KCPQ Switching to O&O Look?

DonDonP1

OK, Q13 Fox updated its website. Unclear on when its new on-air graphics and music would debut. Yes, the Fox Corporation is keeping the Q13 branding alive and well. I am cool with whether or not Fox would revert the station's newscast title from Q13 News to Q13 Fox News. Whether KZJO would be rebranded as Q13 Plus, that is unclear as well.

https://www.q13fox.com/

2099107259_default-image1.thumb.png.f7dcdffa10327a5200d81b6d4424242d.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite debuting on 4:30AM today so it seems the new graphics and open will probably premiere after the early morning newscast.

image.thumb.png.e144780bb79e0df8bf17b98cf733eb6f.png

Also, WITI's app store listing below should give clues as to its new branding. The 6's font will remain, and "FOX" won't be housed in the red box, at least in the example picture in the listing (as opposed to the app's icon).

As an aside, since Fox doesn't seem to infringe much on stations' established local branding (such as with KTVU), I don't think they'll be changing "FOX6 WakeUp News" to "Good Day Milwaukee" or something of that nature. But at least they already use "Beyond," so there isn't as much to change. 

image.thumb.png.97ea0c64cb13a3911b1aae0b492c0a93.png

6 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

OK, Q13 Fox updated its website. Its new on-air graphics and music will debut at 4 a.m. PDT this Canada Day on the Q13 Fox morning news. Yes, the Fox Corporation is keeping the Q13 branding alive and well and will revert the station's newscast title from Q13 News to Q13 Fox News. Unclear on whether KZJO would be rebranded as Q13 Plus.

I don’t know if they will change KZJO, FTS didn’t change WMYT’s to My55 from My12 when it bought the stations from Capitol, let alone to Fox 46 Plus, other than changing it from My TV 12 to just My12, and it doesn’t look like Nexstar is going to change it either. 12 is their cable channel, Capitol started that branding.

Just now, JosiahCubed said:

I'm currently watching the livestream of Q13 right now, and they still haven't updated the graphics yet (and its almost 9am PT/12pm ET).

My guess it will likely be during the noon or evening newscasts.

Just now, Nelson R. said:

I'm thinking the same thing. Thinking back to 2018, WJZ switched to the current CBS O&O graphics on the noon newscast too.

8 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Hello, Nelson. Q13 Fox has not launched its midday newscasts, yet. It might in the fall and would air at 11 a.m. rather than Noon. Maybe the change in on-air graphics and music would happen in time for either the News at 4 or the News at 5 or the two-hour primetime news on Joe TV.

UPDATE: The change may happen at either 8 or 9 p.m. on Joe TV or 10 or 11 p.m. on Q13 Fox.

1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

I'm thinking the same thing. Thinking back to 2018, WJZ switched to the current CBS O&O graphics on the noon newscast too.

WJZY switched to the same graphics that KCPQ is switching to (despite being the station FTS gave up, along with their sister WMYT, to get Seattle and Milwaukee) the day after MLK day on their 5:00 news, before the trade went through. So it could be then. Then again they don’t have a noon news.

EDIT: Actually I see that KCPQ doesn’t have noon news either. So it will probably be on the 4 or 5:00 news.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I don’t know if they will change KZJO.

It'll probably come in fall and become Fox 13 Plus so they don't have to burn money/labor on promos that'll be useless by September; there's no way they're keeping that embarrassing branding (sane-era Tribune only kept it because KZJO is so lowly-rated that it would've been pointless to rebrand as they tried to keep Fox happy with KCPQ).

Like this post if you're old enough to remember the WITI MyFox site being covered in the "kitebox" logo that was never once used on-air.

Is there anything besides the website update that is leading people to believe KCPQ is launching new graphics today?

The web systems are often usually the easiest things to flip when it comes to station sales. The thing that might be rough for some of these ex-Tribune stations will be switching off whatever homebrew newsroom software they had and going back to iNEWS. Not sure what graphics platform they were using, but Fox is standardized on Chyron. And of course covid throws a wrench into a lot of that I can imagine.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

Like this post if you're old enough to remember the WITI MyFox site being covered in the "kitebox" logo that was never once used on-air.

Is there anything besides the website update that is leading people to believe KCPQ is launching new graphics today?

I have no idea what the relevancy is tbh, but the streaming loop is now within the F( 0 )X standard.

Interestingly the domain Q13Fox.com directs to the new website. The domain Q13.com still (redirects) as  an alias to the old website, tribkcpq.wordpress.com, which is still live! So, to the Fox Executives watching this thread, kill this. I am sad Q13 is changing it's look, but it's not inline with your ridiculous brand.

Also, quick note: The former KWGN word-press site still exists! https://localtvkwgn.wordpress.com/ I really would appreciate it if Byron Grandby brought back the separate website.

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Not quite debuting on 4:30AM today so it seems the new graphics and open will probably premiere after the early morning newscast.

Also, WITI's app store listing below should give clues as to its new branding. The 6's font will remain, and "FOX" won't be housed in the red box, at least in the example picture in the listing (as opposed to the app's icon).

As an aside, since Fox doesn't seem to infringe much on stations' established local branding (such as with KTVU), I don't think they'll be changing "FOX6 WakeUp News" to "Good Day Milwaukee" or something of that nature. But at least they already use "Beyond," so there isn't as much to change. 

No new graphics yet at the late newscast. So...maybe not today

On 7/1/2020 at 6:47 AM, Roadrunner said:

Well, the morning newscast kept the Wake-Up News title throughout WITI's first run under Fox Television Stations, so... of course, it's gonna stick around. That should be a given.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:48 AM, DonDonP1 said:

OK, Q13 Fox updated its website. Its new on-air graphics and music will debut at 4 a.m. PDT this Canada Day on the Q13 Fox morning news. Yes, the Fox Corporation is keeping the Q13 branding alive and well and will revert the station's newscast title from Q13 News to Q13 Fox News. Unclear on whether KZJO would be rebranded as Q13 Plus.

I would hope that Q13 News would be the news branding, but Q13 FOX would be generic branding.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:48 AM, DonDonP1 said:

Since we’re talking graphics they updated the “We will be right back”

88055680-D875-407A-9C4B-6FF0072CF95B.png

On 7/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, Georgie56 said:

Not every O&O uses "Good Day" for their morning show.

Nor does every O&O excludes the "Fox" name from its newscasts. Unclear on whether or not Q13 would be the only Fox O&O to have the "Fox" name in its general branding, but not the news branding. Also, KTVU is the only Fox O&O that does not change its URL; its URL--ktvu.com--mentions the call sign as opposed to its station branding. KTVU is also the only Fox O&O to has the callsign and the Fox name in its general and news brandings.

Archived