Shepherd Smith to join CNBC; Launch a new evening show

dman748

13 hours ago, TheBride said:

I'm not a Fox fan, but Shep Smith may be a great alternative to all of the major overly-opinionated cable "news" shows. And he will crush Joy Reid's ratings.

CNBC & MSNBC have different audiences and plus there won't be a Joy Reid vs Shep Smith as he may crossover to MSNBC & NBC at times for Breaking News and other related work at the NBC Networks.  Smith's show start mid-to late September.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of pics. No traditional open..he just went straight to the news of the day. The studio/set appears to be just off the CNBC newsroom. Also worth noting is that the set doesn’t match the renderings, so maybe this is a temporary setup??

428A98EE-881C-4032-A57C-B7A1E3FBFF6A.thumb.jpeg.e428289aa0e196e9c8ac2ee4445f49a4.jpeg86026FA6-DED7-4869-82C3-F6B525FD9761.thumb.jpeg.dd04b996e2402988ce581549286be15e.jpeg18D85519-7776-423D-AD2A-AB8107A48413.thumb.jpeg.6b2bf86292631ffb47c5cd191e8f08d7.jpegBDDBA057-2296-4FFA-B1E7-39821A969F44.thumb.jpeg.79bde345dc6fc562e0b15971eb3a50de.jpegF7BFD040-247D-40FC-930B-1B0B54E01299.thumb.jpeg.c9ebbe5f2a1a152c74d672e8c2e20a66.jpeg
5765A8D5-B316-4933-984C-FDB68C783B0B.thumb.jpeg.489450594464b084cd6355923c259bb2.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

So far, it's way more interesting to watch than News Nation. I'm liking what I see!

WAY better than NewsNation. It was so great to see Shep again, something of normalcy. Shepard said he will be moving to his new set soon. I love everything except the graphics, they don't look like something NBCArtWorks would normally do, awkward lower thirds and huge CNBC logo just looks weird to me.

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 3

Watched the premiere tonight. Shep seemed very happy to be back on the air again. There was a 50/50 mix of CNBC talent and NBC News talent. It's been a few weeks since I watched NewsNation, so I'm not sure if "The News" is better than NewsNation or not. I wish Shep the best of luck too!

"That's just the noise, and we need to cut through it." - Shep about getting straight to it without a traditional open on the first day. See more below:

2 hours ago, jrogo said:

WAY better than NewsNation. It was so great to see Shep again, something of normalcy. Shepard said he will be moving to his new set soon. I love everything except the graphics, they don't look like something NBCArtWorks would normally do, awkward lower thirds and huge CNBC logo just looks weird to me.

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It was pretty good, all things considered. He bought some hallmarks from Fox Report with him, like "bottom of the hour, top of the news" and "Around The World in 80 Seconds". It felt like watching Fox Report at times.

Keeping these touches that made Shep what he was at his old home and using graphics that strongly resemble Fox's own graphics are definitely done with intention. Here's hoping Shep can really build on his new place and settle in and avoid the cancellation bear (Greta) / making stupid gaffes (Megyn).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I haven't watch the show as I have other things I like to at 7PM. I always liked Shepherd Smith I was surprised he signed with CNBC I thought he'd have gone to MSNBC or CNN that is where I thought that Shepherd was going when he left Fox News.

There  was no room for Shep at both MSNBC and CNN, which is probably why he's on CNBC. The 7:00 hour was mostly reruns prior to Shep's arrival. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:04 PM, TheBride said:

I'm not a Fox fan, but Shep Smith may be a great alternative to all of the major overly-opinionated cable "news" shows. And he will crush Joy Reid's ratings.

I highly doubt that one. The Reidout is a ratings winner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jero23 said:

I highly doubt that one. The Reidout is a ratings winner.

Plus, MSNBC is more popular with viewers. CNBC is mostly a business network, so going from Jim Cramer to Shep has got to be a slight trainwreck. Maybe the ratings would be better if it wasn't on a channel with a small, niche audience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Newsjunkie24: The News with Shepard Smith is a much better newscast than News Nation!!!   It's certainly feels like a national newscast unlike news nation.

Interesting; what are some of the differences between Shepard Smith's newscast and NewsNation?????

• Like 1

News Nation feels like a local newscast that's trying to do national news.   My biggest annoyance with it is they cover a story or event, that in no way is of national interest.  Like this story for instance (Why are they covering this? This isn't of national significance): https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/northeast/connecticut-school-teacher-uses-hip-hop-to-help-homeless-community/

52 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Newsjunkie24: The News with Shepard Smith is a much better newscast than News Nation!!!   It's certainly feels like a national newscast unlike news nation.

I like both equally. Shep's show has  more name recognition compared to NN. I can't watch NN right now due to Nexstar's dispute with Dish, which I have to get TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

News Nation feels like a local newscast that's trying to do national news.   My biggest annoyance with it is they cover a story or event, that in no way is of national interest.  Like this story for instance (Why are they covering this? This isn't of national significance): https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/northeast/connecticut-school-teacher-uses-hip-hop-to-help-homeless-community/

It isn't necessarily of "national significance", but it is a story that directly targets the emotional appeal of what you'll typically see in local news... now in a national package like NewsNation. Remember, Nexstar's NewsNation is developed to be a national newscast with local interests and these local stories directly play into that idea given the context and the audience of the program.

NewsNation isn't going to be the place to find hard news and analysis about America's debt for 3 hours straight, but you will see softer stories that highlight the unique regional fabric of the United States without the whole "doom & gloom" fare and could be of interest to a national audience, despite not being immediately relevant to your area.

Let me copy-paste my post from the Discord server that explained my point that, besides journalistic directions, NewsNation shouldn't be compared 1-to-1 to Smith's program, which focuses on general national subjects like politics and the economy. I also delved into "day one" reactions from some members as well:

I mean, let's not undermine the creative efforts at NewsNation and their unique format. A local-national hybrid has never been done before in this class, and you got to give Nexstar props for that.

Of course, their efforts would not compare to Smith's efforts since his program is formatted differently, targets a different audience, and backed up by seasoned NBC national journalists, and it shows. But with all things considered, I won't agree that NN was "outclassed in every way" by Smith, which is hyperbolic at best.

Like, let's be clear here. Smith's and Nexstar's efforts are making a solid attempt to report factual, solid news. The only difference is that I found NN to be bogged down by bothsiderism, while Smith's program was not. Smith made an attempt to journalistically challenge the information (which is what journalism is all about, mind you), while NN hastily refits the idea of false balance as "unbiased" by covering "two sides of the story".

But journalistic challenging aside though, my point is that there is nothing else different that Shep is bringing to the table in regards to the format of his program. It's not bad, but let's not kid ourselves - this is a tried and true formula that we've seen before and it clearly worked for Shep here. Furthermore, NN's format is creatively different in their own way, and they should be noted for that.

Also, I find the reactions a bit hyperbolic - the fact that NN got a hilariously low rating compared to Shep based on journalistic prowess, while everyone gave NN a 10/10 on day one because they covered weather in primetime?

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...