2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt anyone here really cares, but it looks like the pandemic has left the fall season of Litton's SatAM blocks looking pretty anemic. Not only are there no new shows for now, but from what I can tell, Litton was only able to film a few new episodes of existing shows for the fall, with One Magnificent Morning on the CW being utterly devoid of any change (not that it was likely to get much anyway, given it's been relegated to a low-priority block since they started running shows on NBC). Even the old faithful Weekend Adventure has been hit thanks to losing Jack Hanna to retirement, meaning their flagship show since the beginning is now gone.

I know most of this concerns networks, but since Litton's contracts are (for the most part) technically syndication deals, I felt like it fit here.

4 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

If I remember correctly, Monk used to air in reruns in syndication during weeknights back in the late 2000's and early 2010's, so this marks a return to off-network syndication for the show.

On this subject, Monk is now airing at 10a weekdays on KADN 15.3 in Lafayette, LA!

On 9/9/2020 at 8:46 AM, Glimmer said:
On 9/9/2020 at 5:58 PM, johnnya2k6 said:

As will fellow Access Hollywood alum Stephanie Bauer (could Shaun Robinson or Tony Potts join them next?)!

The latest hire for PEOPLE is Gretchen Carlson as special contributor.

15 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

COPS resumed production, but it'll not to be aired in the US.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cops-quietly-resumes-production

29 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I wonder if it will ever come back at all in the U.S.? I still believe it may come back to syndiation in reruns if not new episodes. 

Perhaps these episodes will someday make their domestic debut on Pluto TV, which quietly continues to carry a 24/7 COPS channel:
https://www.pluto.tv/live-tv/cops

WMYT is now simulcasting the first hour of News Nation every night at 8pm which bumps the Modern Family double run on weekdays to 11pm and My programming to midnight-2am.

The second Sunday hour of Two and a Half Men that previously aired at 7 and 7:30pm will be replaced by an hour of the Big Bang Theory. (Those move from 8 and 8:30 to make room for News Nation). The other two episodes of Two and a Half Men will move to midnight and 12:30.

On Saturdays it will follow Dateline at 7. A movie will air at 9, followed by hour long episodes of Storm of Suspicion and Weather Gone Viral. Seems like they should’ve kept Dateline at 7 on weekdays, would’ve made sense as a leadin during the week too.  But now they have Two and a Half Men at 7 and 7:30 and Dateline at 1 (because of Schitt’s Creek).

On 10/1/2020 at 11:45 AM, Newsjunkie24 said:

Interesting hire. It looks like she'll do all the feel good stories.

I was hoping they would get Catt Sadler (formerly of E! News, which ended its 30-year run a few months ago).

On 9/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, Adam MadMan said:

I doubt anyone here really cares, but it looks like the pandemic has left the fall season of Litton's SatAM blocks looking pretty anemic. Not only are there no new shows for now, but from what I can tell, Litton was only able to film a few new episodes of existing shows for the fall, with One Magnificent Morning on the CW being utterly devoid of any change (not that it was likely to get much anyway, given it's been relegated to a low-priority block since they started running shows on NBC). Even the old faithful Weekend Adventure has been hit thanks to losing Jack Hanna to retirement, meaning their flagship show since the beginning is now gone.

I know most of this concerns networks, but since Litton's contracts are (for the most part) technically syndication deals, I felt like it fit here.

The rival Xploration Station block, meanwhile, has one new show: Life 2.0; Xploration Outer Space probably made enough episodes to last a little longer in reruns — dunno if it’s enough for daily stripping — because Emily Calandrelli now has a second show (Emily’s Wonder Lab on Netflix, which she filmed during her pregnancy last year).

On 10/2/2020 at 12:23 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

I watch the 24/7 Pluto TV COPS channel occasionally, and I'm surprised it's still on the lineup, since it's owned by ViacomCBS which also owns Paramount Network, who cancelled the show in June. 

It seemed to arrive on the platform before Viacom bought Pluto TV out, so it might be an issue where they have to wait out the contract because Langley Productions hasn't breached the agreement and VCBS isn't willing to breach it on their end.

And I pretty much assume that there will eventually be a low-tier broadcaster or subchannel network who will pick up the new episodes because 'any publicity is good publicity'.

10 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It seemed to arrive on the platform before Viacom bought Pluto TV out, so it might be an issue where they have to wait out the contract because Langley Productions hasn't breached the agreement and VCBS isn't willing to breach it on their end.

And I pretty much assume that there will eventually be a low-tier broadcaster or subchannel network who will pick up the new episodes because 'any publicity is good publicity'.

I wonder which broadcaster or subchannel might pick it up? It looks like Paramount Network had 3 episodes set to air before dropping the series, and the Spokane episodes will probably be shown in the U.S. eventually. I don't know how many foreigners would be interested in American law enforcement enough to watch it on TV.

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I wonder which broadcaster or subchannel might pick it up? It looks like Paramount Network had 3 episodes set to air before dropping the series, and the Spokane episodes will probably be shown in the U.S. eventually. I don't know how many foreigners would be interested in American law enforcement enough to watch it on TV.

It will come back in some form eventually.  Like when Roseanne was kicked off her own reboot and all of the networks pulled the run of the original series as the controversy was fresh in everyone's minds.  It's everywhere once again.

Then again, I haven't seen Dukes of Hazzard or any Bill Cosby things since the events that caused these shows to go away. 

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Then again, I haven't seen Dukes of Hazzard or any Bill Cosby things since the events that caused these shows to go away. 

The Cosby Show is still on TV One as of 2020; I believe that is the only network that still airs the show today. TV Passport has it listed from 8-9 AM EST on weekdays.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:41 AM, Nelson R. said:

WMYT is now simulcasting the first hour of News Nation every night at 8pm which bumps the Modern Family double run on weekdays to 11pm and My programming to midnight-2am.

The second Sunday hour of Two and a Half Men that previously aired at 7 and 7:30pm will be replaced by an hour of the Big Bang Theory. (Those move from 8 and 8:30 to make room for News Nation). The other two episodes of Two and a Half Men will move to midnight and 12:30.

On Saturdays it will follow Dateline at 7. A movie will air at 9, followed by hour long episodes of Storm of Suspicion and Weather Gone Viral. Seems like they should’ve kept Dateline at 7 on weekdays, would’ve made sense as a leadin during the week too.  But now they have Two and a Half Men at 7 and 7:30 and Dateline at 1 (because of Schitt’s Creek).

KAUT is also airing NewsNation from 7:00 to 8:00, in place of syndicated runs of Mom. I'm assuming other Nexstar stations that are independents or affiliated with MNTV (that delay the service's lineup until later in the evening) are running it, at least for the month of October.

Archived