2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It will come back in some form eventually.  Like when Roseanne was kicked off her own reboot and all of the networks pulled the run of the original series as the controversy was fresh in everyone's minds.  It's everywhere once again.

Then again, I haven't seen Dukes of Hazzard or any Bill Cosby things since the events that caused these shows to go away. 

I don't think Dukes of Hazzard airs anywhere. It might still be on home video. The only COPS home media there's ever been were best-ofs. Full seasons have never been released anywhere.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Glimmer said:

I'm somewhat surprised that Tamron's show got renewed. The show seems to have had mediocre ratings but I guess there's enough of an audience to bring it back. The pandemic didn't treat the show the best either, with interruptions for news conferences.

8 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I'm somewhat surprised that Tamron's show got renewed. The show seems to have had mediocre ratings but I guess there's enough of an audience to bring it back. The pandemic didn't treat the show the best either, with interruptions for news conferences.

And before that, all of the special reports for the impeachment trial.

4 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Her season 2 premiere did pretty well actually, especially with the highly-anticipated interview with Andrew Gillum. Together with the interview she had with Stassi Schroeder, Tamron's demonstrated she's very capable of making headlines with her show when she strikes while the iron is hot. Disney's definitely trying to ride on that bounce her show's been getting (and also trying to treat her well -- hinthintNBC) so I think there's probably a fair bit of life in her show for a few more years, barring doing something that will get her cancelled. And Emmys also don't mean much to most, but she did win one for her first season so she's getting something right. 

46 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Her season 2 premiere did pretty well actually, especially with the highly-anticipated interview with Andrew Gillum. Together with the interview she had with Stassi Schroeder, Tamron's demonstrated she's very capable of making headlines with her show when she strikes while the iron is hot. Disney's definitely trying to ride on that bounce her show's been getting (and also trying to treat her well -- hinthintNBC) so I think there's probably a fair bit of life in her show for a few more years, barring doing something that will get her cancelled. And Emmys also don't mean much to most, but she did win one for her first season so she's getting something right. 

Her interviews have been decent, including the one with Gillum. As a woman who had bad luck with NBC News, I think Disney doesn't want to do what NBC did so they'll probably keep her on for a few more seasons.

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

For ABC, the difference between their ratings and that of its predecessors (RightThisMinute and the mess that was FABLife) and the quality of who is watching probably played a factor in renewal. Lower bars for syndication overall also help.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, mrschimpf said:

For ABC, the difference between their ratings and that of its predecessors (RightThisMinute and the mess that was FABLife) and the quality of who is watching probably played a factor in renewal. Lower bars for syndication overall also help.

And the syndicated version of Millionaire, which the ABC O&O's paired with RTM once FABLife was cancelled midseason. Yes, they brought it back to the airwaves, but only because Disney/ABC Domestic Television needed a quick replacement for stations who were pulling Cops immediately. Its ratings were pretty dismal for its final years, since many markets had stopped carrying it. Not to mention that the game was getting very noticeably difficult, such that no contestant made it to the million dollar question since 2013, and nobody won the million since 2009, back when Meredith Vieira was still the host. In the final season (which is the only season in the current package), nobody won more than $100,000.

The Katie Couric show, which was also on the ABC O&O's, didn't do too well, either.

12 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

The Katie Couric show, which was also on the ABC O&O's, didn't do too well, either.

Katie was basically getting the same ratings numbers as Steve Harvey's original talk show. But the station execs felt that she didn't deliver on their expectations. In other word, they were expecting Katie to get even stronger numbers than what she had. 

It also didn't help that it was a very expensive show. She was getting $5M per season.

Couric’s show, which was originally launched with Jeff Zucker as executive producer, was one of the most expensive shows in syndication, and the ratings it got did not justify the cost, according to industry analysts.

This is the first Thursday of the year where Thursday Night Football begins airing nationally on FOX, so some temporary changes in syndication may be happening on some FOX affiliates with whatever show would normally air at 7:30 ET/6:30 CT, and even more so on the West Coast.

One of the more unique changes is on WLUK in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Normally, Wheel of Fortune is restricted to the prime access hour. However, WLUK slightly breaks that restriction on Thursdays (and most other occasions when FOX has sports that start at 7:30) by shortening their 5:00 newscast and moving Wheel an hour early to 5:30 PM Central, making them the first station in the US to air Wheel on Thursdays.

Last year, WXIX in Cincinnati beat them by moving Wheel all the way up to 6:00 Eastern, replacing Jeopardy!'s second run. The main run moved up from 7:30 to 7:00. In the 2018-19 season, Main J! run moved to 7:00 but Wheel was bumped to 1:30 AM. They must have received a lot of complaints for this. This year, they have since added a 6:00 news, so now Wheel stays at 7:00 and main J! is bumped to 1:05 AM. The second run now airs at 1:30 PM.

Every other FOX affiliate that airs Wheel at 7:30 ET/6:30 CT/MT is moving it overnight. I was really hoping that WDAF in Kansas City, now that they have Jeopardy!, would take advantage of their acquisition by relinquishing part of its J! double run at 2:00 PM by replacing the 2:30 airing with Wheel, whether on Thursday afternoons or delaying Thursday eps to Friday afternoon. It always irks me when a station pre-empts Wheel and bumps it overnight or drops it, yet still airs two back-to-back Jeopardy!'s slightly earlier in the day as normal.

In New York, there really isn't any change on WNYW. TMZ at 7:30 is pre-empted, but they repeat it two more times the following morning and afternoon so it's not like they need to make it up.

WXMI Fox17 doesn't air second half of Modern Family when TNF is on I don't get why they don't just move it to 7PM and not air that lame newsfeed for a day I'm sure very few watch Newsfeed just my opinion, and no one would notice anyways.

WJZY is premiering “Charlotte Sports Live” on October 29 the night of the Thursday night Panthers game it will be airing. It will air every night at 11pm, or whatever time the 10pm news ends, but because of the game it obviously it won’t air at 11pm the first night. It started running this promo today and zap2it confirmed it was “Charlotte Sports Live.” 

This will permanently bump Extra, TMZ, Access Hollywood and Dish Nation back a half hour on weeknights. (11:30, midnight, 12:30 and 1am). Access Hollywood is now airing before Dish Nation.

Also 25 Words or Less started airing before Dr. Oz. I think I posted that already.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, WheelWarrior said:

This is the first Thursday of the year where Thursday Night Football begins airing nationally on FOX, so some temporary changes in syndication may be happening on some FOX affiliates with whatever show would normally air at 7:30 ET/6:30 CT, and even more so on the West Coast.

In New York, there really isn't any change on WNYW. TMZ at 7:30 is pre-empted, but they repeat it two more times the following morning and afternoon so it's not like they need to make it up.

There actually is a change now, and it's a dumb one.

The 7:30 airing of TMZ (again one of three airings of the same episode) moves to 6:30, which completely pre-empts the primary run of 25 Words or Less. On any days with FOX pregame shows at 7:30 (which is Tue-Fri all this week), we lose the new episode, and they continue to air the secondary rerun feed at 12:30, rather than move the new episodes there. And it's super annoying to track down when the missed episodes will air in that slot, because the 12:30 episodes are listed as the new episodes that air at 6:30, even when the latter isn't pre-empted.

Due to the NFL makeup on Monday, and the usual World Series on Tue/Wed/Fri and TNF, Baltimore (WBFF), Kansas City (WDAF), New Orleans (WVUE), and Mobile (WALA) all lose Wheel of Fortune for this whole week (but they don't lose Jeopardy!, which feels unfair). Hawaii (KHON) also loses Wheel if the World Series broadcasts runs later than 12:00 AM Eastern/6:00 PM local, since their 6:00 news right before Wheel always runs a full 30 minutes. This happened last night, but only the first couple minutes were cut off.

On 10/19/2020 at 5:34 AM, Nelson R. said:

WJZY is premiering “Charlotte Sports Live” on October 29 the night of the Thursday night Panthers game it will be airing. It will air every night at 11pm, or whatever time the 10pm news ends, but because of the game it obviously it won’t air at 11pm the first night. It started running this promo today and zap2it confirmed it was “Charlotte Sports Live.” 

This will permanently bump Extra, TMZ, Access Hollywood and Dish Nation back a half hour on weeknights. (11:30, midnight, 12:30 and 1am). Access Hollywood is now airing before Dish Nation.

Also 25 Words or Less started airing before Dr. Oz. I think I posted that already.

IMG_1641.MOV 4.94 MB · 4 downloads

I smell Nexstar using Charlotte as a test package to bring out a sports show to all of the Nexstar markets.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, dman748 said:

I smell Nexstar using Charlotte as a test package to bring out a sports show to all of the Nexstar markets.

Been meaning to post, but “Black and Blue Kickoff Live” has been airing in other Nexstar markets in the Carolinas so you’re probably right.

It also airs at 10am on WGHP and WYCW. WGHP’s Kevin Connolly joins the WJZY sports team like he did on Around the Track. It has a separate graphics package.

It airs for just 30 minutes at 11:30 am on WNCN and WBTW and at 11am on WCNT’s CW sub channel. Not sure if it’s the first or second 30 minutes but probably the second 30 minutes because that’s when they do the picks. I don’t know why WCNT doesn’t air the full hour on the CW channel at 11am, is it really necessary for BOTH channels to air Mike Houston at 11:30?

It also airs online on Wednesday nights.

Wood TV has Sports Overtime which debuted in July of 96 it has been off since March when sports were on a break on Sunday's at 11:30PM only station to air a sports highlight show and studio guest it is a 30 minute show. Sports OT is off when during SNF Nexstar started that in 2018. Fox17 did have the Sports Ticket but that got canceled in 2009.

I remember the first year that the Lions went to WXYZ for the pregame show it was an hour for Detroit but only a half hour for the rest of the state of Michigan whoever had Lions football during preseason, but after that the Lions pregame show has been an hour since 2012 in 2015 they moved to the Fox O&O in Detroit. WXMI Fox17 has been home of the Detroit Lions preseason forever other than for 3 years from 99-01 when WZZM aired the Lions preseason games funny thing was that WZZM aired the Lions coaches show in the '90s until 02 when Fox17 took the coaches/pregame show thought that was odd airing the preseason games but not the coaches show in the '90s.  

3 minutes ago, patlovestv said:

Per your link, they will "offer the show to other station groups for fall 2022". I wonder which station groups will join up.

That must have changed because when I earlier looked at the article, it was saying early 2021.  Jeez, are they really committing to essentially a two-year pilot?

Archived