2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston

WBZ/WSBK: Drew Barrymore to 9:00 AM, Hot Bench to the same time on WSBK. Couples Court, which had been 9:00 AM on WSBK, goes MIA. The only other changes are some sitcom swapping in overnights on WSBK with How I Met Your Mother's broadcast rights going to LAFF.

WCVB: No Changes

WHDH: DailyMailTV moves over from WBTS for the 11:00/11:30 AM slot, replacing the out-of-syndication Chicago PD. No changes otherwise.

WBTS: Access Daily returns at 11:00 AM, Rachael Ray moves to 2:00 PM

(An aside: Nobody is on at Boston at 11:00 AM. Every other ET NBC O&O is on at 11:00. Why not you, WBTS?)

WFXT: Mel Robbins is replaced at 2:00 PM by...a mix of E/I and random 2018-19 Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? reruns.

WLVI: No Changes

Hartford/New Haven

WFSB: Better Connecticut returns at 3:00 PM, replacing Dr. Oz which it appears has not been picked up by anyone. People (the TV Show!) takes the 7:30 PM slot Entertainment Tonight had for nearly 20 years.

WTNH: Drew Barrymore to 10:00 AM with Rachael Ray moving to WCTX at 1:00 PM. Also, Entertainment Tonight ends up here at...1:37 AM. That isn't a replay of an earlier airing on WCTX, that's the main run!

WCCT: Some show swapping but nothing major.

WVIT: No Changes. This includes the albatross known as All Access.

WCTX: Some afternoon shuffling: Tamron Hall to 2:00 PM, the Dr. Phil replay to 4:00 PM, the second run of Judge Judy to 7:00/7:30 PM.

WTIC: Judge Mathis takes the Noon slot held by Mel Robbins. 6:00-8:00 PM is still sitcoms.

Albany

WRGB: No Changes

WTEN: Dr. Oz to 9:00 AM from WNYA, replacing Mel Robbins. A second run in overnights, replacing reruns of The Game.

WNYT: Drew Barrymore to 11:00 AM, bumping Tamron Hall to 2:37 AM (WNYA is airing it at the more sane hour of 7:00 PM). 

WXXA: Some minor show swapping of court shows nobody watches. The Friday night double run of Judge Judy (7:30 PM) and TMZ (11:00 PM) are being nixed for football season for two Nexstar-produced football shows, the Giants/Jets-centric WTEN-based NY Blitz and the Patriots-centric WPRI-based NE Nation.

WCWN: A second run of Steve Wilkos replaces America Says at 4:00

WNYA: Dateline reruns to 6:00 PM and a second run of Drew Barrymore at 3:00 PM, plus some random things dumped on overnights.

Springfield

WSHM: Drew Barrymore to 9:00 AM with Kelly & Ryan going to parent WGGB. People (the TV Show!) replaces ET at 7:30 with ET moving to 1:37 AM.

WGGB: Wendy Williams goes solely to WGGB.2, Rachael Ray moves an hour later to 10:00 AM. They get a second run of People(!) at 1:07 AM, this while quadruple running Family Feud surrounding the early evening news blocks.

WGGB.2: A bunch of low-grade court show shuffling, plus Maury replacing Chicago PD at 4:00 PM. The two hours of reruns of The Simpsons is now one with Last Man Standing and Modern Family going to double runs. Oh, and the 10:35 PM run of ET becomes, yes, People(!).

WWLP: No Changes.

Meredith is going to flat out tank themselves with People(!), aren't they?

8 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

WBZ/WSBK: Drew Barrymore to 9:00 AM, Hot Bench to the same time on WSBK. Couples Court, which had been 9:00 AM on WSBK, goes MIA. The only other changes are some sitcom swapping in overnights on WSBK with How I Met Your Mother's broadcast rights going to LAFF.

And Wheel of Fortune will continue to be pre-empted to 2:07 AM every Friday night for NFL season (with Jeopardy! also bumped roughly half the time).

2 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

And Wheel of Fortune will continue to be pre-empted to 2:07 AM every Friday night for NFL season (with Jeopardy! also bumped roughly half the time).

Fox has Thursday Night Football now, so it's no longer an issue for CBS affiliates (and only for a few Fox stations).

24 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Fox has Thursday Night Football now, so it's no longer an issue for CBS affiliates (and only for a few Fox stations).

Not that. WBZ has a local program called Patriots All Access that airs every Friday during NFL season, and also on several Fridays during the offseason. It airs on WBZ at 7:00 PM and then repeats on WSBK sometime on Sunday mornings. Friday episodes of Wheel of Fortune and most Friday eps of Jeopardy! are bumped to overnight. Jeopardy! gets moved to WSBK if it's a tournament episode, but Wheel never gets moved there. The offseason episodes of PAA are only half an hour, so only Wheel gets preempted. Also, whenever WBZ has to preempt 7:30 for a special event, they move Jeopardy! to 7:00 and bump Wheel overnight (they also did this when CBS had TNF since it starts at 7:30, so Wheel would be preempted twice a week). WBZ usually doesn't go more than three weeks without preempting Wheel on a weekday. This has been a problem ever since the show moved up there from WSBK in 2009, and many fans have complained, but the station refuses to do anything better.

KDFW: No change

KXAS: No change

WFAA: No change 

KTVT: Drew Barrymore at 2pm. Replaces Tamron Hall.

KTXA: Drew Barrymore repeat at 8pm. Replaces Right This Minute, which moves to midnight. 

KDFI: No change

KDAF: Tamron Hall at 9am. Replaces DailyMailTV, which moves to 11am to replace Mel Robbins.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

KDFW: No change

KXAS: No change

WFAA: No change 

KTVT: Drew Barrymore at 2pm. Replaces Tamron Hall.

KTXA: Drew Barrymore repeat at 8pm. Replaces Right This Minute, which moves to midnight. 

KDFI: No change

KDAF: Tamron Hall at 9am. Replaces DailyMailTV, which moves to 11am to replace Mel Robbins.

One more change that actually happened a few months ago and is probably permanent: Wheel of Fortune Weekend now airs on KTXA instead of KTVT, one of the few markets to separate the weekday and weekend runs between two stations.

6 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Not that. WBZ has a local program called Patriots All Access that airs every Friday during NFL season, and also on several Fridays during the offseason. It airs on WBZ at 7:00 PM and then repeats on WSBK sometime on Sunday mornings. Friday episodes of Wheel of Fortune and most Friday eps of Jeopardy! are bumped to overnight. Jeopardy! gets moved to WSBK if it's a tournament episode, but Wheel never gets moved there. The offseason episodes of PAA are only half an hour, so only Wheel gets preempted. Also, whenever WBZ has to preempt 7:30 for a special event, they move Jeopardy! to 7:00 and bump Wheel overnight (they also did this when CBS had TNF since it starts at 7:30, so Wheel would be preempted twice a week). WBZ usually doesn't go more than three weeks without preempting Wheel on a weekday. This has been a problem ever since the show moved up there from WSBK in 2009, and many fans have complained, but the station refuses to do anything better.

And it doesn't help that CBS is the distributor for the 2 shows (so both of Merv's twins is unlikely to leave WBZ anytime soon) and with WBZ refusing to move either of the 3 over to WSBK, I guess the only option is (if you're lucky enough) buy an antenna that's strong enough to pick up stations from nearby markets such as Providence and others (that's what WBZ is probably assuming is that everybody buys a strong antenna and watches stations such as WPRI and WMUR for Wheel/J!)

The problem is what WBZ doesn't realize is that not everybody has one.

I hope WBZ wakes up and realizes that it was a huge mistake to take the Merv Griffin twins off of WSBK but (as is the case with the TV stations in general) they won't.

If I were in WTIC's shoes I would've picked up Oz, ET/IE and either moved the 2 hour news block to 5-7pm or expanded the news block to 3 hours. Not sure why nobody in Hartford has opted to do any better than not picking them up at all (Dr. Oz) or putting a show in the graveyard shift and forcing people to DVR it if they want to watch it (ET).

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

And it doesn't help that CBS is the distributor for the 2 shows (so both of Merv's twins is unlikely to leave WBZ anytime soon) and with WBZ refusing to move either of the 3 over to WSBK, I guess the only option is (if you're lucky enough) buy an antenna that's strong enough to pick up stations from nearby markets such as Providence and others (that's what WBZ is probably assuming is that everybody buys a strong antenna and watches stations such as WPRI and WMUR for Wheel/J!)

PAA repeats on WSBK over the weekend, so it's totally pointless for them to air it on WBZ anyway. And Jeopardy! does move to WSBK if a tournament episode is pre-empted, but Wheel never does. WBZ even pre-empted a repeat of a Boston-themed episode they sponsored with an offseason PAA this summer. I heard that when the game shows first moved over, they didn't air the Friday episodes at all, except for special Boston-themed episodes of Wheel (that were actually filmed in Boston to promote the move), which would air Saturdays at 7:30, pre-empting Jeopardy! Weekend. Nowadays, you'll never see WBZ pre-empt Jeopardy! unless Wheel is too (although they were forced to pre-empt J! on 12/18/19 during the impeachment since CBS had mandatory national coverage at 7:30 but not 7:00). There was also a brief phase in 2017 or so where they aired the shows at 9:00 and 9:30 AM on Fridays, so I don't know why they can't keep doing it that way.

The game shows don't air on WMUR. Closest neighbor to Boston that airs them besides WPRI is WWLP in Springfield. Fortunately, WPRI is much more accommodating for the game shows. They don't pre-empt either show often, but when they do, they always move to WPRI-DT2 MyTV (usually just Wheel, sometimes both; stations generally favor J! over Wheel; you'll rarely see a station pre-empt J! for a local special but leave Wheel alone, it's usually both shows or just Wheel). Springfield is one of only three markets that do not air the weekend run of Wheel at all (the others being Harrisonburg, VA and Lima, OH), because they have a long-running local show on Saturdays at 7:00 called "Real to Reel", which they claim has been running since before Wheel began offering a weekend run. They don't pre-empt the weekday run often, but when they do (including NFL kickoff this Thursday), they do not make up the show at all.

Wholesale changes at WMYT beginning the 21st according to TV Passport...as Chicago PD and Caught in Providence leave syndication the 18th.

9am Justice With Judge Mablean (Replaced The Real today)

9:30 America’s Court With Judge Ross (Replaced The Real today)

10am The Verdict With Judge Hatchett (moves from 1:30 after just 2 weeks, replaces Chicago PD)

10:30 Supreme Justice With Karen Mills (moves from 2:30 after just 2 weeks, replaces Chicago PD)

11am Divonce Court (moves from 2pm, replaces Access Hollywood)

11:30 Protection Court (moves from 1pm, replaces TMZ)

Noon TMZ (moves from 11:30 am, replaces Access Daily

12:30 Access Hollywood (moves from 11am, replaces Access Daily)

1pm Dateline (Extra run, the run at 7pm remains (replaces Protection Court and Judge Hatchett)

2pm Access Daily (moves from Noon, replaces Divorce Court and Karen Mills)

3pm Kelly Clarkson (Extra run, 10am run remains on WJZY, replaces Caught in Providence 2x)

4pm The Real (moves from 9am, starts the 14th, replaces America Says 2x)

The rest of the day is the same, I don’t look for them to be dropping any infomercials in late night, though they could be picking up Schitt’s Creek the following week.

They were still with FTS when that deal was announced,

So Kelly Clarkson, Dateline, Judge Mablean and Judge Ross end up replacing the cancelled shows. I thought that Divorce Court and Protection Court would once again get double runs starting the 21st but glad to see a Kelly Clarkson repeat. Not a bad redo, except I would’ve flipped Dateline and Access Daily so Access Hollywood could lead into Access Daily. 

Oh and according to TV Passport WJZY is flipping Dr. Oz and 25 Words or Less starting the 21st. 25 Words or Less at Noon and 12:30 and Dr, Oz at 1. 🤔I don’t know about that one.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Nelson R. said:

If it was going to, it would have when Fox still owned it, IMO. 

It is staying put on Cox. The main run will remain on WSOC at 10am, the repeat moves from 1:37 am on WSOC to 6am on WAXN.

My only response is never say never with this market and Fox ownership. It's seems like an odd decision for Cox-owned ABC affiliate in a major market to want to air Wendy Williams right before The View. I doubt it'll be renewed on WSOC once the syndication is up. WJZY is a better fit for the type of demographic that WW attracts. 

1 hour ago, WheelWarrior said:

PAA repeats on WSBK over the weekend, so it's totally pointless for them to air it on WBZ anyway.

See that makes absolutely no sense.

You would think that Patriots All Access would be on WSBK only.

But also at the same time it probably wouldn't had mattered if PAA was on 38 because from what I've been told on Discord, WBZ likes to find any and all excuses to preempt the Merv Griffin shows, you should see the Buy A Vowel boards on how often WBZ preempts Wheel/J! for anything in general (not just the Pats)

I truly feel sorry for the people who live in the Boston market that otherwise doesn't have any other option to explore alternative options in order to watch Wheel/J! on a consistent basis. Those people deserve much better.

I see this turned into a "WBZ Hates Wheel" post so I'll toss in more than a few cents as someone who grew up out of market.

• The woes of WoF/J! in the Boston market lay at the feet of one man: Edmund Ansin. He declined to pick up WHDH's contract to air the two shows and put us on the path the Boston market is now on.
  • I'll always wonder why WBZ didn't pick the two shows up in 2001 rather than put the shows into eight years of being exiled to WSBK. Were ET and Hollywood Squares/The Insider really that important? 
  • The treatment the show had the first three years on WSBK - airing in the 6:00 hour from 2001-03 and the 5:00 hour in the 2003-04 season - did a ton of damage as well. At a time when most timeshifting was still on VHS, it just didn't work and by the time they moved it to the 7:00 hour the damage was done.
  • The move of the two shows to WBZ in 2009 seemed a bit hasty, especially knowing that they were already tied into the deal for Patriots-related programming (that began in 2006). You'd think that even as corporate sisters CBSTD would have seen a good 25-30 preemptions a year in a Top 10 market as a major red flag.
  • The "watch out of market" option just isn't feasible anymore: WMTW got purged in New Hampshire after Hearst took over, WWLP is on one system on the fringe of Worcester County, WNNE (which was on cable as close as Concord NH until the mid 2010s) no longer exists, and most importantly WPRI got purged from systems in Plymouth County/the Cape and Islands the last time Xfinity and Nexstar reupped their deal. Your options besides "DVR overnight" are an antenna or piracy.
  • A lot of these issues could've been avoided if WoF/J! had either been on WBZ all along or had they had moved in 2004 after Hollywood Squares ended. For one, it would've mean that the Patriots would've had to have taken a backseat and your number of preemptions of new episodes would dwindle to All Access before a Thursday night game or preseason when both are in reruns anyway.
  • The garbage treatment WoF/J! get in Boston is foreign to just about anywhere else I've been. The three stations I grew up with them on (WABC, WTNH, WTEN) probably preempt them less combined in a year than WBZ does on its own. Heck, during the Fall of 2014 - when CBS had TNF and WBZ hosted political debates for several races, there were weeks where Jeopardy was airing in pattern twice in a five show week!
  • Punting them to WSBK on Fridays would make perfect sense...if it wasn't for reruns of The Big Bang Theory having the highest ratings in the market at that time of something not called Wheel, Jeopardy!, or Chronicle (WCVB's 7:00 may be here now too to be fair). Yes, somehow a show with tons of reruns elsewhere can't be thrown overboard for one night save for the J! ToC. Bazinga!
  • Remember during the outset of COVID when ABC O&O's were preempting Wheel reruns with WNT replays and people complained? Welcome to Boston any week from August to February. Even moving to WFXT, an option not possible in 2001, would result in less preemptions if other ET/CT Fox stations with the pair (WALA, WBFF, WSYT, WVUE, WXIX) come to mind.

For a market with this many issues, it's amazing that the only syndicated shows with no clearance are the Atlanta-based MGM/Orion court shows and the only things with a really bad clearance are anything Byron Allen less Funny You Should Ask. At least Boston isn't Hartford with multiple vanity projects at 7:30, syndication pioneers in overnights, multiple shows not cleared, unnecessary double runs, and the same Catholic Mass on two stations at the same time.

9 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

If I were in WTIC's shoes I would've picked up Oz, ET/IE and either moved the 2 hour news block to 5-7pm or expanded the news block to 3 hours. Not sure why nobody in Hartford has opted to do any better than not picking them up at all (Dr. Oz) or putting a show in the graveyard shift and forcing people to DVR it if they want to watch it (ET).

On this note, two shows that lacked Hartford clearances finally have homes thanks to the Tegna duo! They might have passed on Dr. Oz and ET, but they picked up Right This Minute (WTIC, 3:00 AM hour) and 25 Words or Less (WCCT, 4:00 AM hour).

Boston may have issues with two shows but Hartford seems to be an all-around mess. In fact, it seems like the whole lower half of New England has issues somehow (Springfield's ignorance of NBCU product, Providence and WLNE).

2 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

The garbage treatment WoF/J! get in Boston is foreign to just about anywhere else I've been. The three stations I grew up with them on (WABC, WTNH, WTEN) probably preempt them less combined in a year than WBZ does on its own. Heck, during the Fall of 2014 - when CBS had TNF and WBZ hosted political debates for several races, there were weeks where Jeopardy was airing in pattern twice in a five show week!

WBZ pre-empts Wheel about twice as often as J!. Most of the non-NFL-season affairs are only half an hour and they always choose J! over Wheel, even if it means moving it to Wheel's time slot.

Also, WBZ moved J! to 7:00 during TNF ever since they started carrying it in 2014, according to a local Wheel fan back then, so Wheel would have been the one only airing twice a week. https://buyavowel.boards.net/post/59340/thread

Not only that, but once the pandemic started, WBZ began airing infomercials at 7:00 and 7:30 on most Saturdays (except for July 4), relegating Wheel and J! Weekend to 12:35 and 1:05 AM. Though infomercials in those time slots seems to be a recent trend with the CBS O&O's. WCBS began doing that (pre-empting ET Weekend to 5:00 AM Sundays) several weeks before WBZ started doing it.

8 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

What is going on with Personal Injury Court?  Wasn't that show renewed?  Its Wikipedia page says it has been cancelled.

I haven't seen it on any fall schedules and its social media has been dormant since early March. Turn out the lights ...

16 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

What is going on with Personal Injury Court?  Wasn't that show renewed?  Its Wikipedia page says it has been cancelled.

It's continuing on WLNY, but it's being reduced from two runs to one starting 9/14, and only repeats are airing for now.

27 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

9 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

It's continuing on WLNY, but it's being reduced from two runs to one starting 9/14, and only repeats are airing for now.

In Charlotte it was picked up by WHKY. An locally owned home shoppping and religious channel out of Hickory with their own 5:30 and 10pm newscasts. I don’t know why they even bothered. That’s their only syndicated program. Listings still show it airing at 5.

A very noticable change will occur in WLNY's lineup starting next week.

The Judge Judy repeat that has aired at the 10pm hour since like the late-90s (several years before CBS took over the station), is being replaced by a repeat of Drew Barrymore's talk show.

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

A very noticable change will occur in WLNY's lineup starting next week.

The Judge Judy repeat that has aired at the 10pm hour since like the late-90s (several years before CBS took over the station), is being replaced by a repeat of Drew Barrymore's talk show.

Probably since the series premiere. A bunch of 1997 Wheel of Fortune recordings from WLNY have been surfacing online these past few months and some of them have promos for Judge Judy at 10:00.

Where did you see this, though? My listings have the Drew repeats at 8:00 PM (bumping the Dr. Phil repeat to 5:00 AM the next day), and the Judy's still at 10. Although annoyingly, Xfinity still lists them as the same episodes that air at 4:00 on WCBS even though they're not.

12 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

Where did you see this, though? My listings have the Drew repeats at 8:00 PM (bumping the Dr. Phil repeat to 5:00 AM the next day), and the Judy's still at 10. Although annoyingly, Xfinity still lists them as the same episodes that air at 4:00 on WCBS even though they're not.

This TitanTV guide. Go on the 14th.

Anyone in the Peoria-Bloomington-Normal market here? Wondering about Judge Judy. Listings for the next few weeks show double-runs at 6 and 8 p.m. on WAOE, but also on WYZZ at 6:30 and 9 a.m. and 3-4 p.m. I previously lived in two markets adjacent to Peoria and was wondering what was happening.

Archived