2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mrschimpf said:

Thomas Roberts will host DailyMailTV starting in September, taking over for Jesse Palmer. No word if it's moving out of the WPIX arrangement in the article or staying put. 

I really can see it moving over to WAXN this fall, it will need to replace Mel Robbins and I can see them airing a double run in daytime. Currently only one run airs on WSOC after the second Jimmy Kimmel at 1:07am.

19 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So they're going to keep the Big Bang repeats as a lead in?

If so that is really strange to have an off-net sitcom to lead into the newscast. Unless its Andy Griffith, which they got rid of........

Apparently so.  Originally, it was the news lead-in at 4pm with an hour of Family Feud at 3pm.  They picked it up when Steve Harvey took over in 2010, and lost it to WEAR and WPMI last fall.  The shows flip-flopped several years later, likely when Feud was rising in the ratings...

WPMI bumped Judge Judy back to 3pm, and WEAR used Feud to replace Millionaire at 6:30.

Andy Griffith still airs on WFNA for an hour at 5pm....it got the Portland Perry Mason treatment when it was bumped off the main channel to the secondary one after a long run...

(well not nearly as long as KPTV ran Perry Mason at noon, but it seemed that way)

I think The King of Queens, Seinfeld, Family Feud and The Goldbergs are all staying where they are on WAXN (at 5/5:30, 6/6:30, 8-10 and 11-midnight) as they just debuted a new promo for all four shows, with no mention of any of them changing time slots. 

I'm surprised that Central Avenue website hasn't listed where it will air on the weekends other than it's test run with some Fox O&O's last fall.

Maury was on Lin TV stations in West Michigan for 20 years was on Wood TV for 2 or 3 years before moving to sister station WOTV in 93 or 94 until early 2000's before moving to WXSP in 02 or 03 before Tribune took Maury in 2011 and has been on WXMI Fox17 since.

On 8/14/2020 at 8:40 AM, plzstandby said:

In Kansas City Jeopardy is moving from KSHB to WDAF and will air at 2pm partially replacing Mel. Could be a double run with daytime Jeopardy running at 2:30.

Hello. Fascinating. What will happen to the Wheel of Fortune? Would that move to WDAF Fox 4 as well or remain where it is--on KSHB 41?

12 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm surprised that Central Avenue website hasn't listed where it will air on the weekends other than it's test run with some Fox O&O's last fall.

Maury was on Lin TV stations in West Michigan for 20 years was on Wood TV for 2 or 3 years before moving to sister station WOTV in 93 or 94 until early 2000's before moving to WXSP in 02 or 03 before Tribune took Maury in 2011 and has been on WXMI Fox17 since.

https://centralavetv.com/ as you might’ve seen on Radio Discussions

14 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

Hello. Fascinating. What will happen to the Wheel of Fortune? Would that move to WDAF Fox 4 as well or remain where it is--on KSHB 41?

Wheel is already on WDAF, at 6:30. They have a 6:00 newscast so I don’t think they will be paired together but at least they will be on the same station. They also have Family Feud at 3 and 3:30.

15 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

36 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Wheel is already on WDAF, at 6:30. 

KC was one of the markets where both shows aired on different stations.

Speaking of these two shows, they've started back taping new shows earlier this month. Both shows have made some set alterations to provide spacing between the contestants.

In Wheel of Fortune, Deadline understands that the wheel has been redesigned to provide proper social distancing between contestants.

Over on Jeopardy!, the stage has been slightly redesigned to allow for more space between the three contestant podiums. The contestants will also be at a safe distance from host Alex Trebek at his lectern.

These new shows will be the first under new Executive Producer Mike Richards. As longtime EP Harry Friedman retired back in May.

Central time is less forgiving to having Wheel and Jeopardy air back-to-back, let alone of the same station.  Jeopardy! usually gets bumped to another time, while Wheel gets the 6:30 slot.

Notable exceptions include Fox affiliates WALA and WVUE, who have aired them back-to-back in the 6pm hour, since they were former "Big 3" affiliates, and don't do a 6pm news (but do one at 5:30).

WLOX counter-programs on their CBS sub-channel, where Jeopardy! airs at 6:00 and they have a 6:30 news, while their main ABC channel does the 6pm news and Wheel at 6:30.

17 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Notable exceptions include Fox affiliates WALA and WVUE, who have aired them back-to-back in the 6pm hour, since they were former "Big 3" affiliates, and don't do a 6pm news (but do one at 5:30).

Add Weigel's WDJT to that list. They've been doing this practice since the shows left WTMJ.

Colorado Springs' CBS outlet  KKTV's also air Wheel/J! on the 6pm hour. But shockingly Wheel comes on before J!

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Add Weigel's WDJT to that list. They've been doing this practice since the shows left WTMJ.

Colorado Springs' CBS outlet  KKTV's also air Wheel/J! on the 6pm hour. But shockingly Wheel comes on before J!

So Jeopardy!/Wheel must be the norm for most places.  Growing up in the Cleveland area, WEWS had them the other way around for their entire time there, and that carried over to WOIO when they picked them up.

WYTV did the same, and that carried over to when both shows moved over to WKBN.

Stations like WDJT are the benefactor of Scripps dumping the shows.  Probably gets way better ratings than a 6pm newscast ever would there.

1 minute ago, tyrannical bastard said:

So Jeopardy!/Wheel must be the norm for most places.  Growing up in the Cleveland area, WEWS had them the other way around for their entire time there, and that carried over to WOIO when they picked them up.

WYTV did the same, and that carried over to when both shows moved over to WKBN.

Stations like WDJT are the benefactor of Scripps dumping the shows.  Probably gets way better ratings than a 6pm newscast ever would there.

Well TMJ was the Journal flagship at the time the shows moved in fall 2005. 

The last time 58 carried a weekday 6pm was prior to the fall of 2003 when they started airing Ellen's new talk show on that timeslot.

It's still rare to see a Central/Mountain station airing one of those shows (Wheel/J!) in lieu of their local 6:00pm-cast.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Stations like WDJT are the benefactor of Scripps Journal dumping the shows.  Probably gets way better ratings than a 6pm newscast ever would there.

WDJT outspent WTMJ to carry them because 'TMJ was expanding their news wherever they could and was willing to take the risk (and the 3pm syndicated half-hour between Montel and J! was stuck with lousy one/two-season Hard Copy/Inside Edition clones that had horrible flow but need a station to go in the market). A few months after, Ken Jennings comes on the show, the ratings rise, but by September 2005, WDJT realized the bump more than 'TMJ did when they had the entire Jennings run on. And that was just at the time Journal got distracted with their acquisitions, a 'bleed it leads' news direction came in, and the hard news folks began to flee for other stations before the Great Recession wounded WTMJ and WGBA until Scripps came in and tried to fix the atrophy.

WFRV had the same luck at the same in the Green Bay market; bad 3pm show into J!, but Emmis/WLUK were moving out of their early 2000s funk, spent the money to get J!/WoF, CBS basically ignored full-day flow for WFRV before the sale to Liberty (which had no pull with syndicators), and WLUK now basically owns the market post-soaps up to Fox primetime (Ellen, Judge Judy, 5pm local newshour, then J!/WoF). Whatever you say about Sinclair, at least they've maintained WLUK's success overall.

Meanwhile, WFRV has the season's syndie bomb terminally since 2005 in that 3pm slot (outside a few years with Steve) but Nexstar has pretty much given up on the timeslot to build their news back out of the Liberty-era doldrums, and WTMJ had finally found success at 3 with Kelly before mid-March when they had to throw on a newscast to deal with briefing pre-emptions to move it back to 2 and make do with an easily-killable The List, then Live at 3:30.

9 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

WDJT outspent WTMJ to carry them because 'TMJ was expanding their news wherever they could and was willing to take the risk (and the 3pm syndicated half-hour between Montel and J! was stuck with lousy one/two-season Hard Copy/Inside Edition clones that had horrible flow but need a station to go in the market). A few months after, Ken Jennings comes on the show, the ratings rise, but by September 2005, WDJT realized the bump more than 'TMJ did when they had the entire Jennings run on. And that was just at the time Journal got distracted with their acquisitions, a 'bleed it leads' news direction came in, and the hard news folks began to flee for other stations before the Great Recession wounded WTMJ and WGBA until Scripps came in and tried to fix the atrophy.

WFRV had the same luck at the same in the Green Bay market; bad 3pm show into J!, but Emmis/WLUK were moving out of their early 2000s funk, spent the money to get J!/WoF, CBS basically ignored full-day flow for WFRV before the sale to Liberty (which had no pull with syndicators), and WLUK now basically owns the market post-soaps up to Fox primetime (Ellen, Judge Judy, 5pm local newshour, then J!/WoF). Whatever you say about Sinclair, at least they've maintained WLUK's success overall.

Meanwhile, WFRV has the season's syndie bomb terminally since 2005 in that 3pm slot (outside a few years with Steve) but Nexstar has pretty much given up on the timeslot to build their news back out of the Liberty-era doldrums, and WTMJ had finally found success at 3 with Kelly before mid-March when they had to throw on a newscast to deal with briefing pre-emptions to move it back to 2 and make do with an easily-killable The List, then Live at 3:30.

For years both WFRV and WTMJ preempted Wheel once and then twice a week (after WTMJ and WFRV got the Packers preseason rights) for Green Bay Packers programming for a huge chunk of the year. Anything Packers = big money for the stations and 6:30 pm was the best place for the show(s). In the 90's and the early 2000's syndicators and stations routinely got deals that would last for several years, now it's regularly a couple of years. Talk to veterans of both stations and some of the biggest complains those stations ever received was when Wheel was preempted even though the Packers stuff would regularly out rate Wheel. It's not the only factor why Wheel and Jeopardy are no longer on both stations but the frequent preemptions was likely a contributing factor. Rarely does WDJT preempt or break into both Wheel or Jeopardy and for like the two times they have WMLW will air the shows in the same time slot.  

In 2005 WDJT news ratings were barely a 1.0 and had the weakest syndication product in the market between the big 4 stations. If you want to increase your stations ratings by either spending on the news department or spending on the top syndication programs, by far the least risky choice is syndication, especially when you have CBS breathing down your neck wanting you to increase the lead-ins for prime time programming. It's been suggested before that the advertising money that WDJT gets for the 6pm hour doesn't cover the cost for the syndication rights for both programs for the size the Milwaukee market is in. because of WTMJ's and WISN's strong heritage in the market there are certain advertisers that stick with them, WDJT and even WITI to a smaller certain extent just can't get.

Admittedly, the last time I saw an updated BIA/Kelsey report for Milwaukee (they estimated stations and market revenue) was in 2013, right after Tribune bought WITI and a year before Scripps bought WTMJ, WTMJ and WISN were around 40 million each, WITI was around 35 million and the rest of the market (Sinclair, Weigel...) was 20 million total. I think some will agree WTMJ's downfall was much earlier than that and WDJT was and is seeing an uptick.  Things have likely change in the last 7 years, but from a revenue standpoint there is no clear descending point for WTMJ and likewise an ascending point for WDJT. 

20 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Central time is less forgiving to having Wheel and Jeopardy air back-to-back, let alone of the same station.  Jeopardy! usually gets bumped to another time, while Wheel gets the 6:30 slot.

WLOX counter-programs on their CBS sub-channel, where Jeopardy! airs at 6:00 and they have a 6:30 news, while their main ABC channel does the 6pm news and Wheel at 6:30.

Also KDVR in Denver airs Jeopardy at 6 and Wheel at 6:30, they got them from KMGH when Scripps stations let them go to air The List and Let’s Ask America back in 2012.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Roadrunner said:

In other news, KDKA in Pittsburgh is ditching Extra (7:30PM) for a new newscast at that time (with a focus on happy/light news), beginning on August 17. I think this applies to this thread? I believe this means Extra will need a new home if it wants to be shown in the day/primetime? 1:37AM reruns sure don't garner many views.

This is That Inaugural newscast that Replaced Extra at 7:30 PM on August 17th.

My thoughts: Meghan Schiller did a good job here but I don't know if I will continue watching, Not a fan of the light news format. I hope we see better stories in the future, This is just a news version of their lifestyle show Pittsburgh Today Live. I give it a 6-10.

2 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Not a fan of the light news format. I hope we see better stories in the future, This is just a news version of their lifestyle show Pittsburgh Today Live. I give it a 6-10.

I think KDKA specifically tried something light to not make viewers find the adjustment from Extra so jarring in terms of content. If anything, I feel they should've added some of the new (or a different cut of the) Enforcer package. I think they could also try and make the interviews work, and maybe if they build on that, make it like a "Pittsburgh in-depth" that could get some hard news viewers? (but that's...probably not their goal. It's all about the ad dollars, right?) Anyways...all of this effort and not even bringing back some sort of retuned Evening Magazine? We've seen some sort of resurgence of lifestyle-oriented "news-ish/talk" in the latter half of the last decade and I feel like the concept could reemerge this decade.

When WFLD started their 4pm newscast two weeks ago they added two runs of Family Feud at 3 and 3:30 leading into it. This is in addition to WPWR’s four airings from 5-7 assuming listings are correct. I am sure this will just be until September, but still, how did Chicago get six airings of Feud even temporarily?

Just now, Nelson R. said:

When WFLD started their 4pm newscast two weeks ago they added two runs of Family Feud at 3 and 3:30 leading into it. This is in addition to WPWR’s four airings from 5-7 assuming listings are correct. I am sure this will just be until September, but still, how did Chicago get six airings of Feud even temporarily?

In Mobile-Pensacola, it airs on THREE local stations right now.  An hour at 4pm on WPMI, a half-hour at 6:30 on WEAR, and a second run at 9pm on WPMI's sister station WJTC.   WPMI and WJTC are Deerfield stations, while WEAR (and WFGX) are owned by Sinclair outright.  Because of this, how can they allow two programmers to air the show in the same market?

14 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In Mobile-Pensacola, it airs on THREE local stations right now.  An hour at 4pm on WPMI, a half-hour at 6:30 on WEAR, and a second run at 9pm on WPMI's sister station WJTC.   WPMI and WJTC are Deerfield stations, while WEAR (and WFGX) are owned by Sinclair outright.  Because of this, how can they allow two programmers to air the show in the same market?

I guess it is going from one company to the other and the syndication contracts are overlapping. That happened when Big Bang Theory moved from WCCB to WJZY/WMYT two years ago. It aired on all 3 stations in Charlotte. But that was only for one week. Or maybe the listings were wrong.

Archived