Hugh Downs (1921-2020)

24994J

Morning mainstay on NBC, Friday night fixture on ABC, and one of the most visible faces in the history of television, Hugh Downs has died. The legendary broadcaster passed away from natural causes at his home in Arizona. The 99 year old would've celebrated his 100th next Valentine's Day.

https://www.today.com/news/hugh-downs-former-today-host-legendary-newsman-dead-99-t185831

Obviously, I never got to watch his work throughout his career, but watching clips of the shows he fronted on YouTube shows he truly was one of the most multifaceted personalities in American TV history and one of a kind. News (Today), newsmagazine (20/20) and game shows (Concentration) - he did them all and he did them all well. Many who aspire to reach his caliber or just work in the industry, and his fans will bo doubt be devastated.

My condolences to his family and many colleagues.

May he rest in peace. 

RIP, I still remember growing up in the late 90s watching the Friday night lineup on ABC, it was TGIF then 20/20. Walters and Downs were an epic duo. Somewhat poetic that he passed away in the year 2020. 

Archived