2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

Yeah I've checked WTXF and it's not on there, either on weekdays or weekends. Maybe they'll show it on weekends when there's a rare occasion that there isn't any sports.

1 hour ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Schitt's Creek is nowhere on WJBK's schedule either, which leads me to suggest that it's likely being used as filler for short-running sports on weekends or for weekends with no sports at all.

I guess the Fox O&O deal wasn’t group wide because from TV Passport’s schedules, Schitt’s will be on in Detroit on WKBD weeknights at 2:30am and in Philadelphia on WPSG weeknights at 11pm.

4 hours ago, Glimmer said:

I guess the Fox O&O deal wasn’t group wide because from TV Passport’s schedules, Schitt’s will be on in Detroit on WKBD weeknights at 2:30am and in Philadelphia on WPSG weeknights at 11pm.

It isn't on WAGA...or anywhere else here in Atlanta, either.

2 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I found it on WATL at 11:30pm. But just one run. I guess the other run will be on weekends.

Yes, replacing Andy Griffith.

And if anyone cares less about Fairbanks, Alaska: KTVF now has Dr. Phil at 4:00 pm with sister station KXDF taking Drew Barrymore at 3:00...and that's it (all other schedules remain status quo).

Schitt’s isn’t on the Fox O&O in Austin either. Airing instead on Nexstar CW affiliate KNVA at 11:30p weekdays. 

Speaking of KNVA, they are dumping the 2-hour lifestyle show “Studio 512” that runs 7a-9a and replacing it with 2 hours of weather and traffic from sister station KXAN. If this sounds familiar, it’s the same thing Nexstar did with KIAH in Houston. 

On 9/8/2020 at 12:37 AM, oknewsguy said:

But also at the same time it probably wouldn't had mattered if PAA was on 38 because from what I've been told on Discord, WBZ likes to find any and all excuses to preempt the Merv Griffin shows, you should see the Buy A Vowel boards on how often WBZ preempts Wheel/J! for anything in general (not just the Pats)

On 9/8/2020 at 7:41 AM, scrabbleship said:

The garbage treatment WoF/J! get in Boston is foreign to just about anywhere else I've been. The three stations I grew up with them on (WABC, WTNH, WTEN) probably preempt them less combined in a year than WBZ does on its own.

Over the course of the 2019-20 season, WBZ pre-empted Wheel of Fortune (locally; Thanksgiving NFL and CBS Special Reports don't count) a total of 32 times on weekdays, counting reruns. That's an average of 1 in every 8 airings. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Jeopardy! was only pre-empted 20 times; all but one of them were for Pats All Access, the other was from an hour-long debate. And yes, all 20 of those times had Wheel affected too; WBZ will not air Wheel without J! if they can help it, but they have no problem with the vice-versa (same goes for many other stations that carry them). J! was not pre-empted at all between 1/3/20 and 6/26/20, since all airings of PAA or other special events between then were only half an hour.

If we count Wheel of Fortune Weekend (Saturday reruns), the numbers would be way higher, because every single Saturday College Football game on CBS, which were all scheduled until 7:00, ran long, often to 7:30-45, due to CBS being fond of rounding out their broadcasts to 7:15, 30, or 45 with their CBS Postgame Show (whereas the other networks generally just do quick wrap-ups, CBS does full-on discussions before signing off). WBZ always kept Wheel at 7:00 on Saturdays, so no Saturday episode of Wheel ever aired in full (and many not at all) on WBZ last season until College Football was over (though to be fair, many other CBS affiliates had this problem as well, plus others who would put news at 7/6 Central and then Wheel right afterwards but run the news for a full 30 minutes or straight to primetime). Then, once the pandemic hit, WBZ bumped both Wheel and J! Weekend to overnights in favor of two infomercials (most of the other CBS O&O's did the same with their prime access programming), but they returned to their rightful time slots last weekend.

There was also a time in December 2017 where WBZ (and WCCO and KTVT) randomly pre-empted Wheel on a weekday (but not J! on WBZ; the other two don't carry it) with an Operation Smile infomercial not once, but twice.

Pats All Access started back up again last Friday, so things are going to be the same as always this season. 😔 You'd think Wheel would have something to say about the #9 market often airing them only four days a week out of a possible six.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:28 PM, scrabbleship said:

Boston

WBZ/WSBK: Drew Barrymore to 9:00 AM, Hot Bench to the same time on WSBK. Couples Court, which had been 9:00 AM on WSBK, goes MIA. The only other changes are some sitcom swapping in overnights on WSBK with How I Met Your Mother's broadcast rights going to LAFF.

I might sound insane suggesting this, but IF Drew Barrymore's show gets cancelled, I really would love to see it be replaced by an American version of BBC's "Pointless". At 9AM, it would open up a Three-Hour game show block, with LMaD and TPiR at 10am and 11am, respectively. Also, I'm really certain that Americans are as smart as the UK.

28 minutes ago, nbc4ne said:

I might sound insane suggesting this, but IF Drew Barrymore's show gets cancelled, I really would love to see it be replaced by an American version of BBC's "Pointless". At 9AM, it would open up a Three-Hour game show block, with LMaD and TPiR at 10am and 11am, respectively. Also, I'm really certain that Americans are as smart as the UK.

Drew Barrymore's show is syndicated.

6 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I think he means on the CBS O&O’s that carry it at 9.

This 3 hour game show block he's suggesting strongly implies that it would be a CBS Daytime block, so that wouldn't just be the O&O's. That's also ignoring the fact that much of the country carries midday news at 11 and not noon, but that point is moot, since this idea isn't feasible, in the first place.

17 minutes ago, 24994J said:

This 3 hour game show block he's suggesting strongly implies that it would be a CBS Daytime block, so that wouldn't just be the O&O's. That's also ignoring the fact that much of the country carries midday news at 11 and not noon, but that point is moot, since this idea isn't feasible, in the first place.

No it wouldn’t work unless the Central, Mountain and Pacific Time Zones carried CBS This Morning live at 6am and that’s a nonstarter.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

There's a good chunk of affiliates west of the eastern time zone that carry the local news at noon after Y&R (i.e WWL, KHOU and O&O WCCO).

WBBM & KTVT are just the lucky ones that follow the eastern scheduling pattern to a T.

But I do agree with many of you, there's no way these local stations are going to give up another hour of local time just to air another network program. Hell, not all stations west of the east coast carry LMAD at 9am local time. Some air it at 2pm after The Talk.

In Nashville, WKRN's local program The Mike Vrabel Show returns Tuesday nights at 6:30 Central for most of NFL season. As a result, Tuesday episodes of Wheel of Fortune are relegated to 12:07 AM, resulting in Extra and Dr. Phil (encore) sliding back half an hour past their usual times on other days and dropping their only run of RightThisMinute on Tuesdays.

Now let me ask this: Will any of the stations that were supposed to carry Nick Cannon's talk show this year (before it got pushed back) remain committed to him next year?  There could be a change some of the affiliate list might change.  Not to mention, he (or others) might not want to do the show anymore.  Anything can happen.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:26 AM, WheelWarrior said:

WWOR is delaying Schitt's Creek (primary run only) to weekends - Sunday nights at 6:00, 6:30, 11:00, 11:30, and 12:00. Since the episodes appear to be in chronological order across both runs, we only get the odd-numbered episodes.

A fun twist... per the distributor, stations are being offered the option to carry either five or ten episodes per week. If you're only getting five, they're offering a separate feed to keep the storyline linear for viewers. See additional info below from the "air schedule instructions" found here.

Single Run Only Stations:
This is for stations airing 5 New Episodes Per Week.
This will apply to both Monday-Friday and Weekend stack stations.
The shows will be sent in chronological order starting with Show #SC-01.
So For Week #1 you will air #SC-01-#SC-05.
Beginning Week #2 we will send an additional delivery of #SC-06-#SC-10.

Double Run Only Stations
This is for stations airing 10 New Episodes Per Week. This applies to anyone
airing a total of 10 New Episodes each week.
These shows will also be sent in chronological order starting with Show #SC-01.
So For Week #1 you will air #SC-01-#SC-10, Week #2, #SC-11-SC-20 and so on.

17 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Now let me ask this: Will any of the stations that were supposed to carry Nick Cannon's talk show this year (before it got pushed back) remain committed to him next year?  There could be a change some of the affiliate list might change.  Not to mention, he (or others) might not want to do the show anymore.  Anything can happen.

I don’t know how that works but I suppose it could. I think WJZY/WMYT was supposed to air it since they were owned by FTS.

Just noticed this in the last couple days because both schedules never updated for Green Bay, but WBAY lost Wendy Williams, which they had been airing at 12:05am (only a few hours before WFRV-DT2/Bounce did!), and WACY picked it up at 2pm, so a good upgrade there. I assume they were supposed to get Nick Cannon, because they're airing a post-midnight infomercial block instead (though it does help as a backfill timeslot if General Hospital gets pre-empted by the governor for now).

ETA - Turns out they picked up the weekday Monk syndicated package for the 12:05 timeslot.

4 hours ago, patlovestv said:

A fun twist... per the distributor, stations are being offered the option to carry either five or ten episodes per week. If you're only getting five, they're offering a separate feed to keep the storyline linear for viewers. See additional info below from the "air schedule instructions" found here.

That's interesting. All the TV guides here list us as getting eps 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. That will be annoying for anyone who relies on listing info for DVR and such.

It's a common problem with WNYW/WWOR though. For most shows where they carry both runs across both stations, both airings are listed as the same episode even though they are not (if the show offers two runs), like The People's Court. And it's still happening with 25 Words or Less even though both airings are now on WNYW.

Archived