2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

2 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

WCCO would have had to displace Ellen to air it so there's that. Only time will tell if that was a good call.

...and plus, they can't get rid of WCCO Mid-Morning.

Plus where will KARE 11 put Drew? KARE has Daily Blast Live at 2pm, Inside Edition at 3pm, Entertainment Tonight at 3:30 (yes, ET at 3:30 in the afternoon!), the 4pm news and Jeopardy at 4:30.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Plus where will KARE 11 put Drew? KARE has Daily Blast Live at 2pm, Inside Edition at 3pm, Entertainment Tonight at 3:30 (yes, ET at 3:30 in the afternoon!), the 4pm news and Jeopardy at 4:30.

They'll probably demote DBL to overnight.  

Keep in mind, Tamron Hall wasn't cleared here in this market. 

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I know this may be a question that @rkolsen can answer but why hasn't WJZ shown Maury the door?

If I were the GM of WJZ I would've shown Maury the door a long time ago.

It's appauling that in 2020 we still have some Big 3 network affiliates airing a show that clearly belongs on another station not on a Big 3 affiliate (Maury)

WJZ is an original affiliate of Maury. WBFF/WNUV would be a suitable home for him, considering they already have Wilkos and Judge Jerry.

1 hour ago, tw-804 said:

Are Mid-Morning's ratings really that stellar? It's the newbie in the time slot vs. Today, Kelly/Ryan, and Fox9 Buzz. That said, have any Minneapolis ratings been published lately?

2 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Minneapolis is one of I believe two markets where ET is cleared in the afternoon (San Antonio is the other one largely because both KARE and KSAT does hour long newscasts in the 6pm hour)

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

WJZ is an original affiliate of Maury. WBFF/WNUV would be a suitable home for him, considering they already have Wilkos and Judge Jerry.

The only logical reason that I can think of for WJZ not dumping Maury is because of the fact that CBS (which WJZ is owned by) and Paramount are co-owned plus the original Paramount Television was the first distributor for Maury when it first began in the 90s.

Btw, wasn't Paramount still the distributor for Maury when Viacom bought CBS (and WJZ) or didn't Universal took over before that?

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I mentioned "some" I didn't mention who else that still air Maury to this day that's still a big three affiliate in fact I was referring to WVLA and KDNL when I mentioned some

Despite KDNL's ABC affiliation, airing there makes kind of sense given that station's sordid history.

At least with Jerry Springer, it was mostly off the big-three stations by the late 90s-early 2000s.

At one time, I vaguely remember when his show relaunched into Maury in the late 90s, he was going to "change his ways".....

Since then it's been the endless barrage of

"...THAT WAS A LIE!" 

"YOU ARE THE FATHER!"

Back to Drew Barrymore, WUAB, NOT WOIO aired a promo announcing that they’re airing her talk show in the 5pm slot on September 14th. Not surprising WOIO didn’t take it considering almost every talk show that goes to 19 USUALLY BOMBS WITHIN TWO SEASONS. 

If Barrymore has any modicum of success, Gray may move it to WOIO to bolster the newscasts but take it with a grain of salt.

55 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Despite KDNL's ABC affiliation, airing there makes kind of sense given that station's sordid history.

At least with Jerry Springer, it was mostly off the big-three stations by the late 90s-early 2000s.

At one time, I vaguely remember when his show relaunched into Maury in the late 90s, he was going to "change his ways".....

Since then it's been the endless barrage of

"...THAT WAS A LIE!" 

"YOU ARE THE FATHER!"

Plus given the way KDNL runs nowadays that makes sense.

WVLA is probably also understandable considering Baton Rouge, Baltimore however is questionable in spite of WJZ having carried Maury since the launch.

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Baltimore however is questionable in spite of WJZ having carried Maury since the launch.

Fully thing is that WJZ didn't have Maury from the launch. WBAL aired it at the launch, then it went to WMAR by some point in the first half of 1994 where it stayed until mid 1999 at the earliest. This covers the entire time under Paramount through the first year of StudiosUSA though for WMAR's last couple of years it was airing in overnights.

Maury in general circa 2000 had a massive realignment of stations going from Big 3 to netlets and some Fox affiliates. What I wonder is outside being able to outbid Sinclair and United 20+ years ago how WJZ got the rights when just about every other market was going the other way. I know Tribune signed a deal with Maury in 2000 which accelerated the station roster change; if memory serves me right save for New York (where WPIX took it at the start in 2000) and Hartford (where WVIT had it for a year between WFSB and WTIC) most then-Tribune markets picked up Maury en masse that year.

4 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

I thought it was being cancelled, until I saw the spreadsheet from Katz.

3 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

More detail from THR here; this is both tactic that CBSTVD no longer wants to pay five doctors for Byron Allen court show ratings (and since Ian was a Viacom standby the other side wants to push him now), and that we may see more of this promotional type of hosting in the future if it's successful.

1 minute ago, mrschimpf said:

More detail from THR here; this is both tactic that CBSTVD no longer wants to pay five doctors for Byron Allen court show ratings (and since Ian was a Viacom standby the other side wants to push him now), and that we may see more of this promotional type of hosting in the future if it's successful.

Haven't watched in ages, although it is cleared by the ABC affil at 2p here. Seems like they could have gained some respectability, as Dr. Oz did for a brief time, with COVID updates instead of slogging in reruns.

It seems that many new (and long-established) syndicated talk shows are ending up on secondary stations simply because the primary ones keep adding newscasts, lifestyle shows, and other in-house (or in-company) content that's way cheaper to do in-house (and allows near or total control of the ad time).  Why risk a time on the schedule for a show that could bomb in a year or two?

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Deadline provides an additional detail on The Doctor's reformatting. The show will be switching coasts, leaving its long-time L.A. home for "a new state-of-the-art East Coast studio." 

6 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

Deadline provides an additional detail on The Doctor's reformatting. The show will be switching coasts, leaving its long-time L.A. home for "a new state-of-the-art East Coast studio." 

In Stamford, CT...which is yet another successful feather in the cap for those Connecticut tax credits. We thought they were odd when NBC took them years ago, but now pretty much everything in daytime that doesn't need a 'name' host or to be in LA has made the move to Fairfield County.

Looks like Family Feud has resumed production, they are moving it back to Atlanta and is limiting it to local families. I didn’t realize they ever filmed in Atlanta. https://www.11alive.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/the-a-scene/family-feud-moves-production-back-to-atlanta/85-60fdee75-b9ab-4003-9194-a2446f477a00

29 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Looks like Family Feud has resumed production, they are moving it back to Atlanta and is limiting it to local families. I didn’t realize they ever filmed in Atlanta. https://www.11alive.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/the-a-scene/family-feud-moves-production-back-to-atlanta/85-60fdee75-b9ab-4003-9194-a2446f477a00

It was filmed in Atlanta from 2011 to 2017.

I have a feeling that the reason why shows like the Doctors and Family Feud decided to switch taping locations is likely because both of them were based in the LA area and the restrictions probably wouldn't have allowed for example even family members to travel to the studio for the taping (Family Feud) or any of the personal inside the studio (the Doctors) which I find the latter strange because if I'm correct, Dr. Oz also tapes his shows in California and yet he was able to keep the show going as normally as he can, yet the Doctors couldn't do that. I wonder if there were logistical issues with getting everybody set up to where the show could go on as normal or was it something else?

7 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Dr. Oz also tapes his shows in California and yet he was able to keep the show going as normally as he can, yet the Doctors couldn't do that. I wonder if there were logistical issues with getting everybody set up to where the show could go on as normal or was it something else?

Dr. Oz is actually on the old Millionaire stage at the ABC TV Center in New York (Sony leases), and he had been taping there until he had to quarantine even as the rest of ABC's shows shut down. Then he moved to a Zoom setup.

The Doctors filmed at Paramount, but the studio was half-crowd/half-stage; the new Stamford format seems like it'll be without an audience, even if we get the all-clear.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, Georgie56 said:

Drew Barrymore is airing at 2pm on KTVT. I can imagine they'll move Tamron Hall to KTXA or give her to WFAA.

Update to this: Drew's getting a double-run here as she'll also be on KTXA in primetime at 8pm.

Here in Denver I saw that Drew will be taking over Rachel Ray's time slot at 9:00am on KCNC. No word yet  if Rachel will still air on KCNC at a different time  or if her show will move to another station. 

Archived