Shepherd Smith to join CNBC; Launch a new evening show

dman748

From the TVNT Discord files (h/t @TennTV1983) Shepard Smith will now join CNBC and launch an evening news show. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shepard-smith-host-evening-newscast-cnbc-1302483

This is a huge hire for NBC in a lot of ways and given that CNBC doesn't have that much to offer in the evenings bringing in someone with experience like Smith is a huge move by NBC.

I'm assuming he will be used cross-functionally across all NBC News platforms (Network, MS, etc). Would like to see what they do with him long term. Nice get for CNBC, definitely counter-programming to the FOX Business Network.

25 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

I'm assuming he will be used cross-functionally across all NBC News platforms (Network, MS, etc). Would like to see what they do with him long term. Nice get for CNBC, definitely counter-programming to the FOX Business Network.

I would hope not (him appearing on NBC, MSNBC, etc..). It’s best for him to be the ‘face of news coverage’ [ like Lester (NBC), Brian (MSNBC), Jose (Telemundo) Shep (CNBC) ] initially.

Maybe down the line have a broader role to play, but there’s plenty for him to do at CNBC. This could easily turn into another disastrous hire for NBC News if not handled right.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jase said:

I would hope not (him appearing on NBC, MSNBC, etc..). It’s best for him to be the ‘face of news coverage’ [ like Lester (NBC), Brian (MSNBC), Jose (Telemundo) Shep (CNBC) ] initially.

Maybe down the line have a broader role to play, but there’s plenty for him to do at CNBC. This could easily turn into another disastrous hire for NBC News if not handled right.

Plenty of opportunity for NBC to figure out news in the prime access 7pm slot in a way that can't be done with MSNBC - so ginning up CNBC will be interesting to see.

Leadin was the thing that helped Shep at FOX - not sure how strong that hand is at CNBC from 6-7 when the trading viewers get ready for dinner.

He seems a runner to replace Lester whenever he decides to step back but Shep probably feels constrained by a 30 minute network newscast format. He's also maybe a little to close to David Muir in type of audience he'd attract.

Edited by sfomspphl

36 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

If this is the first sign of CNBC wanting Conservative personalities on its air, it's not a good start.

Whether Shepard Smith identifies as Conservative is unclear, and considering he never really felt the need to succumb to the propaganda that Fox News put out on the regular, if he is, he's an old-school Republican (of the ilk who doesn't wade into that kind of thing) or more likely, he's an Independent.

Oddly, not everyone who works as journalists at conservative media outlets actually is right-wing, even though you'd think it need to be a prerequisite; OAN[N] is an example, as discussed in a recent Politico article... and suffice it to say, many of the liberal and progressive employees who thought working at the network was a way to shortcut their elevation to larger-market TV stations are regretting working there.

I also should add that CNBC has aired a straight newscast before with... Wait for it!... The News with Brian Williams, after MSNBC dumped it from its schedule in 2002. It ended two years later.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

If this is the first sign of CNBC wanting Conservative personalities on its air, it's not a good start.

I’m not convinced that this talk of airing conservative programs in prime time is set in stone. Both Shell and Conde are relatively new and my sense is they are just tossing around ideas.

While news/opinion shows are cheaper to make, the reality fair that has aired on CNBC has worked. That said, it only makes sense to continue down that road and expand upon it with in-house productions. I would be very upset if they messed with The Profit. DON’T MESS WITH IT!!! 

15 minutes ago, jase said:

I’m not convinced that this talk of airing conservative programs in prime time is set in stone. Both Shell and Conde are relatively new and my sense is they are just tossing around ideas.

While news/opinion shows are cheaper to make, the reality fair that has aired on CNBC has worked. That said, it only makes sense to continue down that road and expand upon it with in-house productions. I would be very upset if they messed with The Profit. DON’T MESS WITH IT!!! 

Plus, I'm sure people would be upset if Shark Tank reruns stopped airing. Just have Shepard's news program and go onto reality shows after that.

Just the fact he came from Fox News makes me skeptical.  And how Megyn Kelly absolutely BOMBED two years ago with her disasterous stint on Today makes me cringe even more.

But this is all Fox's doing, they threw down the gauntlet with "Fair and Balanced" news, and anyone associated with it has a target on their back, no matter where they end up afterwards.

I'd have to give him a solid chance, but being such a face of that network has all of the stigma attached to it, and there will be a lot of scrutiny because of it.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 hours ago, jase said:

Also, while Fox News performs well in the ratings with right-wing pundits, it's increasingly becoming less profitable to run conservative commentary shows because of the toxicity tied to their content.

Once Fox News decided to go down the rabbit hole of using racism as a propaganda and fear tactic, they've been losing sponsors left and right for their prime time shows. The only reason why they haven't changed course is because of the audience they're able to pull. For some reason though, Fox is not valuing revenue and trying to balance it with the audience: instead of being seen as necessary equals, audience trumps revenue for them. When any other network realizes its programming is unprofitable, they would dump the content that's not working in favor of something else.

OANN likely is being passed by major advertisers for the same reason as well as for the bad reputation it gets for commentary that is absent logic and reason, to put it nicely. For CNBC to go down that route would end up resulting in the network not being able to, as one of its slogans says, "Profit from It" down the line.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Just the fact he came from Fox News makes me skeptical.  And how Megyn Kelly absolutely BOMBED two years ago with her disasterous stint on Today makes me cringe even more.

CNBC is such a different audience than the Today Show. He'll be fine. They probably learned from mistakes made with Megyn and Greta and realized that it would be safer to put him somewhere like CNBC than to thrust him onto MSNBC or the network.

• Like 4

If Greta was placed on CNBC and not MSNBC I bet she would still be there today.  

I get the feeling CNBC will morph more in primetime to opinion but keep the popular shows as the profit, Americans greed shark tank etc to 10pm and weekends. 

• Like 3

Just saw Shep’s interview on CNBC previewing the show. He said that there’s not going to be any opinion from him, just the news. Good to hear, we need less opinion in prime time, not more. Also I miss his wit, so I’m glad he’s back. 

I think this is different from Megyn. She disrupted Today's Take which was a show that worked. Shep isn’t disrupting much, just an hour of Shark Tank which already airs all night. I don’t think they’ll be going conservative for all of prime time. That field is already dominated by FNC, and their entertainment shows are doing relatively well. 

Edited by froyo49
  • Like 5

Here’s his interview from this morning previewing the new show.  

(The interview took place right as today’s Supreme Court decisions came down, which is what the cut in the middle is and why he’s talking about it so much. In a way he’s already filling his role as breaking news anchor.)

• Like 2

'The News with Shepard Smith" ...

Remind you of something?  "The News with Brian Williams" ... and that started on CNBC as well if my memory serves me right.

Always loved that theme the show had.  

If they were smart, they would keep the theme for Shepard and update the look.  Good pick CNBC.

-- Matt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, susquvalleywgal said:

'The News with Shepard Smith" ...

Remind you of something?  "The News with Brian Williams" ... and that started on CNBC as well if my memory serves me right.

Always loved that theme the show had.  

If they were smart, they would keep the theme for Shepard and update the look.  Good pick CNBC.

-- Matt

The News with Brian Williams actually started out on MSNBC (which premeried the day the network made its debut) and then when Williams was announced as the successor to Tom Brokaw on NBC Nightly News when Brokaw retired and subsquently Williams stepped down from The News it was when the progam moved to CNBC from MSNBC in 2002 and it was retitled to "The News on CNBC"

Edited by oknewsguy

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

The News with Brian Williams actually started out on MSNBC (which premeried the day the network made its debut) and then when Williams was announced as the successor to Tom Brokaw on NBC Nightly News when Brokaw retired and subsquently Williams stepped down from The News it was when the progam moved to CNBC from MSNBC in 2002 and it was retitled to "The News on CNBC"

One has to wonder if NBC is thinking ahead once again, could Shepard Smith be the next heir to the throne after Lester Holt?   If things get normal again after this year (when pigs fly), maybe journalism could be making a comeback.

It worked for CBS when Katie Couric left and they went to the "original reporting" era with Scott Pelley.  But the "ol' Boys Club" being unraveled (finally) put that back into turmoil again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

One has to wonder if NBC is thinking ahead once again, could Shepard Smith be the next heir to the throne after Lester Holt?   If things get normal again after this year (when pigs fly), maybe journalism could be making a comeback.

I could see such scenario but the thing is though Shepard is 56 and Lester is 61 so both of them are only 5 years apart

I won't go much further into speculation beyond what I will say though but if say Lester continued to do NN until 70 (so for another 8 and a half to 9 years) Smith would be 64 to 65 by the time he would step into the NN chair (assuming Smith is the successor to Holt).

I have to wonder what other options NBC has for Lester's replacement beyond Shep?

14 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I could see such scenario but the thing is though Shepard is 56 and Lester is 61 so both of them are only 5 years apart

I won't go much further into speculation beyond what I will say though but if say Lester continued to do NN until 70 (so for another 8 and a half to 9 years) Smith would be 64 to 65 by the time he would step into the NN chair (assuming Smith is the successor to Holt).

I have to wonder what other options NBC has for Lester's replacement beyond Shep?

They have Savannah, Craig, Chuck and Katy.

16 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I wonder if someone like Nicole Wallace or Hallie Jackson would be good for the job, or even Stephanie Ruhle. There's quite a bit of younger faces working for NBC News.