The Jacobson Effect: CBS 2 Down 31% in July Ratings

Turns out the Seventh Month of the Seventh Year of the new millennium hasn't yielded any change in luck or fortune for the folks at WBBM. In fact, according to numbers cited by Bob Feder in this morning's "Sun-Times", Channel 2 is worse off than it was this time last year. According to Nielsen, WBBM has seen a 31% drop in viewership since this time last year. Channel 2's 10 PM News now only pulls in a paltry 2.9 rating and a 5 share. In July, according to the "Sun-Times": "Channel 2 attracted less than half the audience of NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5 and just one-third the audience of ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7." And it seems those numbers will only go lower, as WFLD's new 10PM show "The Ten" continues to grow and gain traction with Chicago audiences. Who would've thought that WFLD would one day end up edging out WBBM in the late news race.

WBBM also further damaged their reputation in July with the airing of a controversial video tape showing WMAQ reporter Amy Jacobsen at the Plainfield home of accused murder Craig Stebic. Feder writes: "From start to finish, Channel 2 botched its handling of the story, and eroded its credibility among a dwindling number of viewers."

So the question is: how much lower can Channel 2 go? Is the station beyond the point of no return?

FULL ARTICLE FROM TODAY'S SUN-TIMES: http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/501003,CST-FIN-feder08.article

Don't forget the anchor change. In Feder's article it struck me that the only newscast Antonio Mora still fronts didn't see the huge decline that the one's he was replaced on did.

With ratings this low, and we're now talkin Carol Marin low, something will quickly have to done if this continues. I think it'd be wise to smarten things up and put Antonio Mora & Mary Ann Childers in there and see if the numbers don't immediately improve.

Don't forget the anchor change. In Feder's article it struck me that the only newscast Antonio Mora still fronts didn't see the huge decline that the one's he was replaced on did.

With ratings this low, and we're now talkin Carol Marin low, something will quickly have to done if this continues. I think it'd be wise to smarten things up and put Antonio Mora & Mary Ann Childers in there and see if the numbers don't immediately improve.

Plus if Joe Ahern doesn't get his contract as President/GM renewed, I believe him and CBS2 News Director will get the boot and bring somebody to *try* restoring the credibility of Ch.2.

as far as on air goes, diann burns and mark malone should be fired.

alita guillen and jim williams should be the main weekday anchors.

i know that people are gonna get pissed and probably slam my karma points, but i think that they need joel cheatwood, i believe he is the answer, and dont give me the whole "they tried it once" thing, if done right, cbs2 can and would appeal to younger audiences and those tired of the same boring crap everynight, by all the stations (fox excluded)

as far as on air goes, diann burns and mark malone should be fired.

alita guillen and jim williams should be the main weekday anchors.

i know that people are gonna get pissed and probably slam my karma points, but i think that they need joel cheatwood, i believe he is the answer, and dont give me the whole "they tried it once" thing, if done right, cbs2 can and would appeal to younger audiences and those tired of the same boring crap everynight, by all the stations (fox excluded)

They need to be like the Kurtis/Jacobson era. Maybe they can bring Peter Dunn & David Friend to shitface even more WBBM's operation. They need competent management, like their sisters KCBS and KPIX. OR hell, at least try to be competent like WLS. And I have to agree with fmr. newsboy, Antonio/Rob & Mary Ann Childers would make a great change, add the firing of ND and a new ND + GM, they can regain some of their old proudness.

she wasnt that popular at WLS either

Spot on! Before she jumped to CBS 2, when the contract negotiation came up and didn't got anywhere, she was quickly pulled of ABC 7 and replaced with Cheryl and Kathy. If she was SOOO popular and over-rated, then WLS wouldn't had to pull her, right slim?

exactly!!

she wasnt that popular at WLS either

Spot on! Before she jumped to CBS 2, when the contract negotiation came up and didn't got anywhere, she was quickly pulled of ABC 7 and replaced with Cheryl and Kathy. If she was SOOO popular and over-rated, then WLS wouldn't had to pull her, right slim?

• 3 weeks later...

The only way they can pull themselves out of the ratings basement is by wiping the slate clean. Start with new management, then change the talent where it needs to be changed. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. WBBM used to be the ratings leader, but that was in the 80's, and times have changed.

The only way they can pull themselves out of the ratings basement is by wiping the slate clean. Start with new management, then change the talent where it needs to be changed. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. WBBM used to be the ratings leader, but that was in the 80's, and times have changed.

WBBM has already done that how many times now since the '80s?

Like I've said in the past, WBBM's ratings problems are beyond who's sitting at the anchor desk and who's running the station..

Archived