2020-21 Syndication News

mrschimpf

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/17/2020 at 7:09 PM, T.L. Hughes said:

Also, interesting, Through the Decades (the daily historical news and pop culture program on Decades, hosted by Bill Kurtis) is apparently being put in weekend syndication as an hour-long weekly. (WBNX is airing at 6:00am Saturdays this fall.)

It fills an hour on the schedule, and it plugs their subchannel. Our Gray station in Topeka reruns Circle's Opry hour from the previous night at 11a Sundays, and there's plenty of plugs for Circle contained within.

1 minute ago, KS-IL-IA said:

It fills an hour on the schedule, and it plugs their subchannel. Our Gray station in Topeka reruns Circle's Opry hour from the previous night at 11a Sundays, and there's plenty of plugs for Circle contained within.

WBTV reruns Opry at 11:35 Saturday nights.

9 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

9 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

WBTV reruns Opry at 11:35 Saturday nights.

KAUT, which doesn't even carry Circle (in fact, no one in Oklahoma City does), has carried Opry Live since May at 7:00 p.m. Saturdays. I assume Circle is syndicating it to other non-affiliates; when they were offering no-credit-card-needed free trials in the Spring, I noticed Sling TV offered the program on a repeating loop on Saturday nights on an event-only channel.

50 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

KAUT, which doesn't even carry Circle (in fact, no one in Oklahoma City does), has carried Opry Live since May at 7:00 p.m. Saturdays. I assume Circle is syndicating it to other non-affiliates; when they were offering no-credit-card-needed free trials in the Spring, I noticed Sling TV offered the program on a repeating loop on Saturday nights on an event-only channel.

Anything to get some extra money, I guess 🤣

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Wendy Williams returns September 21 https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8546983/amp/Wendy-Williams-reveals-12th-season-syndicated-talk-return-September-21.html

But is that the day she starts taping again or when the new episodes actually start airing? As the article says she doesn’t specify.

The tape and air date will be the same. Wendy Williams is live out of New York at 10 a.m. Eastern. If the show sticks to its past production schedule, it will be live M-Th with Friday's show being taped Thursday afternoon. 

17 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

WVTV-DT2 is also carrying Opry on delay, even though they don't carry the network (they don't have the room to due to thier subchannel setup). I would have assumed a Weigel station could also carry it in Milwaukee, but they're at full occupancy themselves, so it may eventually end up on the HC2 station or WIWN/WMKE-CD.

8 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

The tape and air date will be the same. Wendy Williams is live out of New York at 10 a.m. Eastern. If the show sticks to its past production schedule, it will be live M-Th with Friday's show being taped Thursday afternoon. 

I forgot she went live most of the time...

One of the stations in @Megatron81’s neck of the woods has cut its noon news in half, unfortunately  this technically is off topic but only because they have chosen to fill the 12:30 half hour with an infomercial rather than syndicated fare. https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2020/07/24/small-minor-newscast-change-337/

Dr. Oz will be on the move in the Hartford market. This was touched upon in the 2019-20 thread but here is implicit confirmation.

"A full hour" screams a return to the 3:00 PM hour Dr. Oz currently occupies which Better Connecticut had from 2010 to 2019 where it consistently won its timeslot even against competition such as Ellen on WVIT and (from 2014) Dr. Phil on WTNH. Especially since there is no way they walk away from news at 4:00 considering that pre-COVID WFSB was winning the 4:30 news battle and there is no way they'd be losing at 4:00.

Mark my words: the only outside syndication WFSB may have come this fall might be Kelly & Ryan, especially with Meredith forcing People TV on all their stations and WFSB their flagship.

23 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Dr. Oz will be on the move in the Hartford market. This was touched upon in the 2019-20 thread but here is implicit confirmation.

"A full hour" screams a return to the 3:00 PM hour Dr. Oz currently occupies which Better Connecticut had from 2010 to 2019 where it consistently won its timeslot even against competition such as Ellen on WVIT and (from 2014) Dr. Phil on WTNH. Especially since there is no way they walk away from news at 4:00 considering that pre-COVID WFSB was winning the 4:30 news battle and there is no way they'd be losing at 4:00.

Mark my words: the only outside syndication WFSB may have come this fall might be Kelly & Ryan, especially with Meredith forcing People TV on all their stations and WFSB their flagship.

If People TV is forced on WGCL, Dr. Oz will have to move in Atlanta, no other time for him to go because as someone pointed out to me they are locked into airing The 700 Club at 9. but I imagine just to WPCH. They just picked up Dr. Oz this year.

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

If People TV is forced on WGCL, Dr. Oz will have to move in Atlanta, no other time for him to go because as someone pointed out to me they are locked into airing The 700 Club at 9. but I imagine just to WPCH. They just picked up Dr. Oz this year.

WGCL could cut their double run of Big Bang Theory in half and slot People TV in the other slot. It's the easiest move and the path of least resistance.

The bigger issue will be in markets such as Saginaw (WNEM has Jeopardy/Wheel, basically putting People TV on 5.2) and Springfield (where the structure of the market would make ditching IE/ET problematic as Meredith has so much of the market tied up). The Meredith stations in that market have syndication carriage issues as it is, see WGGB.2 and it's quadruple run of The Simpsons and the amount of shows not cleared in the market (anything seen on most NBC O&O's comes to mind).

8 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

WGCL could cut their double run of Big Bang Theory in half and slot People TV in the other slot. It's the easiest move and the path of least resistance.

The bigger issue will be in markets such as Saginaw (WNEM has Jeopardy/Wheel, basically putting People TV on 5.2) and Springfield (where the structure of the market would make ditching IE/ET problematic as Meredith has so much of the market tied up). The Meredith stations in that market have syndication carriage issues as it is, see WGGB.2 and it's quadruple run of The Simpsons and the amount of shows not cleared in the market (anything seen on most NBC O&O's comes to mind).

Oh ok, didn’t realize it was a half hour show. That’s probably what they’ll do.

9 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

WGCL should do a 7pm newscast, put People TV on at 7:30 and move BBT to WPCH.

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

WGCL should do a 7pm newscast, put People TV on at 7:30 and move BBT to WPCH.

Or they could air People TV at 7 and Inside Edition at 7:30.  Regardless WPCH already airs BBT at 10:30. They might as well take the double run from WGCL. 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, Nelson R. said:

One of the stations in @Megatron81’s neck of the woods has cut its noon news in half, unfortunately  this technically is off topic but only because they have chosen to fill the 12:30 half hour with an infomercial rather than syndicated fare. https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2020/07/24/small-minor-newscast-change-337/

Also WZZM making some other changes Access Daily is at 9AM now which was My West Michigan guessing they canceled it, and Judge Judy is on at 10AM to 11AM then at her normal time of 4PM to 5PM.

The Drew Barrymore website is out which lists stations but not times.

WCCB has picked it up in Charlotte and its sister station WOLO picked it up in Columbia. Bahakel was not one of the station groups listed in an article I read so I didn’t see that coming, but good for them. I think it will probably replace one of the THREE airings of Maury. Two are the same episode anyway. 

I figured it was going to WJZY and/or WMYT since Nexstar was one of the station groups listed in that article. But I was wrong. WMYT will have 3 hours to fill that I know of with the syndicated Chicago PD, Caught in Providence and America Says all gone. I could see them picking up a run of Kelly Clarkson and Dr. Oz to help fill the time. I am hoping WJZY will launch a midday or 4pm news or extend Good Day Charlotte into the 9-10am hour and if they do they would pick up something else from WJZY.

KOKI has made a tweak to their syndication schedule today, adding a third episode of Family Feud at 6:30p, replacing Modern Family.

A full hour of Modern Family still runs at 10:30p.

Just now, d247 said:

KOKI has made a tweak to their syndication schedule today, adding a third episode of Family Feud at 6:30p, replacing Modern Family.

A full hour of Modern Family still runs at 10:30p.

I didn’t think there were but two episodes of Modern Family available to air anyway.

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

I didn’t think there were but two episodes of Modern Family available to air anyway.

I should have noted that both episodes will be airing together as a full hour, with the 11:00p episode replacing Seinfeld, which will still air at 11:30p.

Also, looks like KTUL is getting Drew Barrymore, likely at 3pm, replacing America Says and Daytime Jeopardy.

Archived