KCPQ Switching to O&O Look?

DonDonP1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:48 AM, DonDonP1 said:

OK, Q13 Fox updated its website. Unclear on when its new on-air graphics and music would debut. Yes, the Fox Corporation is keeping the Q13 branding alive and well. Unclear on when Fox would revert the station's newscast title from Q13 News to Q13 Fox News. Whether KZJO would be rebranded as Q13 Plus, that is unclear as well.

https://www.q13fox.com/

2099107259_default-image1.thumb.png.f7dcdffa10327a5200d81b6d4424242d.png

The thing I find exceedingly awful about this logo is that it's using 3 different typefaces.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The thing I find exceedingly awful about this logo is that it's using 3 different typefaces.

I’m more disappointed that they’re reverting back to “Q13 Fox”. I know when KTVU rebranded from “KTVU Channel 2” to “Fox 2”, everybody was up in arms in San Francisco, so they revised it to “KTVU Fox 2”. Let’s see how Seattle will react to “Q13 Fox” making a comeback.

On 7/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, NEOMatrix said:

Let’s see how Seattle will react to “Q13 Fox” making a comeback.

???

What comeback? It was never dropped!

KCPQ was always known as "Q13 Fox" for the longest time, so this name change is hardly going to be noticed by anyone.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, Journalist said:

???

What comeback? It was never dropped!

KCPQ was always known as "Q13 Fox" for the longest time, so this name change is hardly going to be noticed by anyone.

I am totally cool with whether or not the Fox Corporation would revert Q13's newscast title by reinstating the Fox name. I am also cool with whether Fox would keep KZJO's current branding or change it to either "My JoeTV" or "Q13 Plus."

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

As of 1pm CT this afternoon, the proprietary Tribune Media system is completely depreciated; WITI has its new website and apps up. You have to download the new app and delete the old one. No graphics changes, nor do I expect any in the next few months.

So long, Local TV and Tribune.

12 minutes ago, MyNewsArchive said:

So, KCPQ's Apps are showing a slightly modified logo (sharper corners than current one)... I guess it's time for a new logo... (new vs old logo)

It's not quite the number font on the Seahawks uniform, but it's darned close to Fox Sports' font if you look at their pre-'18 packages and score numbers. I actually like that look better.

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It's not quite the number font on the Seahawks uniform, but it's darned close to Fox Sports' font if you look at their pre-'18 packages and score numbers. I actually like that look better.

Antenna? It brings to mind Zarana more for me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, MyNewsArchive said:

So, KCPQ's Apps are showing a slightly modified logo (sharper corners than current one)... I guess it's time for a new logo... (new vs old logo)

q13.PNG

q13old.PNG

And the "new" Q13 logo is on its website as well. Again, I am totally cool on whether or not Q13 would be the only Fox O&O where only the general branding includes the Fox name in the way that WNBC 4 in New York is the only NBC O&O where the NBC name is in the general branding alone.

Here's a better look of the new logo with the "FOX" attached to it. It's obvious why they did this. So it can be better aiigned with the Fox logo.

42498363_300x300.webp

I like the 2016 "Q" design better because it stood out more. This just look more..... FOX-ified.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:23 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

I would hope that Q13 News would be the news branding, but Q13 FOX would be generic branding.

OK, re-edited. Maybe the Fox Corporation would leave the Q13 News branding alone.

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Here's a better look of the new logo with the "FOX" attached to it. It's obvious why they did this. So it can be better aiigned with the Fox logo.

42498363_300x300.webp

I like the 2016 "Q" design better because it stood out more. This just look more..... FOX-ified.

I love both versions, since they paid homage to the original "Q" part of the original Q13 logo that was used between 1980 and 1991.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:56 PM, CircleWXYZ said:

KCPQ might get the new graphics by the fall.  WXMI by next year at least.

And may go WNBC by keeping the "Q13 News" branding instead of reverting its newscast title, making Q13 the only Fox O&O to have the Fox name in general branding only. After all, the Q13 branding has been well-known for nearly four decades. If Fox decides to change Q13's news branding to "Q13 Fox Seattle News" in addition to adding the "Seattle" part to the general branding, then that is fine by me.

• 1 month later...

Well, the wait is over: Q13 Fox Seattle has officially changed its on-air graphics and theme music to the ones used by the rest of the Fox Television Stations Group. It debuted at the start of the Q13 Weekend News at 9 p.m. on Joe TV and I am loving it! Also, Q13 Fox is remaining the only Fox O&O to incorporate the Fox name in its general branding, but not the news branding. That I love as well.eral branding, but not the news branding. That I love as well. Oh, and in addition to using Stephen Arnold's "Beyond," Q13 used a main cut from OSI's "Fox Affiliate News Theme" for the "This is Q13 News" opening title sequence as well.

DMA37Dude also made this explaination in the description of his video (and this might hold the key in explaining why all of the former Tribune stations regardless of who ultimately bought them) are switching out the Creative West pkg

All former Tribune stations are being forced to switch graphics in quick order due to Tribune's former graphics playout system being built in Adobe Flash, which is being discontinued at the end of the year. While the stations that stayed with Nexstar are either retaining their existing packages (rebuilt for a new CG system) or picking up existing packages designed for that company, the stations spun to other groups (Tegna, Scripps and Fox) are switching to standardized graphics these companies already use, and installing new CG systems as well to accommodate this, in the case of Fox, Chyron systems.

And not only that but all of the former Tribune stations (including KCPQ) are being forced to train its staff how to use and install the new systems regardless of owner.

That explains why other former Tribune stations are also switching pkgs.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, CircleSeven said:

Vid courtesy of "dma37dude" from YT.

Love the use of light blue on the edges of the L3, in lieu of red like the rest of the stations.

Thank you! As do I. Thank you, Fox, for keeping the Q13 brand alive and well and for making Q13 the only Fox O&O to have the Fox name in its general branding and only that.

1 hour ago, Samantha said:

Why in the world are they using any OSI package cuts?

Hello. Simple: Q13 Fox, like WTXF Fox 29 in Philadelphia, is using the main theme from the OSI package for the opening title sequence only.

Archived