Shepherd Smith to join CNBC; Launch a new evening show

dman748

CNBC has long had to navigate a challenge after traditional work hours, hoping to keep business-news audiences paying attention after the stock markets have closed for the day. Over the course of its history, CNBC tested talk shows led by John McEnroe, Donny Deutsch and Dennis Miller, and, more recently, utilized competition shows such as “Shark Tank” and “The Profit.”

Here's an idea for CNBC: Simulcast CNBC World.

• Like 3

Not surprised. I liked Shep's show but it was so out of place on a business channel and especially after Mad Money. As said earlier in this thread, no one watches CNBC after 4:00 anyway. I wonder if NBCU could move him over to MSNBC or NBC News Now and move the newscast over there. I know he'll never return to Fox News again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swillh2k2 said:

Mentioned it in Discord, but Chris Licht at least has to give Shep a call, right? It's almost too good a fit with the vision he has for CNN.

I can't see him going to CNN in part because when he left FNC, it appeared that he wanted to get away from being on a 'opinion' heavy network like MSNBC or CNN. Being on CNBC was, in some way, a perfect fit for him. Now with both CNN/WBD and NBCUniversal looking to cut cost, not sure where Shep could land.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

It's part of the reason their weekend Festival of Infomercials has been replaced by NBC Sports programming, but the world programming is weirdly kept behind the 'stop we're all digital now' digital cable paywall or a ridiculous $30/month web subscription with news and analysis which is just thrown on finance boards for free if it's good.

Sad to hear this. I just happened to turn The News on last week and was impressed with the pacing and other stories that are skipped by cable news these days. But it always felt out of place on CNBC.

CNN is also going to be going through cuts soon... I can't imagine them spending the kind of money Shep would command in this environment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MD TV said:

It's been cancelled:

I don't think Shepard Smith was right for CNBC. He would've been better off in Brian William's role as host of the 11th hour, and chief breaking news correspondent over on MSNBC.

If Shepard Smith is staying at NBC, I think he'd be solid as primary substitute for Lester on Nightly News and co-host of major news events and politicslike Savannah Gutherie does. I would like to see Shepherd become host of the CBS Evening News or even take over NNN if Lester were to leave in the near future.

6 hours ago, mre29 said:

Yes! CNBC has nothing to do in the overnight, so why not just show their world business programming. I'm glad CNN similcasts CNN I overnight. 

Hopefully something akin to Nightly Business Report can take over the slot.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Bummer, I always enjoyed watching Shep whenever I got the chance, he anchored very straight forward news, just like he promised he would. I’m surprised NBCU didn’t move him to streaming.

Based off the reaction from social media, it appears people liked him and would watch him else where. 

I could see him anchoring a news hour on CNN *if* it was the right situation, pay and format. 60 Minuets or something streaming could be options. BBC News is set to launch new World News programs based out of D.C/NYC, that would be a great fit. 

As for CNBC, I agree, they should just join CNBC World, it’d be better than shark tank and a great alternative to cable “news” channels.

Interestingly The News isn’t on tonight…..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jrogo said:

Bummer, I always enjoyed watching Shep whenever I got the chance, he anchored very straight forward news, just like he promised he would. I’m surprised NBCU didn’t move him to streaming.

Based off the reaction from social media, it appears people liked him and would watch him else where. 

I could see him anchoring a news hour on CNN *if* it was the right situation, pay and format. 60 Minuets or something streaming could be options. BBC News is set to launch new World News programs based out of D.C/NYC, that would be a great fit. 

As for CNBC, I agree, they should just join CNBC World, it’d be better than shark tank and a great alternative to cable “news” channels.

What's on now?

2 hours ago, jrogo said:

Moving him to streaming and with him taking over NBC News Daily (the version that is simulcast on NBC and NBC News Now) could be an option. Hopefully they can find a role for him somewhere. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

The release from CNBC is he will not take another role on any other NBCUniversal News network (cnbc.com). In another press release from CNBC they updated the programming guide and took off The News with Shepard Smith for today and tomorrow. (nbcumv.com)

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

The release from CNBC is he will not take another role on any other NBCUniversal News network (cnbc.com). In another press release from CNBC they updated the programming guide and took off The News with Shepard Smith for today and tomorrow. (nbcumv.com)

Wonder if he'll be back Monday in time for election coverage the following day.

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

It did feel weird how things just happened today. Probably reveals a slight bit of the tension behind-the-scenes. Shep usually has a short 1-minute news segment in the middle of Closing Bell: Overtime at 4:30 and instead of that today, the anchor said "we have some news of our own today" and then just acknowledged that The News was being canceled. It was definitely spontaneous that the newscast was being cancelled for the day because they then replaced the hour with a documentary they filmed and debuted more than a year ago about the 2021 boom in retail trading. All the usual promos for The News was scrapped throughout the day. I don't expect much for Shep's departure either. I'm also a little curious about what will happen to the reporters they hired for the operation; hopefully their jobs aren't just toast like that as well.

There's genuinely so much CNBC could do given the resources they already have. It's not like Bloomberg hasn't shown how they can distribute/air their worldwide programming. But, oh well...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It did feel weird how things just happened today. Probably reveals a slight bit of the tension behind-the-scenes. Shep usually has a short 1-minute news segment in the middle of Closing Bell: Overtime at 4:30 and instead of that today, the anchor said "we have some news of our own today" and then just acknowledged that The News was being canceled. It was definitely spontaneous that the newscast was being cancelled for the day because they then replaced the hour with a documentary they filmed and debuted more than a year ago about the 2021 boom in retail trading. All the usual promos for The News was scrapped throughout the day. I don't expect much for Shep's departure either. I'm also a little curious about what will happen to the reporters they hired for the operation; hopefully their jobs aren't just toast like that as well.

There's genuinely so much CNBC could do given the resources they already have. It's not like Bloomberg hasn't shown how they can distribute/air their worldwide programming. But, oh well...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/03/cnbc-cancels-the-news-with-shepard-smith-after-two-years.html

Two key things from the article....

'Smith’s show will end at an unspecified date later this month. His team includes about 20 people. The company will work over the coming weeks to help employees affected by the cancellation find other potential opportunities across NBC News Group.'

'While other news organizations such as CNN are going through cost cutting measures, the decision to replace Smith’s show with a nightly business program is strategic in nature. Sullivan is attempting to clarify CNBC’s brand as specifically targeting business, given the many choices on TV and on the internet for more general news, he said in the e-mail.'

• Sad 1

Just now, iron_lion said:

Shep is a really good and recognizable talent, and NBC will be dropping the ball if they don't find another spot for him.

I’m sure Shep wasn’t interested in sticking around after his show was cancelled, especially when CNN has a prime time slot that would be perfect for a known name. They might even be able to get him at a lower price since the only other major outlet who might be interested would be CBS.

Hmm, maybe an Anderson Cooper like deal where he could be a correspondent on 60 Minutes?

• Like 1