The seven-year-old, TMZ on TV-inspired news analysis show anchored by Bill Spadea, which aired on WWOR-TV/WNYW in NYC and WTXF-TV in Philadelphia, has quietly been cancelled. Its final airing was last Thursday (June 18). The show's social media pages are also no more.

From what I could find from a Reddit forum, apparently Spadea has been using the show as his bully pulpit to spread COVID-19 misinformation. Maybe that was more than Fox Television was willing to handle.

As a result, WWOR-TV has made a couple of changes in its late evening lineup as of Monday (6-22): The Book of Sean and Out Loud with Claudia Jordan from the Fox Soul streaming service now run between 11:00p and 1:00a. WNYW has placed a Dish Nation rerun in the 1:00a half-hour formerly filled by Chasing News, and WTXF-TV has replaced its 3:00a airing with a rerun of Extra.

EDIT -- Politico has a story on the end of the show: https://www.politico.com/newsletters/new-jersey-playbook/2020/06/23/chasing-news-runs-out-of-breath-489605

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

I've brought this up on the Discord before but it's relevant here: At this point, what is keeping WNYW from giving WWOR the WDCA treatment and starting up news in prime time?

I know the dynamic in DC is different with WTTG doing significantly more news than WNYW, but I think and 8:00 and a 9:00 with MyNet on overnights would be a good idea. It works in DC, why wouldn't it in NYC?

• Like 2

Not that Chasing News was watchable or fulfilling any semblance of a public service mandate, but it's absolutely wild that WWOR is able to get away with completely reneging on the conditions of their license, and that the FCC is just going to let it slide.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DMA said:

Not that Chasing News was watchable or fulfilling any semblance of a public service mandate, but it's absolutely wild that WWOR is able to get away with completely reneging on the conditions of their license, and that the FCC is just going to let it slide.

The FCC just doesn't care anymore. Neither do the corporate broadcasters.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DMA said:

Anyone know if it even registered on the ratings scale?  

Let's see if things change in January with the FCC and enforcement of the agreements between WWOR which Fox pledged to keep.  Pai(d off) probably won't be the head anymore.

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 2

I got a kick out of the early days of it - when he was fashioning himself as a Harvey Levin - big egos can be entertaining

Hadn't watched in a long while so don't know how it devolved. Hard to believe it's been 7 years - not bad of a run for an upstart format in news.

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, nickp said:

it would be nice for WWOR to actually provide a newscast again

You would think in this era of expanding newscasts (and with political ad dollars at stake this year) WNYW would think about launching a NJ-centered newscast on WWOR somewhere in the 7-10pm block. Rake in the ad $$$, expand the news brand, and actually serve the community the station is licensed to serve (what a concept!)

• Like 2

Clearly Fox feels they make money having a low cost operation with no news, lots of Family Feud, and the rerun package from MNT.  This station is a shell of itself from before the purchase by Fox.  Not sure how much any of their programs register in terms of ratings.  It's a waste of a channel IMO.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

Clearly Fox feels they make money having a low cost operation with no news, lots of Family Feud, and the rerun package from MNT.  This station is a shell of itself from before the purchase by Fox.  Not sure how much any of their programs register in terms of ratings.  It's a waste of a channel IMO.

The WRNN channel sharing deal (another example of a New York station that has no real reason to exist now that their FiOS deal is dead) probably makes them enough to justify not changing the schedule either. If not for the Buzzr and H&I subchannels or hospitals needing non-news content for their waiting rooms, WWOR is a non-entity in the entire Tri-State...a fall from where it was a superstation in the 80s.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, scrabbleship said:

I've brought this up on the Discord before but it's relevant here: At this point, what is keeping WNYW from giving WWOR the WDCA treatment and starting up news in prime time?

I know the dynamic in DC is different with WTTG doing significantly more news than WNYW, but I think and 8:00 and a 9:00 with MyNet on overnights would be a good idea. It works in DC, why wouldn't it in NYC?

Could be due to the fact WLNY already has a 9pm newscast. Even though its just the CBSN New York livestream, for some reason it still gets listed as WLNY News. But that could be why it hasn’t happened. If they did it in the way WDCA did it, I’d say it could work. Certainly has more worth than airing the same exact Family Feud reruns from 7pm, again at 11pm. The whole schedule is a mess