2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

14 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

That must have changed because when I earlier looked at the article, it was saying early 2021.  Jeez, are they really committing to essentially a two-year pilot?

I suspect that's a typo in the PR quote and it's meant for fall 2021. But if you count the year they did it as a web-only show, it will still have been a two-year pilot project by the time it launches nationally.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, patlovestv said:

I suspect that's a typo in the PR quote and it's meant for fall 2021. But if you count the year they did it as a web-only show, it will still have been a two-year pilot project by the time it launches nationally.

Deadline's article also has fall 2022 in that quote, so it's not a typo by TVNewsCheck.

3 hours ago, patlovestv said:

Wow: IMDBtv and Amazon Studios have landed the upcoming Judge Judy project.

I wonder what CBSTVD has in mind for the rerun library: continue to offer them to stations, or maybe establish a diginet around them?

Always wondered why Judge Judy was never repeated on cable in the US for the past 24 years? Was there some clause that it could only be shown on broadcast syndication? Dr Phil is shown on OWN. 

13 hours ago, zeebre12 said:

Always wondered why Judge Judy was never repeated on cable in the US for the past 24 years? Was there some clause that it could only be shown on broadcast syndication? Dr Phil is shown on OWN. 

I can't speak to the specifics of the contractual language for either of those shows, but it would appear from the durable ratings through the years that CBSTVD's strategy has maximized the value of the show and consistently driven viewership to broadcast stations and their newscasts. A cable window may have diluted that valuable tune-in driver.

I think that People The TV Show is going national in the Fall of 2021-22 season I believe it was a typo just my opinion. I think that People The TV Show will go to WXSP or CW7 just my opinion I could be wrong, also People should get a better name when it goes national like People Now over People The TV Show when it was just a weekend show on Meredith TV station it was called People Now.

7 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I think that People The TV Show is going national in the Fall of 2021-22 season I believe it was a typo just my opinion. I think that People The TV Show will go to WXSP or CW7 just my opinion I could be wrong, also People should get a better name when it goes national like People Now over People The TV Show when it was just a weekend show on Meredith TV station it was called People Now.

It will probably go to WMYT or WAXN in Charlotte.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, patlovestv said:

I wonder what CBSTVD has in mind for the rerun library: continue to offer them to stations, or maybe establish a diginet around them?

I saw in a document somewhere a while back that reruns will continue to be offered for at least two seasons after the first-run shows end. What I'm wondering is if there will still be four runs when that happens, or if CBSTVD will reduce it to two.

• 2 weeks later...

KABC in Los Angeles used to produce a syndicated entertainment show called "On the Red Carpet". In most markets, especially on the ABC O&O's, it aired on weekend afternoons. It ended as a regular series a few years ago. However, special editions still air before award shows. Their CMA show airs on all ABC O&O's and Nexstar-owned ABC affiliates at 7:30 ET/PT before the actual awards.

I don't see the point in this, especially this year where there's not even a Red Carpet for the CMA's. It means Wheel of Fortune gets pre-empted in five of the Top 10 markets, forcing the O&O's to bump it overnight or to Localish. 

On 11/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, WheelWarrior said:

I saw in a document somewhere a while back that reruns will continue to be offered for at least two seasons after the first-run shows end. What I'm wondering is if there will still be four runs when that happens, or if CBSTVD will reduce it to two.

WCNC has never aired all four runs, probably because they haven’t had the room on their schedule.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

How come tonight's "OTRC" didn't get aired on ABC affiliated Tegna Stations like WFAA/Dallas?

Cause it's produced only for ABC Owned & Operated stations like my ABC Owned & Operated Station WTVD in Raleigh.!!!

13 hours ago, Gavin said:

Cause it's produced only for ABC Owned & Operated stations like my ABC Owned & Operated Station WTVD in Raleigh.!!!

There was also a separate pre-show produced by WKRN (the second highest offender for Wheel of Fortune pre-emptions behind WBZ, including this) and aired on most or all Nexstar-owned ABC affiliates.

Last night's episode of Wheel was lost in roughly 30% of the US, 10 markets total - the O&O's plus New Haven (WTNH), Nashville (WKRN), and Midland/Odessa, TX (KMID).

17 hours ago, Gavin said:

That is also why Seattle's KOMO 4--owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group--stuck with the Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, eh?

2 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

That is also why Seattle's KOMO 4--owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group--stuck with the Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, eh?

If they did air it, they would have only pre-empted Jeopardy! since it was 7:30 ET/PT.

And if that was the case, knowing how many stations favor J! over Wheel (even before Alex Trebek's passing), they probably would have moved J! to 7:00 since many stations do that when J!'s slot is pre-empted but Wheel's isn't, or if J! gets delayed or pre-empted by an overrunning event. KATU 2 in Portland (also Sinclair) does this frequently.

Speaking of certain syndies being favored over others, I noticed that several West Coast markets gave Ellen top priority when making schedule changes on Election Day. Many of them moved Ellen earlier in the day and dropped other talks like Kelly, Rachael Ray, and Tamron. I thought that was interesting given that Ellen's ratings have reached an all-time low with all the recent controversy.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, WheelWarrior said:

WZZM never aired Four EP's of Judge Judy until this past summer they air it at 10AM to 11AM & 4PM to 5PM like always. I wonder if Nick Cannon was going to air at 10AM before the delay for a year on WZZM.

Caught in Providence, which just ended its syndie run past September, has been added to its primetime lineup at Law&Crime Network, started Monday, Nov. 16. No word if new episodes would be on deck or just reruns. Its YT page though have recent clips produced during the pandemic. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/255976/caught-in-providence-joins-lawcrime-network/

1 hour ago, patlovestv said:

Fox TV Stations have re-upped three strips: 25 WORDS OR LESS; DISH NATION; and DIVORCE COURT, for two additional seasons each, through the 2022-23 season.

Now that WJZY/WMYT are with Nexstar it’s no guarantee they signed on...we’ll just have to see in the fall...but the only other station I could see picking them up would be WAXN...

5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Caught in Providence, which just ended its syndie run past September, has been added to its primetime lineup at Law&Crime Network, started Monday, Nov. 16. No word if new episodes would be on deck or just reruns. Its YT page though have recent clips produced during the pandemic. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/255976/caught-in-providence-joins-lawcrime-network/

I honestly thought that show was a goner.

6 hours ago, patlovestv said:

Fox TV Stations have re-upped three strips: 25 WORDS OR LESS; DISH NATION; and DIVORCE COURT, for two additional seasons each, through the 2022-23 season.

I'm surprised Dish Nation is still on the air. Divorce Court tends to be the lowest rated court show and 25 Words or Less is so-so ratings wise.

Binghamton's duopoly of WIVT (ABC) and WBGH (NBC) used to air The Dr. Oz Show twice a day, first on WBGH at 4:00 PM, then on WIVT at 5:00. This season, the WIVT airing was dropped and replaced with the primary run of Funny You Should Ask (with the second run airing at 2:04 AM) and the secondary run of Jeopardy! (first run airs at 7:30 after Wheel)

On 11/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

I'm surprised Dish Nation is still on the air. Divorce Court tends to be the lowest rated court show and 25 Words or Less is so-so ratings wise.

DN is probably one of the cheapest shows to film though; just put some cameras into two radio studios, have great editors who can cut the best clips out and form it around 20 minutes of time, and the talent is mostly paid by somebody else. I thought it would have been dead in 2012, but in 2020 when you have even RightThisMinute having to do the same from home, it's a pioneer.

Divorce Court is pretty much an ego renewal at this point so that The People's Court doesn't overtake them in years aired (and since conflict talk shows are pretty much down to only Steve, someone needs to have a place for these people) and 25 Words...again, cheap to do, even more so this season.

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

DN is probably one of the cheapest shows to film though; just put some cameras into two radio studios, have great editors who can cut the best clips out and form it around 20 minutes of time, and the talent is mostly paid by somebody else. I thought it would have been dead in 2012, but in 2020 when you have even RightThisMinute having to do the same from home, it's a pioneer.

Divorce Court is pretty much an ego renewal at this point so that The People's Court doesn't overtake them in years aired (and since conflict talk shows are pretty much down to only Steve, someone needs to have a place for these people) and 25 Words...again, cheap to do, even more so this season.

I thought Dish Nation was only going to be on for two seasons, with cancellation.

Divorce Court was much better 10 years ago with more variety of reasons for divorce. It used to be a lot more serious, now it seems to be mostly funny and repetitive. I've definitely noticed a change in style to the show compared to 10 years ago.

WXMI Fox17 aired Divorce Court for years when it debut in the fall of 99 until 2012 or 2013 when CW7 took Divorce Court which CW7 & WXSP air most of the court shows WXSP airs court shows from 11:30AM to 4PM, CW7 12PM to 3PM. Only Judge Judy & Hot Bench are the only court shows neither has aired.

Sony is only bringing two shows for fall 2021-22 season Good Dish & Common Knowledge from GSN, People The TV Show! for 2022 so that wasn't a typo as I thought when that was going national. I see that Dish Nation ratings are counted again for the past couple of months which only gets 0.3 I have never gotten into the show I have tried a few times just never could get into it. I wish that Page Six TV was kept and that Dish Nation got canceled which if Fox doesn't get Extra I think that Page Six would've stayed on just my opinion.

I'm surprised that Fox17 still airs Just For Laughs even know it is on late at night that show should be on either CW7 or WXSP I guess Scripps is stuck with it until that deal runs out as that was on when Tribune owned the TV station. 

Archived