2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

2 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Hot Bench is not listed at all in the NYC DMA beyond 9/11. I have Xfinity, which shows TV listings up to 23 days in advance.

Guides can change in the days leading up to. It's interesting Barrymore is occupying these timeslots currently occupied by Hot Bench (9am on WCBS, 2pm on WBBM). I would watch carefully were Hot Bench would end up, or if they're even coming back. Because I didn't hear them saying Hot Bench is cancelled. And you would think WLNY would room for the show once Barrymore launches.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, Roadrunner said:

I believe the promo included in the article indicates KCBS will air Drew at 2PM, which should displace Funny You Should Ask.

Other notes for Drew:

- Not that this is news anymore, but in Baltimore and Minneapolis, WJZ (WMAR instead) and WCCO (KARE instead) aren't airing it. What's the history behind CBSTVD shows on those, besides also having more non-CBS-cookie-cutter-style news operations?

- In Washington, it will air on WJLA at 3PM, which displaces Hot Bench. 

Wheel of Fortune is CBSTVD and only three of the CBS O&O's carry it: KTVT in Dallas, WCCO in Minneapolis, and WBZ in Boston (which pre-empts it very frequently for local specials and its local Patriots show).

It's also worth noting that all three of these stations no longer air WOF Weekend in their usual slot; they all moved it in favor of infomercials. Dallas now airs it on KTXA Saturdays at 6:30 PM Central, WCCO Sundays at 3:30 AM Central, and WBZ Sundays at 12:35 AM Eastern (with Jeopardy! Weekend at 1:05). WCBS also moved ET Weekend out of the 7:00 PM hour several months ago and now only airs infomercials there. ET Weekend now airs Saturdays at 5:00 PM if the hour is available, and also Sundays at 5:00 AM, as well as Saturdays at 11:00 PM on WLNY.

According to the television guide—In NYC, looks like Maury is moving to WWOR, which is surprising given that the ratings I thought were always pretty good for PIX 11...and it’s been on channel 11 for probably 20 years, give or take.  Repeats at noon, new episodes at 4pm.  Surprising that FOX 5 doesn’t air the new episodes rather than the lower rated syndicated shows they air.  

1 hour ago, Colortini said:

According to the television guide—In NYC, looks like Maury is moving to WWOR, which is surprising given that the ratings I thought were always pretty good for PIX 11...and it’s been on channel 11 for probably 20 years, give or take.  Repeats at noon, new episodes at 4pm.  Surprising that FOX 5 doesn’t air the new episodes rather than the lower rated syndicated shows they air.  

I'm surprised Maury is leaving WPIX. The show has been on there for quite a few years. I used to get WPIX on Dish for customers who didn't have a CW affiliate using the superstations package. They had all the drama talk shows, Maury, Springer & Wilkos, all airing one right after the other with Maury running two back-to back episodes. This was back in 2010.

18 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

WMYT and WAXN have some changes starting September 7.

WMYT:

9am Justice With Judge Mabelean (replaces The Real)

9:30 America’s Court With Judge Ross (replaces The Real)

1:30 The Verdict With Judge Hatchett (replaces one run of Protection Court)

2:30 Supreme Justice With Judge Karen Mills (replaces one run of Divorce Court)

Early morning changes on WAXN. 

5am Right This Minute (replaces Pawn Stars)

6am Wendy Williams (replaces double run of Right This Minute), this repeat was previously on WSOC at 1:37 am, it moves from the very end to the beginning of the broadcast day

More changes to come on WMYT when Chicago PD, Caught in Providence and America Says disappear. I am surprised that The Real has been removed from their schedule, that is quite a downgrade at 9am, I wonder if it is changing stations? But I bet WJZY/WMYT got Nick Cannon. I saw a promo for Kelly Clarkson and Dr. Oz on WJZY last night but not The Real, hmmm? I hope the single run of Divorce Court is just temporary.

And more changes to come on WAXN when Mel Robbins and The Game disappear.

TV Passport nor TV Guide have updated the changes, WSOC will probably have something else at 1:37 am now. 

I’ll have any late night changes later.

No late night changes the week of September 7 if the listings are correct. Apparently the 1:37 am Wendy Williams repeat is staying on WSOC at least for a week. That makes three Wendy Williams runs in Charlotte for at least a week.

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I thought they cut the syndie feed of that show........

There was a spreadsheet someone leaked on another forum showing that Cops will continue to be offered throughout next season. It also said Judge Judy reruns will be offered for at least two seasons after it ends.

Live PD is done, however. There's also "Sheriffs El Dorado County", which not many markets pulled in the police controversy, but it generally doesn't have favorable time slots anymore, anyway. The show's original station, KTXL in Sacramento, used to air it Saturday nights at 6:00 (9:00 if FOX had a sporting event that night) and Sunday nights at 11:00. It now airs late Sunday nights/Monday mornings at 1:00 and 1:30 AM.

On 8/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, tw-804 said:

...and plus, they can't get rid of WCCO Mid-Morning.

Plus where will KARE 11 put Drew? KARE has Daily Blast Live at 2pm, Inside Edition at 3pm, Entertainment Tonight at 3:30 (yes, ET at 3:30 in the afternoon!), the 4pm news and Jeopardy at 4:30.

I always thought ET had a mandate that it had to be aired in the prime access hour, like Wheel of Fortune does. Do any other US markets air ET earlier than 7:00 ET?

16 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

I always thought ET had a mandate that it had to be aired in the prime access hour, like Wheel of Fortune does. Do any other US markets air ET earlier than 7:00 ET?

WCWG in the Triad does at 9:30am but it’s probably a repeat of the previous night’s episode. It became a sister to WXII a few years ago. WXII airs it at 7:30.

6 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

WCWG in the Triad does at 9:30am but it’s probably a repeat of the previous night’s episode. It became a sister to WXII a few years ago. 

Yeah, it has to be if it's that early. Zap2It lists it as the same episode that airs on WXII at 7:30 PM, but it's very likely an encore of the previous weekday's episode. Although ET, along with Inside Edition, TMZ, and Extra, only have one episode per day, stations can opt to air them a second time (or even a third time for the latter two) in late night or in daytime the following day. WNYW in New York airs the same Extra three times across two days; I don't believe WNBC aired it more than once when they carried it. Interesting that WXII/WCWG don't appear to carry the weekend run of ET, unless that's just because of several NBC sporting events over the next few weekends.

In researching that, I found another one: WRAZ (FOX) in Raleigh airs it at 6:00 PM ET (and again at 11:00 PM).

4 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

Yeah, it has to be if it's that early. Zap2It lists it as the same episode that airs on WXII at 7:30 PM, but it's very likely an encore of the previous weekday's episode. Although ET, along with Inside Edition, TMZ, and Extra, only have one episode per day, stations can opt to air them a second time (or even a third time for the latter two) in late night or in daytime the following day. WNYW in New York airs the same Extra three times across two days; I don't believe WNBC aired it more than once when they carried it. Interesting that WXII/WCWG don't appear to carry the weekend run of ET, unless that's just because of several NBC sporting events over the next few weekends.

In researching that, I found another one: WRAZ (FOX) in Raleigh airs it at 6:00 PM ET (and again at 11:00 PM).

Yeah, Capitol moved it over to WRAZ when WRAL started their 7:00 newscast when the pandemic hit and then made it permanent. In turn WRAL moved Inside Edition from 7 to 7:30.

WCWG also airs Inside Edition at 9am before ET.

I didn’t realize WXII/WCWG don’t clear the weekend ET.

And a random thought...I wonder if the weekend Inside Edition will ever expand to an hour? I can’t recall many entertainment/newsmagazines whose weekend editions haven’t been an hour. I don’t think Hard Copy had a weekend edition?

And back when WBTV had Inside Edition in the early 90s I don’t think they cleared Inside Edition Weekend. They didn’t clear the weekend Jeopardy and Wheel when they had those rights in the 80s either.🤔

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

And a random thought...I wonder if the weekend Inside Edition will ever expand to an hour? I can’t recall many entertainment/newsmagazines whose weekend editions haven’t been an hour.

I could have sworn IE Weekend was an hour until this season or last. I remember noticing that WLIO in Lima, Ohio didn't carry Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy! on weekends and was wondering what they aired Saturdays at 7:00 instead. It said they aired IE Weekend, and I could have sworn it filled the whole hour on the listings. Though earlier this year, I noticed on my own local listings that IE Weekend is currently only half an hour, so I checked WLIO's listings again, and while they still show IE Weekend at 7:00, they now show Mom at 7:30.

Not sure when this started, but WABC in NY is now airing encores of Live with Kelly & Ryan weeknights at 1:07 AM. Daytime Jeopardy! is now moved to 2:05 AM, and the Tamron Hall encore is now at 3:05 after the World News Tonight encore. Previously, DJ! was at 1:07, then Tamron at 1:37. I don't remember what aired at 3:05 and 3:35; I believe WABC did not air ABC World News Now, unless maybe they aired it only partially.

19 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

And a random thought...I wonder if the weekend Inside Edition will ever expand to an hour? I can’t recall many entertainment/newsmagazines whose weekend editions haven’t been an hour.

The weekend edition of Meredith's upcoming People newsmagazine is only 30 minutes. The title of that show, BTW, is now People (the TV Show!). Yes, including the exclamation point.

4 hours ago, ScottJ said:

The weekend edition of Meredith's upcoming People newsmagazine is only 30 minutes. The title of that show, BTW, is now People (the TV Show!). Yes, including the exclamation point.

And unfortunately for Nancy O'Dell, Catt Sadler, or Kristine Leahy...neither of them got the hosting job (but Jeremy Parsons has been retained); it has went to Kay Adams and Lawrence K. Jackson.

30 minutes ago, johnnya2k6 said:

And unfortunately for Nancy O'Dell, Catt Sadler, or Kristine Leahy...neither of them got the hosting job (but Jeremy Parsons has been retained); it has went to Kay Adams and Lawrence K. Jackson.

It's only going out to Meredith stations, so that may be by design while they tighten to the right format (and//or hopefully, murder that insultingly cutesy title suffix); if it gets larger-market pickup, expect the host caliber to go up in the next season or two.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, plzstandby said:

In Kansas City Jeopardy is moving from KSHB to WDAF and will air at 2pm partially replacing Mel. Could be a double run with daytime Jeopardy running at 2:30.

This is pretty fitting considering WDAF airs Wheel of Fortune (at 6:30 of course; there is only one market in the entire Central Time Zone that doesn't air it at 6:30 - KVHP in Lake Charles, LA airs it at 6:00).

Generally, stations that do double-run J! air the "Daytime" one first and the "new" one second, but it's still very plausible that they'll double-run it even if they show the main one first. Of course, they could be referring to an hour block at 2:00 PM and not just one episode. If they do double run J!, or at least carry Daytime J! in some form, I hope that they use the slot for Daytime J! to make-good Wheel of Fortune since it gets pre-empted by Thursday Night Football and World Series, but I doubt it. It's very rare for a station to air Wheel in the afternoon when pre-empted instead of overnight or not at all. Currently, WDAF has been airing Wheel at 11:00 PM on Thursdays this summer with MLB games (and they do not push it back further when the game runs long); WOF Weekend airs Sunday afternoons when there's MLB on Saturdays.

Drew Barrymore times in Michigan:
WWJ (CBS, O&O, Detroit): 4pm and 3am

WXMI (Fox, Scripps, Grand Rapids): 10am and 2am

WJRT (ABC, Gray, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City): 3pm

WTVG (ABC, Gray, Toledo): 9am on DT2 (The CW) and 3pm on the main channel

WSYM (Fox, Scripps, Lansing): 9am on the main channel and 12am on DT4 (MyNet)

WPBN/WTOM (NBC, Sinclair, Traverse City-Cadillac-Alpena): 2pm

WLUC (NBC, Gray, Marquette): TBA

On 8/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, plzstandby said:

In Kansas City Jeopardy is moving from KSHB to WDAF and will air at 2pm partially replacing Mel. Could be a double run with daytime Jeopardy running at 2:30.

It will indeed be a double run. New ep at 2:00, Daytime ep at 2:30.

It will also apparently be continuing to air on KMCI "The Spot" at 4:30 AM according to Zap2It, but this may not be accurate since they're a sister to KSHB. KC must be the only market that carries three Jeopardy! airings a day, and yet there are no markets at all that carry more than one Wheel of Fortune airing a day unless there's some kind of mixup.

Archived