2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

1 hour ago, WheelWarrior said:

Also noticed tonight that WVIR in Charlottesville, VA aired Wednesday's Wheel instead of the rerun; not sure how or if they made up J! since NFL pregame pre-empts it tonight.

Typical Saturday for both Sony game shows (they usually rerun on weekends) so it will not be as big of a factor as it would be on a typical weeknight.

For those who are preempting the weekend reruns of the Sony Game Shows its either they probably have shifted to overnight tonight, tomorrow sometime or they just flat out won't air the repeats at all.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dman748 said:

Typical Saturday for both Sony game shows (they usually rerun on weekends) so it will not be as big of a factor as it would be on a typical weeknight.

For those who are preempting the weekend reruns of the Sony Game Shows its either they probably have shifted to overnight tonight, tomorrow sometime or they just flat out won't air the repeats at all.

Football Night in America preempted weekend Wheel in Charlotte tonight.

Just now, Nelson R. said:

Football Night in America preempted weekend Wheel in Charlotte tonight.

Which given that it's the weekend edition. I don't think its not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. (Same with Jeopardy!)

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

Depends on the station. Many don't bother. Jeopardy! Weekend often airs at random times in the CT and MT markets that air the weekday run in daytime. Not many markets air Wheel Weekend outside of the same time slot it airs Mon-Fri. One of the few exceptions to this is KTUL in Tulsa, which airs Wheel Weekend Sunday mornings at 10:00 AM Central, instead of the typical Saturday at 6:30 PM. WCBD in Charleston, SC, being one of the few local stations that airs local newscasts on Saturday at 7:00 Eastern, airs Wheel Weekend Sunday nights/Monday mornings at midnight due to said newscasts.

Going back to local football shows, WPXI in Pittsburgh airs "The Jerome Bettis Show" on Saturdays at 7:30, and it's still going on for now. Sometimes after it finishes, it gets replaced with "11 on the Ice". Whenever either airs, Wheel Weekend moves to the earliest time possible: 4:00 AM Saturday morning.

There actually is one known time where Wheel aired a first-run ep on Saturday: November 12, 2016, following that big Election Day. Because the Election Day episode that year had a notable winner, they decided at the last minute to move the Saturday rerun up to Election Day and slide Tue-Fri to Wed-Sat. This unfortunately meant that a lot of stations, especially ABC's, either did not air the Saturday episode because of College Football either pre-empting its slot outright, or because many of them scheduled it immediately after the game or local news, and that game ran at least 30 minutes over, so none of it aired in these cases. WABC and others were forced to run local news all the way to 8:00. Despite all this, Jeopardy! did not do a "slide" that year, although they did do so for Election Week 2004 because it conflicted with Ken Jennings' run. Neither show nationally had a slide in 2020, but Wheel did reschedule the Tuesday show to Monday because it was the only episode that week with a Bonus Round win.

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

Which given that it's the weekend edition. I don't think its not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. (Same with Jeopardy!)

True, but sometimes stations will use the Saturday slot to make up pre-empted weekday episodes. When NBC had Thursday Night Football, Thursday Wheels would get pre-empted on WCNC, so they would air Friday night, the Friday episodes would air Saturday night, and the Saturday rerun would air sometime after midnight. WCNC never made up Wednesday's Wheel after the Capitol chaos, so that could have been an opportunity for it, but I doubt they would have done it. Earlier this season, WBBH pre-empted Wheel with a 7:00 newscast following a daytime sporting event (I think the US Open?) and could not slide the rest of the week like they normally would because nearly all of Saturday was pre-empted by other sports.

WABC used to never make up J! or Wheel when pre-empted on weekends, but now they always do, usually moving them to early Saturday or Sunday mornings, or on rarer occasions, Sunday afternoons.

12 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

Depends on the station. Many don't bother. Jeopardy! Weekend often airs at random times in the CT and MT markets that air the weekday run in daytime. Not many markets air Wheel Weekend outside of the same time slot it airs Mon-Fri. One of the few exceptions to this is KTUL in Tulsa, which airs Wheel Weekend Sunday mornings at 10:00 AM Central, instead of the typical Saturday at 6:30 PM. WCBD in Charleston, SC, being one of the few local stations that airs local newscasts on Saturday at 7:00 Eastern, airs Wheel Weekend Sunday nights/Monday mornings at midnight due to said newscasts.

Going back to local football shows, WPXI in Pittsburgh airs "The Jerome Bettis Show" on Saturdays at 7:30, and it's still going on for now. Sometimes after it finishes, it gets replaced with "11 on the Ice". Whenever either airs, Wheel Weekend moves to the earliest time possible: 4:00 AM Saturday morning.

There actually is one known time where Wheel aired a first-run ep on Saturday: November 12, 2016, following that big Election Day. Because the Election Day episode that year had a notable winner, they decided at the last minute to move the Saturday rerun up to Election Day and slide Tue-Fri to Wed-Sat. This unfortunately meant that a lot of stations, especially ABC's, either did not air the Saturday episode because of College Football either pre-empting its slot outright, or because many of them scheduled it immediately after the game or local news, and that game ran at least 30 minutes over, so none of it aired in these cases. WABC and others were forced to run local news all the way to 8:00. Despite all this, Jeopardy! did not do a "slide" that year, although they did do so for Election Week 2004 because it conflicted with Ken Jennings' run. Neither show nationally had a slide in 2020, but Wheel did reschedule the Tuesday show to Monday because it was the only episode that week with a Bonus Round win.

True, but sometimes stations will use the Saturday slot to make up pre-empted weekday episodes. When NBC had Thursday Night Football, Thursday Wheels would get pre-empted on WCNC, so they would air Friday night, the Friday episodes would air Saturday night, and the Saturday rerun would air sometime after midnight. WCNC never made up Wednesday's Wheel after the Capitol chaos, so that could have been an opportunity for it, but I doubt they would have done it. Earlier this season, WBBH pre-empted Wheel with a 7:00 newscast following a daytime sporting event (I think the US Open?) and could not slide the rest of the week like they normally would because nearly all of Saturday was pre-empted by other sports.

WABC used to never make up J! or Wheel when pre-empted on weekends, but now they always do, usually moving them to early Saturday or Sunday mornings, or on rarer occasions, Sunday afternoons.

That’s what I was just thinking, WCNC should’ve aired Wednesday’s Wheel tonight at 7.

This is all why, if you are a Jeopardy! fan, it pays to live in Dallas/Ft. Worth: J! airs at 6pm on KTXA (Independent) - although they’re partnered with KTVT/CBS11 - I haven’t seen any pre-emptions of Jeopardy! - my parents live  there and definitely would not be happy we’re it preempted:

5pm News 8 (WFAA)

5:30pm World News Tonight (WFAA)

6pm Jeopardy! (KTXA)

6:30pm Wheel of Fortune (KTVT)

(and the last 3 are automatically recorded in case they’re not home...)

Jim

11 hours ago, compubit said:

This is all why, if you are a Jeopardy! fan, it pays to live in Dallas/Ft. Worth: J! airs at 6pm on KTXA (Independent) - although they’re partnered with KTVT/CBS11 - I haven’t seen any pre-emptions of Jeopardy! - my parents live  there and definitely would not be happy we’re it preempted:

5pm News 8 (WFAA)

5:30pm World News Tonight (WFAA)

6pm Jeopardy! (KTXA)

6:30pm Wheel of Fortune (KTVT)

(and the last 3 are automatically recorded in case they’re not home...)

Jim

And Wheel almost-always moves to KTXA if it's pre-empted, even if it's last-minute, right between two Jeopardy!'s. It aired there on Wednesday. Most of the Saturday reruns air on KTXA as well since KTVT often airs infomercials at 6:30 instead. One of the only times Wheel didn't move was when there was severe weather one time last season and coverage was simulcast on KTXA for 6:30. 7:00 onwards had CBS primetime programming simulcast on KTXA until the coverage ended.

Also, the other day when Biden spoke for much of the 6:30 time slot, pre-empting Wheel on most of the East Coast, KTVT had that day's Wheel re-air on KTXA an hour later at 7:30, replacing the syndie Millionaire reruns.

WWMT didn't air Wheel & J at 7PM Wheel & J at 7:30PM on Wed kept the CBS News coverage on, WOTV aired Family Feud for the full hour at 7PM to 8PM, WZZM kept ET on at 7PM I don't know if DBL was at 7:30PM may have been a repeat. Which DBL should be on in the afternoons just my opinion. Wood TV kept NBC coverage which they put the newscast on WOTV in 5PM hour no Black-ish or Access Hollywood at 5PM or 5:30PM. Fox17 kept the Fox News coverage at 7PM.

Touching tribute to Alex final show on Fridays J which I don't ever really watch and I got some of the questions right this week which I hardly ever do other than sports or pop culture.

CW7 some changes The Doctors will move to 5AM next Monday to make room for The National Desk from 6AM to 9AM daily.   

On 1/6/2021 at 4:04 AM, dman748 said:

So a ton of changes are coming to OKC TV:

First of all as I posted over in Out & About, KWTV is launching a 9am newscast (more details on that over in Out & About)

Beyond that here's the whole slate of changes coming to OKC Television:

First off, the Jeopardy! repeats will join the new Jeopardy! episodes beginning at 3pm on KFOR (Daytime Jeopardy! replaces Inside Edition at 3pm which is moving to sister station KAUT at 9:30pm)

Slight correction regarding Daytime J! & Inside Edition changing each others time slots I was just turning over to Hulu Live to see if the newer episodes of Jeopardy! would come on at it's usual 3:30 slot but I was wrong.

The newer episodes of J! (with guest hosts) now comes on at 3pm and the episodes with Alex now comes on at 3:30pm on KFOR.

Also the changes at KFOR took effect a week sooner than anticipated. It was set to take place next Monay but it occured today.

Syndie changes to come at WJZY and maybe WMYT as WJZY is launching a noon and 4pm news “in a couple weeks” https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJ5y5KvJNmm/?igshid=1xblzpryufgb1

It is not known how long the newscasts will last but I’d be very surprised if the 4pm news wasn’t an hour. The noon news could be only 30 minutes but I think it will probably be an hour too. I imagine this is probably why they swapped 25 Words or Less and Dr. Oz back in the fall. I think 25 Words or Less will probably be WMYT bound. Maybe TMZ Live as well. 

14 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

I have a question about Hot Bench, why was Rino Romano replaced by  Christopher Thomas as its announcer? Thomas, IMO, stinks as the announcer.

Thomas is an absolute bore. He sounds like he didn't want to announce the intro. Romano was much better.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, WheelWarrior said:

And unsurprisingly, given how much they hate Wheel in general, WBZ Boston (CBS O&O) opted not to air it, nor make it up, but they moved Jeopardy! to WSBK, which they normally only do if a tournament episode is pre-empted (but Alex's final episodes are more important). Still, no reason not to move Wheel there too.

They finally did it. Yesterday, WBZ was quick to learn that Biden was planning on giving an address sometime in the prime access hour, so they programmed both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! (the latter of which had a Boston-based contestant) to air on both WBZ and WSBK, instead of only Jeopardy!. Indeed, Wheel got cut off during Round 4 while Jeopardy! was joined in progress during Double Jeopardy!; CBS carried Biden's speech while ABC, NBC, and FOX did not. Hopefully, WSBK will be used as a backup for both shows more often. As far as I know, this is the first time Wheel aired on WSBK since the end of the 2008-09 season before moving to WBZ and before it became a My affiliate.

Despite WBZ being quicker on the draw than usual this time, KTVT Dallas did not program Wheel for a simulcast or later re-airing on KTXA like they did the last time Biden spoke at 7:30 ET, although if they did what they did last time and re-aired Wheel at 7:30 CT, that would have conflicted with Celebrity WOF on WFAA.

28 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

They finally did it. Yesterday, WBZ was quick to learn that Biden was planning on giving an address sometime in the prime access hour, so they programmed both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! (the latter of which had a Boston-based contestant) to air on both WBZ and WSBK, instead of only Jeopardy!. Indeed, Wheel got cut off during Round 4 while Jeopardy! was joined in progress during Double Jeopardy!; CBS carried Biden's speech while ABC, NBC, and FOX did not. Hopefully, WSBK will be used as a backup for both shows more often. As far as I know, this is the first time Wheel aired on WSBK since the end of the 2008-09 season before moving to WBZ and before it became a My affiliate.

Despite WBZ being quicker on the draw than usual this time, KTVT Dallas did not program Wheel for a simulcast or later re-airing on KTXA like they did the last time Biden spoke at 7:30 ET, although if they did what they did last time and re-aired Wheel at 7:30 CT, that would have conflicted with Celebrity WOF on WFAA.

Did KTVT shifted the syndicated Wheel episode to overnight or did it not air at all?

4 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Did KTVT shifted the syndicated Wheel episode to overnight or did it not air at all?

They probably just didn't air it at all. The only reason I know that they re-aired that one episode on KTXA at 7:30 was because they put an announcement about it on their Twitter. During the day of the Capitol riots, it did move to KTXA and they also mentioned it on Twitter and at the top of their special local 6:30 broadcast.

24 minutes ago, dman748 said:

20 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

They probably just didn't air it at all. The only reason I know that they re-aired that one episode on KTXA at 7:30 was because they put an announcement about it on their Twitter. During the day of the Capitol riots, it did move to KTXA and they also mentioned it on Twitter and at the top of their special local 6:30 broadcast.

KTVT did join Wheel in progress at 6:47 after the CBS SR ended. KTXA just reaired KTVT's 6pm, as they usually do at 6:30.

If there is still a lack of syndicated product for the 2021-22 season, could Sony consider adding daytime repeats of Wheel of Fortune like they do with Jeopardy!?  Given that Celebrity Wheel is doing really well on ABC, it could increase demand.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:47 PM, Megatron81 said:

Yeah I see People The TV Show! Getting a soft launch in fall of 2021 as Sony wants to get it into a few more markets before going national in fall of 2022. Which if I was Sony get Sinclair or Nexstar to soft launch it on some of there TV station which if you get Nexstar you could put it on WGN in Chi & KTLA in LA or you could maybe get an O&O to sign on if they own more than one station in NYC, Philly etc. 

I can actually see the ABC O&Os getting People (since all others already have ET, Access Hollywood, and Extra), meaning the only open slot available would be after Nightline.

According to TV Passport WJZY’s noon and 4pm newscasts launch February 1. They each last an hour. Now as for the syndie changes, if accurate, I’m not sure what Nexstar is thinking. The TV Passport listings show Kelly Clarkson, Dr. Oz and The Real completely gone from their daytime schedule. 25 Words Or Less moves to 10am followed by Dateline at 11. TMZ Live, Judge Mathis and People’s Court each move up an hour to 1, 2 and 3. I don’t see a single change on WMYT’s schedule, but I guess Dr. Oz is going there. The simplest thing to do would be to cut out a run of Judge Mathis and People’s Court on one of the stations. But instead they are apparently downgrading one of the highest rated talk shows, Kelly Clarkson, and The Real, to only WMYT, and possibly moving Dr. Oz there. Anyways I wish WJZY well on their noon and 4pm newscasts.

11 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Meant to edit

On 1/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, Georgie56 said:

Wheel is meant to be aired in prime access exclusively with reruns of the previous season on Saturday nights.

Wheel's prime access run doesn't actually apply to the weekend run; stations mostly just air it there anyway for the same of consistency. A small number of stations air it outside prime access, or a bit before. I know there are at least a couple NBC's in the Pacific Time Zone (one of them being KSBW) that airs Wheel at 6:30 on Saturdays instead of 7:30.

Entertainment Tonight also mostly airs in prime access (though it's not mandatory like it is for Wheel), but it offers a second feed for stations to air in late night or in daytime the next day or on a sister station, which is just an encore of the same episode.

Wheel and Ellen are the only daily syndies I know of that strictly offer only one feed.

20 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

As with Jerry and Judy, reruns will continue to roll out.

Also, according to that article, Young Sheldon, The Good Doctor, and SWAT will go into syndication starting next season. The latter two will be for weekends.

Archived