury will retire completely from broadcasting as he's 82. People likely wouldn't know the difference between new and reruns since its been mostly the same thing for years now. 

On 1/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, WheelWarrior said:

Apparently Buffalo Kickoff Live airs in all the upstate NY markets that have a Nexstar affiliate. I knew it also aired on WETM Elmira, which usually pre-empted Jeopardy! while leaving Wheel intact, and it airs on WSYR Syracuse I believe, pre-empting ET. I just discovered that it also airs on WBGH in Binghamton, pre-empting one of two Modern Family's.

There was another edition of BKL last night, and it was optionally a full hour. Since it only airs in access, most of the stations only aired half an hour to avoid pre-empting Jeopardy!. WIVB was the only one to air the full hour, since they can simply move Wheel and J! to sister WNLO (CW). WROC kept J! on the schedule, as did WETM, by only airing BKL in Wheel's time slot this time. WBGH also only aired half an hour, although the portion they did air was opposite J! on sister WIVT (ABC).

Another episode of Buffalo Kickoff Live aired last night. I spoke to someone at WETM and he explained that, while the show is an hour in cases like this, they produce it in two self-contained half-hour segments. This is because the first half features NFL replay footage. WETM, WBGH, and WSYR cannot air that first half because of rights issues (I guess the footage is owned by CBS), so that's why they only air the second half. WIVB and WROC, both CBS affiliates, aired the full hour last night, pre-empting Wheel and Jeopardy! in both cases. At this rate, Wheel will have more pre-emptions resulting from the Bills than the Patriots.

And another Buffalo Kickoff Live is airing tonight, this time only half an hour for everyone. But WETM is airing it on their subchannel so that it doesn't pre-empt Jeopardy!

So if WETM has to air Buffalo Kickoff Live at 7:00, they move it to 18.2 so that Jeopardy! doesn't get pre-empted, but if it's at 7:30, they're okay with pre-empting Wheel of Fortune? Seems like a double standard to me. I can't imagine J! still getting that much higher ratings than Wheel now that Alex's episodes have finished. I know they did used to air the half-hour 7:00 BKL's in place of J!; I guess they got enough complaints from local J! fans to do something about it, but not enough from Wheel fans. Having an affiliate that carries both shows pre-empt J! more often than Wheel always seemed like it didn't sit well with Sony, anyway.

This now means Wheel of Fortune has been pre-empted in two upstate NY markets for two days in a row. At least WSYR also airs ET and Inside Edition earlier in the day, so those shows are not totally lost. Wheel really needs a second feed because they just get screwed by access specials so darn much.

20 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

And another Buffalo Kickoff Live is airing tonight, this time only half an hour for everyone. But WETM is airing it on their subchannel so that it doesn't pre-empt Jeopardy!

So if WETM has to air Buffalo Kickoff Live at 7:00, they move it to 18.2 so that Jeopardy! doesn't get pre-empted, but if it's at 7:30, they're okay with pre-empting Wheel of Fortune? Seems like a double standard to me. 

The one thing to consider with Jeopardy! is series continuity.  Whereas WoF has self-contained episodes, J! has a serial nature, in that you have contestants carrying over from episode to episode. 

Most other shows currently airing don’t have a returning champion...

J

On 11/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, WheelWarrior said:

KABC in Los Angeles used to produce a syndicated entertainment show called "On the Red Carpet". In most markets, especially on the ABC O&O's, it aired on weekend afternoons. It ended as a regular series a few years ago. However, special editions still air before award shows.

OTRC made a comeback these past two weeks as weekend filler for most of the ABC O&O's. Most listings titled it "On the Red Carpet FYC". I have no idea what FYC stands for; I watched a few minutes of it tonight, and it's formatted just like the original syndie series, just with more Zooming. It aired both this weekend and last, but I see no listings for next weekend. Time slotting is as follows:

KABC Los Angeles: 6:30 PM PT Sat

KGO San Francisco: 3:30 PM PT Sun

KFSN Fresno: 6:30 PM PT Sun

WLS Chicago: 4:30 PM CT Sun

KTRK Houston: 4:30 PM CT Sun

WPVI Philadelphia: 1:00 PM ET Sat & 1:30 PM CT Sun

WTVD Raleigh: Not carried

WABC New York: 7:00 PM ET Sat (Jeopardy! Weekend moves to Saturday or Sunday afternoon)

28 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

OTRC made a comeback these past two weeks as weekend filler for most of the ABC O&O's. Most listings titled it "On the Red Carpet FYC". I have no idea what FYC stands for; I watched a few minutes of it tonight, and it's formatted just like the original syndie series, just with more Zooming. It aired both this weekend and last, but I see no listings for next weekend. Time slotting is as follows:

FYC=for your consideration, which is the phrase producers use when they submit movies/TV shows/albums/whatever for awards like Oscars or Emmys. So I imagine that special was probably about movies/actors that are expected to be Oscar nominees.

The List is now on WXMI Fox17 Sundays at 11:30AM I watched last weekend it was just alright nothing that I would watch every week thou. When no pregame for Fox Sports is on next fall will move since Fox17 airs Lions Gameday Live Sundays at 11AM when the Lions are playing in season or when they don't play on Sundays they air Fox NFL Kickoff at 11AM. Right This Minute also airs weekend afternoons now before or after sports.

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/25/kelly-clarksons-talk-show-could-take-ellen-degeneres-spot/

I’ve always believed that NBC saw Kelly as a potential replacement for Ellen when she leaves so this makes sense. However, Telepictures wants to keep the 3 P.M. slot on NBC O&O’s and is pushing to get another host. I know James Corden was rumored but I’ve heard he is keen to move back to the UK in a few years due to homesickness.

22 minutes ago, G2000 said:

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/25/kelly-clarksons-talk-show-could-take-ellen-degeneres-spot/

I’ve always believed that NBC saw Kelly as a potential replacement for Ellen when she leaves so this makes sense. However, Telepictures wants to keep the 3 P.M. slot on NBC O&O’s and is pushing to get another host. I know James Cordon was rumored but I’ve heard he is keen to move back to the UK in a few years due to homesickness.

You misspelled James's last name, it's Corden. And second, Janes is currently hosting The Late Late Show on CBS.

Kelly can easily slide into Ellen's timeslots, that seems like the easiest thing to do for NBC O&O's. As for Telepictures, I don't think they've announced anything in the pipeline for development, which is odd since they always had something in the cards; they were actually developing a talker with Drew Barrymore at one time.  I do wonder if they started brainstorming ideas since the Ellen controversy exploded, WB always had something on NBC daytime ever since the Rosie O'Donnell days. 

Thanks! I fixed it. Of course I am aware of his hosting duties over at CBS and watch it regularly but someone posted here that he was being persuaded possibly for when his contract was up. I think he would be great and better suited for daytime.

On the contrary, I think there's no love lost between the American market and James Corden. It's not that I have specific proof but that I've witnessed a simmering sentiment that he has not shown himself well while he's been here in Hollywood and the many roles he's been in have been panned quite severely in more ways than one. Of course, his show is entertaining enough and makes for palatable-enough daytime fodder but I'm personally still unconvinced. Then again, these are money-hunting companies we're talking about, so given that James seems to weather every flop relatively well, I guess he's still a compelling candidate.

As for Kelly replacing Ellen, ever since her show proved itself, I knew this was a very likely possibility. And it turns out Ellen's workplace allegations really exploded at just the right time to really boost this narrative. And add to the fact that Ellen herself has gradually revealed how unsatisfying her hosting gig is nowadays, it seems like a seamless transition. Lastly, I'm probably alone here but I really don't want another talk show. It makes sense for NBC to pursue one since there would now be a gap, assuming Ellen exits, but there just has to be something else, right? Right?? Have we not been saturated yet??? Also, can the bosses at KNTV just figure out if they want a 4PM news already? 

(Very hot take: Move Jimmy Fallon into daytime for a variety-style show that he seems to have always wanted and plays to his skillsets. Then move Seth up and so on.)

1 hour ago, tvtime07 said:

Kelly can easily slide into Ellen's timeslots, that seems like the easiest thing to do for NBC O&O's. As for Telepictures, I don't think they've announced anything in the pipeline for development, which is odd since they always had something in the cards; they were actually developing a talker with Drew Barrymore at one time.  I do wonder if they started brainstorming ideas since the Ellen controversy exploded, WB always had something on NBC daytime ever since the Rosie O'Donnell days. 

I thought Rosie O'Donnell was on the ABC stations?

45 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

WABC & WPVI were the two ABC O&Os that carried it.

But KNBC & WMAQ (both NBC O&Os) also carried the program as well........

I grew up in SoCal, so my mind immediately thought Rosie was carried on all NBC O&Os. Didn't realize that this wasn't the case. Living In San Diego, I remembered seeing a billboard for KNSD's daytime lineup, which was Roseanne Barr's short-lived talkshow followed by Rosie O'Donnell's program under the moniker "Roses Delivered Daily" campaign.  

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

On the contrary, I think there's no love lost between the American market and James Corden. It's not that I have specific proof but that I've witnessed a simmering sentiment that he has not shown himself well while he's been here in Hollywood and the many roles he's been in have been panned quite severely in more ways than one. Of course, his show is entertaining enough and makes for palatable-enough daytime fodder but I'm personally still unconvinced. Then again, these are money-hunting companies we're talking about, so given that James seems to weather every flop relatively well, I guess he's still a compelling candidate.

As for Kelly replacing Ellen, ever since her show proved itself, I knew this was a very likely possibility. And it turns out Ellen's workplace allegations really exploded at just the right time to really boost this narrative. And add to the fact that Ellen herself has gradually revealed how unsatisfying her hosting gig is nowadays, it seems like a seamless transition. Lastly, I'm probably alone here but I really don't want another talk show. It makes sense for NBC to pursue one since there would now be a gap, assuming Ellen exits, but there just has to be something else, right? Right?? Have we not been saturated yet??? Also, can the bosses at KNTV just figure out if they want a 4PM news already? 

(Very hot take: Move Jimmy Fallon into daytime for a variety-style show that he seems to have always wanted and plays to his skillsets. Then move Seth up and so on.)

Yeah, I feel like Corden is just an acquired taste, I like how different his format is. He definitely does well with social media, but it has to be difficult juggling both a daytime talkshow and film career.  Being in Cats didn't help matters. He is certainly entertaining. There's a reason why Whoopi Goldberg, hasn't done much film these days, she's getting paid good money hosting the top daytime talkshow.  

This is pretty much Kelly's time to shine and she has proven to be a natural host. She does bring the right amount of energy and authenticity to her program and I am happy to see her success.  

What else would NBC put in place? Court show, daytime dating show, game show? Another hour of the Today show? haha

Jimmy Fallon would be a nice alternative in the daytime, but I'm very skeptical that Seth would be right for the Tonight Show. 

Who would I like to see on daytime? Cristela Alonzo or Jeff Dye. 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, WheelWarrior said:

This is pretty fitting considering WDAF airs Wheel of Fortune (at 6:30 of course).

If they do double run J!, or at least carry Daytime J! in some form, I hope that they use the slot for Daytime J! to make-good Wheel of Fortune since it gets pre-empted by Thursday Night Football and World Series, but I doubt it.

WDAF is pre-empting Wheel for Chiefs specials from Fri 1/29 to Fri 2/5. Six first-run episodes in a row (and WOF Weekend due to FOX PBC) are airing in late night: 11:00 PM on 1/29, 12:30 AM for the other weekdays. It is the only show affected by these specials.

Hardly seems fair to be pre-empting what is probably their most popular syndie for over an entire week (yes, J! is beating Wheel nationally, but I doubt it beats it in markets that air it in daytime, especially post-Trebek). If Wheel kept tabs on all of their affiliates' programming decisions like Jeopardy! does (they have a national pre-emption schedule on their official website; Wheel does not, despite being a far more common target for pre-emptions), I would think they would have something to say about that.

This is why Wheel needs to let their affiliates air them in daytime slots at least on a temporary basis. It would make much more sense to have Wheel replace Daytime Jeopardy! or one of their other morning or afternoon syndies, even if they have to air it a day behind (KHQ in Spokane often does this with both Jeopardy! and Wheel due to their agreement to carry Gonzaga University basketball games). I have seen multiple instances this season of stations planning to air Wheel in a daytime slot for a day, only to scrap it due to CBSMV catching wind of it and refusing to allow it. Some get away with it, though. The other day, KAUZ in Wichita Falls, TX aired Wheel at 4:30 PM replacing half of their J! double run due to a chocolatiers' contest at 6:00.

At least Tampa is only airing one Buccaneers special on WTSP on 2/6.

Archived